Cornwall Football Forum

Does anybody care about the Mining League?

Guest mikey catterall

i follow all junior leauges and the f/h section gets alot of discusion but im mainly focused on the mining leauges this season as i play for robartes fc hopefully people who play or follow mining football will start creating more topics for opinions and banter this should be a interesting season for all mining leauge teams goodluck to all :thumbsup:

Firstly, no way do I confess to being an expert on either the Mining or Falmouth-Helston, in fact I've only ever watched a handful of games in either league. Therefore, from outside looking in, over time, I have always got the impression that the Falmouth-Helston is better, hence there were a number of sides a few years ago who made the switch across from the Mining, I assume in a bid to get to play a better standard of Junior football.

It's a probably a waste of time now as the two leagues are to merge in the next couple of seasons, but what a shame the two leagues have never had a inter-league game of some sort. Take last season's champions Troon v Mawnan - would have been interesting to have seen the outcome.

So am I right? Is there more football played in the F-H? Is the standard better in the F-H? It'll be interesting to hear what the players and people involved in the respective leagues think. <_<

Guest mikey catterall

Firstly, no way do I confess to being an expert on either the Mining or Falmouth-Helston, in fact I've only ever watched a handful of games in either league. Therefore, from outside looking in, over time, I have always got the impression that the Falmouth-Helston is better, hence there were a number of sides a few years ago who made the switch across from the Mining, I assume in a bid to get to play a better standard of Junior football.

It's a probably a waste of time now as the two leagues are to merge in the next couple of seasons, but what a shame the two leagues have never had a inter-league game of some sort. Take last season's champions Troon v Mawnan - would have been interesting to have seen the outcome.

So am I right? Is there more football played in the F-H? Is the standard better in the F-H? It'll be interesting to hear what the players and people involved in the respective leagues think. <_<

thats a good question dave ive played in f/h and mining leauges and people will have different views on ur question but i reckon alot of mining 1 teams would do well if they were in f/h 1 and there are loads of players in junior football who should be playing senior football personaly i think all junior leauges have strong average and weak teams

having heard the predictions and seen the results in mining one i feel that it will be a very open league this year. some of the sides touted as so called favourites have not had the best of starts which will make for a better finish next april /may. mining two again should be an interesting year with a few teams still unbeaten and others just off the pace, division three is always difficult to predict because yet again 5 teams went up and with new teams coming in this will be the most unpredictable. from a personnal point of view it is nice to see praze off to a good start.lets hope with the new league coming up in two years time the mining league gets stronger and proves a point about the old argument of which league is stronger.

i also feel that more players are leaving the combo league to play junior football to get more enjoyment on a saturday because of the poor standard.things are so bad 3 teams are below ludgvan :P no offence luffy well done on the first win in 18 months :clapper:

Top to bottom I would say fal&Hel is a stronger league but the top 4 or 5 in mining wwould more than hold there own in Fal&Hel.

As for not very many topics or banter on the Mining side of things maybe its just that all the sides this year realise its going to be a very competetive season and no one wants to be targeted for abuse from others for gobbing off.

Even Marksy is not slinging that hook out going fishing lately.

dave,

there always was games between the 2 leagues, and some nice trophys that were played for, i have played in a few, i don't know why they finished but they were always good fun, quite a few watching and no dout a good money spinner for the leagues.

perhaps someone else may know why they finished playing them, or a better idea,, before the leagues merge the old trophys could be found and played for 1 last time

:c::c: :c:

Top to bottom I would say fal&Hel is a stronger league but the top 4 or 5 in mining wwould more than hold there own in Fal&Hel.

As for not very many topics or banter on the Mining side of things maybe its just that all the sides this year realise its going to be a very competetive season and no one wants to be targeted for abuse from others for gobbing off.

Even Marksy is not slinging that hook out going fishing lately.

Well i am shocked & dumfounded that u should pick on me young man, i havent said much lately as ive been in the north sea, catching cod. :yahoo::yahoo: Still luv u Gee :thumbsup:

Deacs is your memory failing you :D:D

Don`t say you have forgotten when the mighty Camborne / Redruth / Truro referees branch defeated the Mining League Select team 3-2 back in the late 70`s at Illogan (I scored the winner ) .........which contained a certain D.DEACON !!!

Standard obviously wasn`t too good back then either if we beat you :P:P:P :P

As a veteran of the Amor Shield, West Penwith League, Mining League (Div1 and Div3), Fal/Hel Div1 and Combination League, I haven't got a clue!

In all honesty though, I've never been a Combination standard player in my opinion, but played in it, so it just goes to show the standards change over time (and dropped when I was in it).

A few years back, Fal/Hel was a lot stronger in my opinion, but things have levelled out now. From top to bottom, probably the Fal/Hel league has the edge, but there are a lot of good mining teams out there (I know as that's where I play now) so the difference is small.

I think the F/H leagues are better, would be interested if anyone knew the last Mining Side to win the Junior Cup (area final or outright)?

Portreath two seasons ago .

i have said before not much difference in footballing standards but in facilities the fal hel is much better and when they merge they will have to do something about some of the teams pitches and changing rooms .

last league select game 2000 at illogan mining league won 2-0

last mining league select v mining champions 2007 portreath 7 mining league select 1 played at storm

When the proposed merger takes place everything will level out over a couple of seasons.

Does anyone know of the confirmed date of the merger?

I was told not next season but the season there after. Is this true?

Next season 2010 to 2011 is the last of the old leagues and its the FHFL 50th anniversary next year Rich which is one of the main reasons why the merger will occur the following season to get that milestone out the way. I think next season will be an exciting one for junior football as their will be lots to play for....any team outside of the top 7/8 of Div 1 of FHFL & Mining will find themselves relegated to Div 2 of the new league!!!!!

I think this is a good topic and one that will have many questions and answers :thumbsup:

My take on it for what it is worth (Proberly not a lot) is that I believe you have to play in both the Mining league and Falmouth Helston league to understand the difference and in all fairness there is not a lot in my opinion

I played for Chacewater in both leagues and can honestly say the standard was not much different from either league although some may disagree, Both leagues have there advantages and the Falmouth Helston league teams do seem to have better facilities than some Mining teams as Sammo66 has pointed out but in terms of football I believe they are fairly even

It is a bit like saying that Combination football in the West is better than the East Cornwall Premier league and once again if you have played both which I have then you would realise that there is not to much of a difference in terms of standard

As far as the Junior cup thing goes well I don’t think you can compare the two leagues on that score, Just last season when I was playing for Redruth Utd we knocked out Falmouth Albion and St keverne from the Falmouth Helston league and also Robarts from the Mining league then narrowly lost out to the eventual finalists Falmouth Athletic only losing 1-2 at home but if you want to compare then just look at that not much in it is there

As far as the select side game between the two leagues goes I have played in a few of those as well and the last time I played was in 1999/2000 season which the Mining league won I have the winners trophy to prove it as well (I’m showing my age now) and that was sponsored by Packet/E Thomas Construction