Cornwall Football Forum

Afc St Austell V Bude Fc junior cup area final

Reinstated players = NONE

As for the 'disallowed goal', the free kick from which the player scored was awarded for a high foot, which if you know anything about football is classed as 'dangerous play'. 'Dangerous play' free kicks are INDIRECT, therefore, when the ball went straight into the net from the free kick, it was correctly disallowed.

St Austell looked extremely comfortable in the first half, and I thought they were going to go on to win comfortably. Some poor finishing up top, resulted in Bude getting the ONE chance they needed (albeit in the 98th minute!!!) to take the game into extra time. God only knows where the referee managed to get 8 minutes of injury time from, but just summed up the officials tonight who I believe were VERY poor and had no control over the game.

The right team won.

Roll on Easter Monday!

Reinstated players = NONE

As for the 'disallowed goal', the free kick from which the player scored was awarded for a high foot, which if you know anything about football is classed as 'dangerous play'. 'Dangerous play' free kicks are INDIRECT, therefore, when the ball went straight into the net from the free kick, it was correctly disallowed.

St Austell looked extremely comfortable in the first half, and I thought they were going to go on to win comfortably. Some poor finishing up top, resulted in Bude getting the ONE chance they needed (albeit in the 98th minute!!!) to take the game into extra time. God only knows where the referee managed to get 8 minutes of injury time from, but just summed up the officials tonight who I believe were VERY poor and had no control over the game.

The right team won.

Roll on Easter Monday!

The linesman clearly flagged for offside, the ref had given it before seeing the linesmans flagging for offside then he ran over! Agreed about the officials though, I felt a number of players St Austell players should have received cards as a number of the Bude players did but the rev seemed very inconsistent there. Have to agree on the added time though, I was waiting for the whistle long before that and overall St Austell did deserve the win. Was a good effort from the Bude lads though who seemed massive underdogs.

Why has Ben Douglas stopped playing 1st team? Played against him earlier in season. Not stirring just surprised to see his name

Ben has not played for the 1st team for months, he was having trouble getting into the 1st team so naturally wanted to play football so dropped to the 2nds where he is enjoying his football again, he was fantastic last night and heaps of ability but needs the right guidance

!!

Bude 2 St. Austell 2 AET (St. Austell win 2-0 on pens)

I watched my brother play for St. Austell in this match last night and thought it was an entertaining game which was ultimately settled on penalties and the team that held their nerve won through in the end. The Bude support throughout were very vocal!

The first half was controlled by St. Austell with Bude offering little attacking threat. St. Austell took the lead after about half an hour, when a corner was swung over and the unmarked Pete Davey, at the far post, fell over in the penalty area and the ball hit him on the head to send the ball into the bottom corner of the goal giving the keeper no chance (I am sure he will say it was an intentional diving header, but I dont agree!). I dont think there was too much else to mention in the first half other than St. Austell had more possession and looked comfortable, but it looked like they needed a second goal to give themselves some breathing space.

Bude came out for the second-half and after a delay to repair the net at one end; they looked to come at St. Austell more, which they tried to do more than they did in the first half. However they never really created any really clearcut chances throughout the half. St. Austell were still dangerous on the break, with Phil Hutchings their main attacking threat throughout, however towards the end of the half his influence seemed to drop.

Bude thought they had equalised when a free-kick went straight into the bottom corner, but the assistant flagged for an offside and the referee went with his decision, much to Budes annoyance. From where I was it looked like the offside Bude player ran across the eye line of the St. Austell keeper and distracted him allowing the ball to go straight in, so in my opinion it was the right decision I am sure Bude will disagree!

The equaliser came in what was about the 96th minute when a ball into the St. Austell box wasnt dealt with and the ball got slammed home into the roof of the net. 1-1 with extra-time looming. St. Austell looked crest fallen as they had been so close to what would have been a deserved win over the 90 minutes. I guess the injury time came about because of the rolling substitutions, but I am not sure why it was nearly 7 minutes?

Bude started extra-time well and scored early on when they got in behind St. Austells back four. To their credit St. Austell kept going and equalised when Luke Patten scored from inside the box. Neither team had any other clear chances that I can recall and the tie went to the dreaded penalties!

