Cornwall Football Forum

bizarre booking

fenman

My team had a strange double yellow card sending off on Saturday which referees might want to comment on .I didn't raise the subject with the referee after the game because there's just no point arguing , it's done and there's no appeal .

A foul was given , the guilty party turns to jog away the opposition take the free kick quickly and attack , the attack breaks down the referee stops play and books the player because he hadn't retreated 10 yards from the ball when the free kick was taken .

Second half similar situation same player commits foul ( dirty bugger ) opposition again well drilled take the kick quickly and score , because some of our team haven't had time to organise themselves , the referee then issues second yellow card for failing to go back 10 yards from the kick .I very rarely defend a player for bookings etc but in this instance I can't seen how he could have got back 10 yards in the time he got up from the ground and the kick being taken . Even the opposition were stunned because they believed that they'd taken the kick before the referee was ready .

From your description, this can't be right. If a player takes a "quick free kick", with an opposition player within 10 yards, it is not a problem UNLESS the opposition player deliberately tries to impede the kick. Simply being less than 10 yards from a free kick is not a cautionable offence.

This is why it's bizarre particularly the second one , he didn't blow his whistle and the opposition didn't think the goal would stand because the ball wasn't in play .It'll be interesting what he says in his report . I don't like to complain about referees , as my old chairman used to tell us " if you were any good at football you would be playing at a higher level and the same goes for referees " but sometimes they stretch the limit of patience !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in reply but the weather seems to have affected the internet for the past week or so . I think that this is one of those situations that is best forgotten about after having paid the fines and served the resulting one match ban . The free kick was taken quickly while the referee was talking to 2 of my players , he wasn't even aware that the free kick had been taken . As I said it was bizarre , but in terms everything else in life it's best forgotten and we'll welcome the referee to a game in the future and he'll probably have blinder .My whole point is that everyone is human ( except players ) and we make mistakes , in this case there was no malice or sinister intention on the referees behalf but it still cost the player £25 and a ban and adds another point to the clubs disciplinary record .