Cornwall Football Forum

Steve Thompson leaves Truro City

Guest Slarkins

Guest Slarkins

Truro City have parted with their second manager in four months following the news that Steve Thompson has left the club by mutual consent.

Thompson took over from former manager Sean McCarthy in December with the club lying in mid-table.

However, he has struggled to get the team up into the play-off places of the Zameretto Southern Premier League during his time in charge.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/sport/falmouthcountysport/5352834.Steve_Thompson_leaves_City/

Mr Heaney was squirming on Saturday when chants from in front of the clubhouse were directed at Steve Thompson. The decision is therefore not too much of a surprise !! Guess the next manager may think twice

about what looks like a poisoned chalice if results / style of play dont meet approval of both owner

and fans !

Do you not think that some of Truro City's Problems could be Mr Heaney, I have heard that he likes to control everything including the Manager,& that he can be quite nasty, as we know there is a saying a Manager must be aloud to Manage,

Maybe he needs a Manager who he can look down on instead of having to stand on a step ladder to speak to him,

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Managers will always run the gauntlet of fans and take it in their stride. It is chairmen that are their real bugbear. The struggling clubs that neither win leagues or trophies, or get relegated, will often have sections of the crowd criticise the manager but as long as the chairman lets the manager do his job, the club reaches a certain degree of stability. Alan Curbishley at Charlton? Crewe had the same manager for years. And so on. Truro, sadly, have a chairman without whose money they could not possibly have achieved the Southern League, but without whose interference they might just possibly have been in the play-off places. It started to go wrong with the dismissal of Dave Leonard. Still, I'm down for Easter so will give them another look against Didcot and will also take in the County Finals. Bodmin will walk it; would love to see little St Buryan win!

Mr Heaney was squirming on Saturday when chants from in front of the clubhouse were directed at Steve Thompson. The decision is therefore not too much of a surprise !! Guess the next manager may think twice

about what looks like a poisoned chalice if results / style of play dont meet approval of both owner

and fans !

Why were the fans having a go at the Manager? Why not sing 'sack the board'. :lol::lol: :ninja:

and fans !

Why were the fans having a go at the Manager? Why not sing 'sack the board'. :lol::lol::ninja:

Unfortunately without Heaneys dosh Truro would not be in the league they are in , Before heaney you were going under and lets face it he saved you. It doesnt really matter who your next manager is heaney will always have the last word in that department , Truro fans who boo heaney have to get real . Think where you are now to where you would have been without heaneys dosh , He has given you plenty to cheer about and attracted a lot of new people to your club people who were not there back in the south western league .. Next time you are giving him stick think about it!

and fans !

Why were the fans having a go at the Manager? Why not sing 'sack the board'. :lol::lol::ninja:

Unfortunately without Heaneys dosh Truro would not be in the league they are in , Before heaney you were going under and lets face it he saved you. It doesnt really matter who your next manager is heaney will always have the last word in that department , Truro fans who boo heaney have to get real . Think where you are now to where you would have been without heaneys dosh , He has given you plenty to cheer about and attracted a lot of new people to your club people who were not there back in the south western league .. Next time you are giving him stick think about it!

I don't go there to boo him,i just don't go there.!! :ninja:

Dave Leonard was the only manager in the last 5 years who has inspired the team. He had drive and desire and I was absolutely gutted when he left. Winning the FA Vase was a major achievement and I really believe it was mainly down to him. He kept the same team who wanted to play for Truro City FC. Yes, the wages helped but there was a team spirit that died when Leonard left has never returned. Bringing in Big Time, ex-pros does not build a team. Neither manager since Leonard has any idea how to change things when it isn't working.

Go on Heaney, bring back Leonard, who will play Marcus, Broady and Yetton who understand what Truro City FC is all about......

Dave Leonard was the only manager in the last 5 years who has inspired the team. He had drive and desire and I was absolutely gutted when he left. Winning the FA Vase was a major achievement and I really believe it was mainly down to him. He kept the same team who wanted to play for Truro City FC. Yes, the wages helped but there was a team spirit that died when Leonard left has never returned. Bringing in Big Time, ex-pros does not build a team. Neither manager since Leonard has any idea how to change things when it isn't working.

Go on Heaney, bring back Leonard, who will play Marcus, Broady and Yetton who understand what Truro City FC is all about......

Didn,t STEVE MASSEY build the vase winning side

Hi Good Morning,

The magnificent F.A Vase win at Wembley is actually a topic I will be talking about in next weeks "Mutterings".

Though I would like to say, Dave Leonard and Glyn Hooper's achievement at winning the Vase was a fantastic performance, putting Cornwall and Truro well and truly on the football map.

Dave and Glyn are first class coaches and I have much respect for how they not only like to play football, but how they handled their selves with the Chairman, displaying dignity and decorum on their departure from the club. They not only won the Vase but won it in fine style as well.

