Cornwall Football Forum

dave philp

Guest Urban Spaceman

Urban,Philpy has the occasional game for Argyle Vets and also Liskeard Vets who i believe have got a cracking team together.Still fit as a fiddle last time i saw him.An absolute legend on and off the pitch! Spent many a happy hour in Philpys company over the years.A Great teammate and even better mate to have. :thumbsup:

Guest Postie Pidge

I remember when he had a player profile in a FTFC programme after his 250th game, he said one of his superstitions was "raving with Gossy on a Friday night" - back around 1992ish.

Guest Peppermint

Lovely to hear about Philpy - what a character and a great keeper who was as brave as a lion. Served many clubs with great distinction and will always be a legend at Mount Wise.

Dave is a legend! He was one of the best shot stoppers i had ever seen!

I also remember Dave on some of the Fa Cup/Vase Coach Trips away. He was always the joker and entertainer and combined well with Rappos Jimmy Savill impressions over the coaches tannoy!

Dave brings back other memories of trips away. I remember once We all stayed in a hotel before the game ( could have been Bemerton heath 94/95?). In the morning the neighbours were awoken by Andy Waddell, hanging out the hotel window, shouting GOOD MORNING BRITIAN!!!

Then at the same hotel there were rumours that Gossy and Andy Waddell had pinched the postmans bicycle!!! Dunno if Dave was involved in that?

Those were the Days!

I'm with Rappo on this one!

One of the finest players I've had the privilige to play with. Quite apart from the fact that he was nothing short of outstanding every week and totally professional in his training and desire for the game, but one of the best guys I've met in or out of football.

Those of us who ever went on trips away with him could write a best seller about our escapades...but we won't!

Best of luck to him, he's been great for the game.

There were a few eye brows raised when I listed my all time top 5 leaders on "MASSEY'S MUTTERINGS" a few months ago, and Dave Philp was amongst them.!

Everyone in the game knew what a Great Goalkeeper he was, but unless you played with him or in my case, the pleasure of managing him for Cornwall, you would have never appreciated the will and desire with which he played every game. He could be as daft as a brush and his enthusiasm would sometimes lead him into trouble, but when he pulled that Keeper's jersey on there was no one more committed and focused.

Dave actually was the reason my term as manager of the Cornwall County Team could have ended before it even began!

I was appointed on the evening and following morning phoned Lenny Lobb to check on all player's avaliabilty and their addresses. I would write a letter to each one explaining what would be required and asked for Dave's address.

Lenny said "your not allowed to pick Phillpy" Asking why not, he said David was banned from playing for the County by John Ryder! A discussion followed that ended with me stating "If I can not have the best Keeper available to me, then the County can find themselves another manager"!!, I had not been in the job 12 hours!

I got hold of Dave told him the story, asked what the hell had he done to warrant a ban and explained to him, If I can get you back into the County Team is that something you would want to happen?

His immediate response was "Absolutely, it would be superb to be back playing" Dave was like myself in thinking County Football was the highest honour a player can receive outside the Pro game.

Conversations with John Ryder over a couple of days finally ended with him agreeing for me to be able to select him once again, BUT, on strict instructions I was now responsible for him when playing for Cornwall.

I always had the upmost respect for him and I think we forged a little bond for each other, I had gone out on a limb for him to get him back in and i think he appreciated that, And he NEVER let me down all those years he went on to play for the County and was the perfect ambassador.

I will never forget Cornwall's Trip to Guernsey, overnight stay, great win and fantastic night out for everyone. Back at hotel in early hours of morning, Phillpy had found a full length fur coat from somewhere, with a piano in the lounge, he sat playing it (or trying to play it!) and singing naked except for this fur coat and boots!!

It might have surprised a few people when he appeared on my Top 5 Leader's list but for me he was A True Leader, He had that rare quality of being able to motivate and inspire people, Often misunderstood but never ever underestimated.

It remains a surprise why he has not had the success at management I thought he might have had.

Reading some of the postings above brought back memories to me of not only a great, talented and Fearless goalkeeper but a top guy as well.

Hope life is treating you well Dave and look forward to seeing you around a ground or two in the near future.

Best wishes

Mass

Guest Postie Pidge

When I first got into football, I could never understand why Paul Hicks (another good keeper) was Cornwall's keeper when Philpy was much better.

What exactly did Philpy do to get banned?

When I first got into football, I could never understand why Paul Hicks (another good keeper) was Cornwall's keeper when Philpy was much better.

What exactly did Philpy do to get banned?

pidge i lodged with philpy for two yrs,top bloke,stayed in on a Friday,cleaning his boots,but watch out saterday night,hes been lucky that he kept his figure ,just like you rappo,hee ,remember showing him a cutting of me scoring past him as a sprog,for newquay res,he tore it up,what a character :drink: :drink:

Slightly off at a tangent, but many thanks to Football person for introducing me to the Green On Screen site. Brilliant oen for Argyle followers.

While talking about Philipy, I always remember interviewing him up at Wadebridge, when he was playing for them I think, in the days of doing interviews on a mobile phone.

Anyway, the idea was for me to hold the phone in front of his mouth, whereupon he starts almost wrestling with me to hold it himself! This while on air! Good times!!!! :D :D

What a top reference site for Argyle-I even found the details of my first match at Home Park(1960). Last game of season beating Aston Villa 3-0 almost 30,000 attendance.

29,895 is this the record league gate at Home Park? Edited NO

Two seasons late I saw the great Spurs (push and run) team at Plymouth in the F A Cup and that drew an attendance of 40,040

Edited This is the 4th. best ever Home Park attendance-the record 1936 v Aston Villa 43596

From the site I have located 29 players so far who played first team for Argyle and then played for Falmouth-how sad can you be?

Unfortunately I spent too much time on the PC last night -not popular with the rest of my family who were queuing up for facebook.

Philpy - absolute star.

I remember a Falmouth Town Dinner & Dance at the Membley Hall when the madman decided to squirt me with a soda syphon just after we'd eaten!! I had to wear a borrowed t-shirt for the rest of the evening while everyone else was wearing shirt & tie!

A "GREAT" for town without question and always good fun afterwards.

I still have nightmares of what he did to Rappo (while he was sleeping!) on the way back from ( I think) Horsham - frightening!! lol

:c:

We were all abused by Philpy at some stage during our Town careers Boz! And loved it! He was mental was'nt he!!! I remember on one of our tours to Holland he farted in a 2 litre coke bottle put the top straight back on and went to the front of the bus and emptied it out under the drivers nose!!! The poor bastard was driving with one hand with his head hanging out the window from Amsterdam to Eindhoven looking green!!! Him and dave gardner(God bless you mate) were bonkers on that trip! My ribs were aching for weeks mate!!! :yahoo: Like Tom said we could easily write a book about that team but no one would believe it anyway!!! :clapper:

Guest Postie Pidge

Dave brings back other memories of trips away. I remember once We all stayed in a hotel before the game ( could have been Bemerton heath 94/95?). In the morning the neighbours were awoken by Andy Waddell, hanging out the hotel window, shouting GOOD MORNING BRITIAN!!!

Then at the same hotel there were rumours that Gossy and Andy Waddell had pinched the postmans bicycle!!! Dunno if Dave was involved in that?

Banstead Athletic - 1994/95