I dont think the referee had the best of games, but I wouldnt say he favoured either side; he got some things right and some wrong but dont we all do that when we play, manage or referee football? Both teams could and probably should have had more players booked, but once he had let one or two challenges go it was difficult for him to suddenly start cracking down on some of the tackles.

The St. Austell keeper, Anton Luke, saved 2 spot kicks and the other 2 that Bude took missed the target, whilst St. Austell scored through Phil Hutchings and Jeff Dillon (much to his delight!), whilst Ben Douglas missed his. I think it was 2-0 to St. Austell on penalties.

Overall I think St. Austell deserved their win, but Bude gave them a good run for their money and were much better in the second-half without ever really carrying too much of a goal threat. For St. Austell they were made to pay for not taking their chances whilst they were on top and they almost got punished for it.

I thought that all of the St. Austell team played well and you have to give a mention to Phil Dingle who at 45ish (?!) rarely put a foot wrong despite his advanced years. Their whole defence were solid throughout.

Well done to Chris Knight and everyone at St. Austell.

Fair report there as I have heard a very similar story from a Bude perspective! On the disallowed goal, one Bude fan has a video of it so if you could run me through it Bushy12 with your 'expert knowledge' of football then that would be great! Because we're all clearly your the only one going on about an indirect free kick. Good luck to St.Austell in the final,

No problem Mr Bude:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team when a player commits a foul other than a penalty foul (e.g. dangerous play) or infringes certain technical requirements of the laws

As you have the fortune of video evidence, you will see that the free kick was awarded for a high foot. This is deemed as 'dangerous play', which as stated above is an indirect free kick.

IF the bude player that was flagged offside DIDN'T get a touch, or DIDN'T interfere with play (by that i mean obstructing the keepers view for example), then the goal shouldn't have stood. If he interfered with play, but still didn't touch the ball from an onside position, the goal should still not have stood, as the ball would've gone straight in from an indirect free kick.

The only way the goal should have stood is if the player that was flagged offside DID get a touch, and came from an onside position.

I don't believe either is the case!

Besides, you got your goal in the 7/8th minute of added time when the game shouldve been over and done with, and everyone should've been in the bar having a pint!

Hope this clears it up for you.

Very true in what you say in reference to the free kick. However I hear the players were never told it was an indirect free kick which can only tell me that the ref never give an indirect free kick, in this case he must have given a direct free kick? Many grey areas I suppose. All in all, it doesn't matter now, its over. So good luck in the final

We were Fantastic first half, absolutely terrible second half, about even in Extra Time. Commiserations to Bude and their brilliant supporters who I thought made the evening very entertaining and many thanks to everyone who was supporting St Austell , we really appreciated it.

Cannot speak highly enough of the players who despite playing poorly for 45 minutes never ever know when they are beaten, they were brilliant.

I'm not going to moan about the officials, all I will say is that I agree with what is written above. How on earth a referee can ask the linesman how long has been played , he then looks at a mobile phone and says, about 95 minutes, is beyond belief.

Nonetheless Bude showed why they were in the final as their spirit was fantastic, I must say I was surprised the free kick was disallowed, but to be honest, we should have been 4 nil up by then.

Good luck to Illogan and my mate Gareth Pitt tonight, I have nothing against the Lizard, but we’ve been talking about this dream final on the golf course for months! Come on Pitter!!

Finally , I don’t know if anyone can help me, maybe Jamo and Cornishlegend, we had 2 players missing last night and they are still MIA, Danny Carne and Will Tinsley, all very strange.

If anyone finds them please return them to St Austell Football club, Poltair park. Many thanks. :thumbsup:

You do not have to tell the players verbally it`s an indirect free kick,they should/will see your arm raised vertically that is the approved signal for an indirect free kick. But will player see/ recognize that signal on saturday I awarded an indirect free kick just inside the penalty area, I stood where I wanted the kick taken from with my right arm pointing skywards, a central defender approached me an enquired what is it ?, after about 20secs he understood what my arm signal meant, we both laughed.