Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Reserves V Helston - Tonight 7:30 Kick off

The Reserve team play Helston Atheltic this evening with a kick off at 7:30 at Treyew Road.

Joe Broad started for us against Mousehole on Saturday and I have been informed that a couple of 1st team players might be included in this evening's squad.

Our squad is looking better and better and it would be great to see some of the local support for us tonight.

We hope to put on a decent game of football and I hope that as the season progresses we will receive your support.

Sean Johnston

Reserve team skipper

yes Chris the boys won 2-0, both penalties in the second half. Pretty even first half but Helston played at a higher tempo in the second half and deservedly won all 3 points. The referee failed to apply the laws for the first goal - Liam Eddy rounded the keeper who got his hand to the ball causing Liam to stop from pushing the ball over the line inside the 6 yard area. Having gained control of the ball the defender clattered into Liam while the keeper was still on the floor thus preventing Liam from scoring! Refs decision? Yellow card!!!!

yes Chris the boys won 2-0, both penalties in the second half. Pretty even first half but Helston played at a higher tempo in the second half and deservedly won all 3 points. The referee failed to apply the laws for the first goal - Liam Eddy rounded the keeper who got his hand to the ball causing Liam to stop from pushing the ball over the line inside the 6 yard area. Having gained control of the ball the defender clattered into Liam while the keeper was still on the floor thus preventing Liam from scoring! Refs decision? Yellow card!!!!

Le boss u turned them over on their own pitch and now have 3 lovely points even when they had some first teamers in the side

Bask in the glory of victory for a bit and quit moaning!

You are definitely a glass half empty person aren't you?

le boss, I cannot say anything because I didn`t see it, but the referee must have had his reasons for not sending the player off under DOGSO and unfortunately I am not in a position to second quess those. perhaps to quote yourself " Having gained control of the ball the defender clattered into Liam" may have a bearing on the decision or I could be reading your post incorrectly.

There may have been more bodies in the box so the offender was not the last man. :SM_carton_y:

I'm too far away to see. :c:

What's the betting the ref came to the right conclusion.

Most of the referees I have met prefer to keep it 11 a side, unfortunately the players let them down.

Several years ago at a Wycombe Wanderers Reserves v Brentford Reserves match two players got themselves involved in a dispute, so he didn't have to send them off, the referee took both of them BY THE HAND (like naughty schoolboys) walked to the dugouts and said "Can I change these for another two", gentlemen's agreements within the league allowed it, Clubs didn't want their players getting disciplined playing for the reserves whilst returning from injury etc. I admit there was a lack of bite when it came to 50/50 balls.

Sorry Mountaineer a gentlemens agreement within the League could not allow that,the referee is guilty of as " le boss " quoted, of failing to apply the Laws of the Game, also as a referee you should not treat players like naughty schoolboys, Please look in your messages, i have PM` you and looking forward to a reply.

Sorry Mountaineer a gentlemens agreement within the League could not allow that,the referee is guilty of as " le boss " quoted, of failing to apply the Laws of the Game, also as a referee you should not treat players like naughty schoolboys, Please look in your messages, i have PM` you and looking forward to a reply.

I lie not (no offence intended)

It was the Capital League about 15/20 years ago, games played midweek, we all called it "The Friendly League",

The friendliness approached was accepted by everyone, League Management, Clubs, Referees and Players.

The only times players were disciplined was if they really offended, fighting, hospital tackles etc.

When I said naughty schoolboys I was thinking that would be how I felt if the referee walked me off the field holding my hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Le Boss I don't see how you can come on here talking about the officials applying the laws of the game when you (if you are the manager) or your manager applys the correct laws himself regards to the way managers speak to officials whether managers of CLUB LINESMAN.

I have been an assistant to the referee in question for 2-3 games this season and we have officiated the game in the best possible ways.

Firstly, the referee and I agreed that anything in the third that is not the linesmans third the referee will decide and we flag for that decision as per the professionalism. Secondly 5 minutes into the game I had to call the referee over for 3 different decisions in which the Helston Manager was effing and blinding at me for the decisions. You think that's fair? You think the referee should remain in the dugout at all, which he did!!!

Secondly both penalty decisions were in my half of the field and I assisted the referee in those decisions as I play the game fairly and its unfortunate the boys had to lose to 2 penalty decisions that could have been avoided, but none were worthy on a red card.

I cannot totally remember how they came about again as it was so long ago so wil try to remember. If I am wrong in anyway, apologies, just ask the referee when you next see him.

The one where Liam was brought down was facing away from the goal towards the edge of the box (18 yard line) in line with penalty spot as he was turning back from the byline and there was a defender goalside protecting a second shot coming in with another defender coming in from the side which nudged Liam off balance forcing him over, yes penalty, but yellow was fair with his back to goal. The second one the player was going towards my corner of the pitch if I remember correct thus ensuring to score he would have to assist to a player in the box or be cheeky with an attempted lob as he came into the penalty area but not in direct view of the goal.

Some referees ask officials dont give penalties because referees know that club linesmen are there to assist both teams by representing clubs and giving these decisions in critical games cannot make the managers unhappy and angry, but that is our duty, and I was asked to either move closer to the corner flag followed by a raise which again is what I was asked to do so that the professionalism of the game and the use of the flag came into force. You cannot blame assistants for the penalties, offsides, throw ins in the higher 3rd of the pitch, foul throws from arms (refs watch arms, assistants watch feet, unless there are assistants that want a say in the whole peripheral vision) and not raising an offside flag when you think suits best unless you take the flag for a game and hear what a referee wants you to make decisions on and how and when to raise the flag, until then, and get effed and blinded at. never criticse the people who officiate help them by getting on with it as there are always incidents in games. The players that commit them are unfortunate, but show a little respect that you were awarded the penalities and that a "club linesman" has the bottle to award the decisions as well which some others may or may not but again that is down to how the referee would like us to perform.

Good luck to the rest of your season but keep the language down, especially with kids who want to take up the game!!