Cornwall Football Forum

Clyst Rovers ground

Sorry we were not very complimentary about Clyst's ground today. We upset the locals to the point where we were threatened with eviction from the ground (first time that's happened to me in 12 years of watching football week in, week out).

We're a fair bunch us Blazey boys, but we like to see clubs making an effort and the fact that the ground was in a significantly worse state than last season was disappointing to see. We had to find our way through waist high stinging nettles, large amounts of rubbish and trouser-ripping brambles just to make it behind the goal.

Clyst bemoan their lack of support (they are currently the worst supported club in the league), but they don't make their ground a place where people would want to watch football. I would also have questions about whether certain parts of their ground are even safe for children to play (the language coming from the Clyst dug-out wasn't safe for children to hear, but maybe that's for another thread!)

If Clyst want to threaten anyone who questions the state of their ground with eviction, they can, but why not put your energy into pulling up a few brambles, clearing rubbish, chopping nettles. This doesn't cost anything, only time. Take pride in your club and make it something people want to be part of. Maybe the crowds and glory days will return for you.

Dan Hazelton

Years ago Clyst St Mary used to be in the SWL. Is this the same ground as I remember it being next to the airport.

There is a ground in Clyst St Mary but miles from the airport.

I remember going there and there were about 5 Clyst supporters and roughly 10 from Pz.

Same thing happened up Elmore but then there were only 2 Elmore supporters!

You are thinking of Ottery St.Mary who were in the SWL 1974-76

The only Clyst club to play in the SWL was Clyst Rovers who played 1981-92 on the same ground as today.

I do understand the club is in the process of moving and that may be the reason for the neglect.

Having visited for the past two seasons(with Falmouth) I stood on the dugout side facing the sun and watching the aircraft landing and I have to agree the Clyst management is most intimidating to be near.

The only friendly and welcoming official was the old boy on the gate and later selling raffle tickets but there again it could have been due to their unco-operative attitude with the clash of colours delaying the kick off.

clyst rovers played in the toolstation western lge for mny years until joinig the SWPL when it was formed. when dawlish used to play them seeral years ago it was a far more welcoming place then. there chirman bob chamberlain became involved with topsham town exeter several years ago then clyst ground shared on their pitch and never played at the airport pitch, and i think thats whyit became so neglected and nothing much has been done since they returned there

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

If only wed sung....

Ya getting sacked in the morning....

sacked in the morning..

ya getting sacked in the morning!!! :lol:

Paul, that'll be Sturrock on Weds morning after Plymuff get stuffed by the Posh.

Guest plainmoor

I thought that Clyst had a new location planned to be build by the airport authorities, including floodlights, training pitch and astoturf because the airport wants the bit of land they are currently on.

That would be good to see because the ground needs that much done now, that it will never get done. Its beyond repair unless you have lots of money. Floodlights look quite new so they could be re used. Although the place is a dive, theres somin about it which i like. Strange!! :blink:

Sorry we were not very complimentary about Clyst's ground today. We upset the locals to the point where we were threatened with eviction from the ground (first time that's happened to me in 12 years of watching football week in, week out).

We're a fair bunch us Blazey boys, but we like to see clubs making an effort and the fact that the ground was in a significantly worse state than last season was disappointing to see. We had to find our way through waist high stinging nettles, large amounts of rubbish and trouser-ripping brambles just to make it behind the goal.

Clyst bemoan their lack of support (they are currently the worst supported club in the league), but they don't make their ground a place where people would want to watch football. I would also have questions about whether certain parts of their ground are even safe for children to play (the language coming from the Clyst dug-out wasn't safe for children to hear, but maybe that's for another thread!)

If Clyst want to threaten anyone who questions the state of their ground with eviction, they can, but why not put your energy into pulling up a few brambles, clearing rubbish, chopping nettles. This doesn't cost anything, only time. Take pride in your club and make it something people want to be part of. Maybe the crowds and glory days will return for you.

Dan Hazelton

I've had the pleasure this season with my 3 year old son who is tall for his height, and the poor lad fell over a thistle taller than him.

It is fair to say that the place is a disgrace. Maybe they will move to another ground soon, but how about some pride in your current home Clyst Rovers!!

Usable ground at Clyst St Mary with a few more houses to pick up more support.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1C1GGLS_...l=en&tab=wl

Not 100% sure but I think their pitch is too small and they would have trouble making it bigger.

Dan Hazelton

I've had the pleasure this season with my 3 year old son who is tall for his height, and the poor lad fell over a thistle taller than him.

It is fair to say that the place is a disgrace. Maybe they will move to another ground soon, but how about some pride in your current home Clyst Rovers!!

Not 100% sure but I think their pitch is too small and they would have trouble making it bigger.

Tall for his height?? Just trying to work that one out! :clapper:

(Thanks for the early morning giggle!)

Dan Hazelton

Tall for his height?? Just trying to work that one out! :clapper:

(Thanks for the early morning giggle!)

You're welcome.