But I would like to think both Dave and Glyn would be the first to acknowledge the part a former manager! Played in putting that superb side together and laying the foundations down for that magnificent run! After I resigned with the team joint top of the league on New Year's Day the season before.

Arguably, Truro's biggest players on that run and in fact right up until this season, Jake Ash, Tom Smith, Kevin Wills, Stuart Yetton, Marcus Martin*, were my signings and then not forgetting in the squad Ross Pope, Johnny Ludlum and Andy Butcher Also back room staff of Physio Carl and kit man Morrish

Dave brought further talented players to the squad, including Andy Watkins, Joe Broad and Gossy. The team evolved during those first three years and swept everything away that was put in front of them.

To say it was my team or anyone else's team is a slight on the work, effort and sheer desire of EVERYONE involved in bringing those players that represented Truro City, together, on that Historic afternoon at Wembley. We can all take great credit and pride in playing our part.

But don't forget next weeks "Mutterings" and I'll tell you why the club were not even going to enter the Vase before I became manager, and who my dream management team would have been at Truro?!!

Have a lovely Easter and hope the Easter Bunny brings you lots of Eggs!!

Best Wishes

Mass

*Marcus actually arrived after my departure, but the deal to bring him to Truro was while I was still Manager! We had chased him since early October and Webby finally got him for us at Christmas.

For those of us not only interested in Truro City is there any chance of Steve muttering about some other cornish clubs, perhaps Penzance or his time at Falmouth. Seems we're going to get more of the same next week!

Perhaps it should be renamed 'Steve's City Mutterings'.

Masseys Mutterings isn't only about Truro City and last week he brought us "STUWALL" what a laugh that was.

The names in Steve Massey's posting drifts back to City's HEARTBEAT.

Dave Leonard

Chris Webb

Glynn Hooper

Steve Massey

All good men who did their best for Truro City, the club could do with more like them, it is most unfortunate that people who only want the best for the club find it necessary to go their seperate ways for varying reasons.

A team that has ambitions to go somewhere needs more than one person at the helm, delegate and let them do their job should be the name of the game for the next management team.

It's weird taking part on these forums, if we don't come on we get slated, if we do and post like Steves mutterings this week you get slated for mentioning Truro City.

Perhaps it should be renamed 'Steve's City Mutterings'.

No .... I much prefer "Massey's Mutterings".

However, this week's led with the managerial change at Truro as obviously by next week it will be old news!

There is, and has been, every intention to cover all levels of football - local and professional, current and memories from the past.

There is, and has been, every intention to cover all levels of football - local and professional, current and memories from the past.

Delighted to hear it. I quite like Steve's mutteriings, it's just that he must have mentioned Truro City in almost all of them.

Mountaineer - As you well know I did not slate Truro City, I was only commenting on the 'mutterings'. I have watched a lot of Truro's games and enjoyed them immensely. I hope that they can continue their climb up the pyramid. However, I am also interested in other local clubs and hence my previous posting.

The BIGGEST football story in the County last week was the parting of the ways by mutual consent of Steve Thompson and Truro City FC (A Private Company), therefore, I would have expected some mutterings from Steve.

Dave Deakin and others adequately cover what goes on around the county including Penzance, I visit the Peninsula forums for such news, I expected to hear about goings on in the Zamaretto league when coming onto this forum.

Now my point is that I come onto CSF a website that has many members commenting on the failure of Truro City supporters making an appearance, when we do what do we see, postings by people stating THEY DO NOT WANT TO READ ABOUT TRURO CITY, however, many are quick to make snide comments to those supporters who do.

I do not read postings from Truro supporters attacking you or your chosen clubs from around the county but it appears to be fair game to attack Truro City's SUPPORTERS, things may not be rosy between Truro City Football Club and the rest of Cornish fans, that is the football club NOT the supporters.

The INDEPENDENT TigerTalk forum is one of the most successful in Non League football, it's membership and their contributions prove that, City fans cannot be posting everywhere at the same time, there they do not suffer the possibility of abuse. People on there could tell you that there have been times I have had my say about what I do not like about the football club but that is a Private Company not the fans who I banter with but not abuse.

Goldeneye, none of this is directed at you, just in case you may think it is, there is a difference between Truro City and other clubs in the Duchy, Truro City belongs to ONE individual person, your clubs are what Truro City use to be COMMUNITY CLUBS, I wish all clubs were COMMUNITY CLUBS.

Apology accepted Mountaineer.

Goldeneye,

What have I to apologise for? I was generalising about how Truro City contributors are often welcomed, I respect the forums and do not go out to offend fellow members, I am however SORRY IF anything I posted led you to think otherwise, when you replied to me I thought I should attempt to reassure you that I was not referring to you but others who get their kicks from City bating.

I hope we continue to exchange views in the future.

Regards,

Ivor.