Cornwall Football Forum

More games earlier?

Looking at the Combo league after todays results, Culdrose, who have restrictions on their games, have played the least with 9 games. All other combo teams have played at least 15 games, with Penryn, Newquay and Porthleven managing 19 (over half way through their league season)

Across the Trelawny leagues, Praze reserves have played the most league games with 12 but Holmans have managed just 4 league fixture. Given that the magnificent cornish weather usually leads to cancelled games in winter and the usual end of season complaints as May comes to a close, should we not have played more games in the trelawny leagues by now?

Peggy,

At Gwinear, we've had three or four Saturday's free so far this season, as has other teams in our league. All it takes is someone at the CCFA to organise fixtures so that each team has a game each week. It's not a hard thing to organise. The Weather is getting worse now so this problem will increase and I cerrtainly wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen this year as it did last year, maybe even on a greater scale.

There are too many spare Saturday's in the fixture lists, Saturday's that could easily be filled. Today was just another day we haven't played this season.

there's more reasons why more games haven't been played. we (chacewater) have had 2 Saturdays free of fixtures and another 2 where there was a fixture but no referee assigned causing them to be postponed. Its about referee availability as well. The other reason is there are a lot of teams that had their season started late due to cricket seasons finishing. But that's not all the teams just some so maybe the ccfa could have looked at that and got more games played earlier on at teams venues where cricket season does not affect and get those out of the way that would have helped getting more games played. Not sure what the 1st date was that a trelawny game was played but ours was the start of September and we had 2 Wednesday night games and not until mid to end of September was our first Saturday game and our home pitch is not affected by cricket seasons. I know the combo league started early august (if my memory is correct) and by the time we played our 1st game the combo season was up to between 8 and 10 games. Long story short referee shortage has affected this topic which there isn't a lot more that can be done at the present time we've got to make do with the number of refs we have, but I do think consideration for teams who could have hosted more games earlier on to get more games completed earlier on before the weather hits.

there's more reasons why more games haven't been played. we (chacewater) have had 2 Saturdays free of fixtures and another 2 where there was a fixture but no referee assigned causing them to be postponed. Its about referee availability as well. The other reason is there are a lot of teams that had their season started late due to cricket seasons finishing. But that's not all the teams just some so maybe the ccfa could have looked at that and got more games played earlier on at teams venues where cricket season does not affect and get those out of the way that would have helped getting more games played. Not sure what the 1st date was that a trelawny game was played but ours was the start of September and we had 2 Wednesday night games and not until mid to end of September was our first Saturday game and our home pitch is not affected by cricket seasons. I know the combo league started early august (if my memory is correct) and by the time we played our 1st game the combo season was up to between 8 and 10 games. Long story short referee shortage has affected this topic which there isn't a lot more that can be done at the present time we've got to make do with the number of refs we have, but I do think consideration for teams who could have hosted more games earlier on to get more games completed earlier on before the weather hits.

CCFA or Trelawny League?

The Trelawny League asks each club when they want to start and end their playingf season and the Fixture Secretary arranges games within those and the League's perameters.

For various reasons,cricket,work commitments,holidays,etc.,some clubs are unable to start until September and every club will be affected by the referee shortage.Unfortunately Paul Murphy cannot work miracles and conjure an official for every game at the moment.

CCFA/Trelawny League, whoever it is that fixtures.

It does make me wonder how The fixtures at the beginning of the season revolve around cricket... This is football... If people would rather play cricket, let them. I don't see why it should affect the football (as you can tell, I'm not a cricket fan). Obviously that will offer a difference of opinion.

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that we had a Saturday spare, as did someone else in our league... The officials at both clubs tried to arrange a game but we're told no... I can't remember why, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Junior Cup games have a massive affect on league games aswell for reserve sides!

The only way I think that fixture backlog can be resolved is by better fixturing (in the sense that teams, if not scheduled to play on a Saturday can arrange the fixture themselves), later finishes (shortening the summer break) or/and limiting the amount of teams per league.

Looking at the weather already and the amount of games that were cancelled yesterday, I think this season is going to prove just as bad as the last :/

CCFA/Trelawny League, whoever it is that fixtures.

It does make me wonder how The fixtures at the beginning of the season revolve around cricket... This is football... If people would rather play cricket, let them. I don't see why it should affect the football (as you can tell, I'm not a cricket fan). Obviously that will offer a difference of opinion.

I think it's more to do with grounds being unavailable than teams not playing due to players playing cricket!

In fairness Gerald does a great job to get games on and im speaking now from the Secretaries point of view.

We've had weeks in the past where we had a pitch free, no fixture and other teams without ganes.

All it takes is ur secretary to contact Gerald and ask to move a fixture forward and paul Murphy if he can assign a ref. If no refs avl and u know a ref and the other team r willing to use that ref then Gerald will sort it for u.

Come on guys instead of moaning about no games be proactive and help Gerald. Its not an easy thing to arrange 7 games in 6 leagues each week esp with teams sharing pitches etc and combo times taking priority over those shared pitches.

So instead of moaning we dont have a game and those others that dont take it on urselves to sort it. Gerald will appreciate ur help and ul getta game.

Simple really.

I'm certainly not moaning about it... Im just a little concerned that towards the end of the season, there will be a repeat of last season. It drives me crazy as I work away weeknights so I miss a lot of games. Obviously that can't be helped though.

It is frustrating having Saturday's with no football, especially when the weather is getting bad. With all that said, I would personally hate the task of fixturing the games, I take my hat off to anyone that does it.

I'm not moaning nor slating anyone for it, just voicing my own personal opinion :)