Cornwall Football Forum

MOUSEHOLE NEW ACADEMY SUCCESS

Dave Deacon

JOROME SLEW MOVES FROM MOUSEHOLE TO NATIONAL CONFERENCE SIDE CHESTER

In a major piece of positive news for Mousehole AFC, striker Jorome Slew has moved six steps up the non-league pyramid to sign for full-time professional club Chester.

The 19-year old joined Mousehole’s newly-established Academy in July after being released by Championship club Sheffield United.  He had played and scored regularly for The Blades’ Reserves before his promising progress was dealt a set-back by a broken leg.  

Mousehole’s Academy Director Jason Blunt, who was appointed in June, brought Jorome in soon afterwards as part of the club’s strategy of offering full-time training and regular first-team football for young players released by their professional clubs.

Jorome made an instant impact with The Seagulls in pre-season and scored superb hat-tricks in each of the first two away League games of the new season as well as two more crucial goals in the League Cup win at previously unbeaten Ludgvan.  He quickly became a club favourite not only for his dynamic play, but also his willing contribution to youth training.

Following recommendations from Jason Blunt, Jorome came to the attention of several clubs back in his native Yorkshire.  He had extended trials with Championship club Barnsley before signing for semi-professional Northern Premier League side Goole AFC, for whom he scored within minutes of his debut two weeks ago.

This week, Chester moved to bring Slew to the Deva Stadium with the club currently lying in the lower reaches of the National Conference – effectively the ‘fifth Division’.  If selected, Jorome will make his debut in front of the BT Sport cameras in the live coverage of the Chester versus Dagenham & Redbridge fixture this Saturday (25that 12:30pm.

Jason Blunt was upbeat about the news:  “I always knew Jorome had the potential, but having a broken leg and being released by Sheffield United severely dented his confidence.  I’m absolutely delighted that we at Mousehole have played a big part in getting him back on track.  His ambition is to be a full-time professional footballer, so going to a club like Chester could be the start of a journey back to the level he wants to – and should – be at.  We’re now developing a relationship with Chester FC to create some initiatives that will be beneficial to Mousehole.  In the meantime, we intend to carry on our policy of attracting more of the young Joromes down to Mousehole, as they can make a big contribution to the club, as well as playing men’s football, putting themselves back in the shop window, and looking after their own development away from football.  A good example of this is Max Hill, who was released by Leeds United Academy and has come down to Mousehole, established himself as first-choice centre back, won himself an apprenticeship with a local company, and is studying for professional qualifications at the same time.”

Mousehole Chairman Tim Richardson added:  “We wish Jorome all the best and will be keeping an eye on his progress from afar.  His scorching start to the season will be long-remembered, but apart from anything else he showed the technical qualities that other players can aspire to, and helped the club in the first stage of its own ambition to raise the standard of football in this part of the world.”

So - That's wonderful for Jerome - But how does bringing a lad down from Sheffield and then helping him to get his career back on track in Chester  benefit Mousehole and / or Cornish football ( apart from the fact that he helped secure a few league points )

At the time this plan was announced I was under the impression that Mousehole would be harvesting the best of the local youngsters in order to improve the status of both club and county

Or am I missing something here

Because its showing that the opportunities are there for any youngster coming to Mousehole. We have our own youngsters, Josh Otto & Yeshie Brier to name 2, who will also be given that opportunity if they want to try & progress in the pro game. Jerome came down & proved that, given a chance, he could start his career again in the game. That chance will be provided to anyone coming to Mousehole.

Looking at the mousehole side at the moment there are not many young players getting the chance, the side is made up of older local players, most weeks the side is made up of players 25+ and any youngsters that play are players that are there one week and gone the next. 

I for one can't understand what mousehole are getting out of this apart from grants etc....

8 hours ago, bigbadbarry said:

Looking at the mousehole side at the moment there are not many young players getting the chance, the side is made up of older local players, most weeks the side is made up of players 25+ and any youngsters that play are players that are there one week and gone the next. 

I for one can't understand what mousehole are getting out of this apart from grants etc....

Anything that promotes youth football has got to be a good thing and I have long supported Mouseholes initiatives, from afar and what has been posted on here / social media etc. However, unfortunately I would have to say that Moiseholes PR has somewhat overtaken what actually appears to be happening.

Jason Blunt has contacts with clubs in the North through his previous Leeds United role, as such ex academy players looking to 'tick over' or get fit can be drafted into Mousehole and then move on. Claiming Jorome's move to Chester as a success for the Youth Academy, is a bit far fetched, he got fit and match time at Mousehole and must be congratulated on his achievement - however he was released by a Championship side in July and now signed by a Northern Prem side.

Max Hill has again been released from Leeds Academy, brought down to Mousehole (I believe his apprenticeship was arranged by / via Mousehole) and he is now playing regularly for Mousehole. A very good player and the very best of luck to the lad - but again it is far fetched to suggest that this is because of Mouseholes youth Academy. Mousehole benifit because they get quality players housed locally and presumably help getting some points - and I believe another couple of released 'northern' academy players have featured for Mousehole this season / pre season.

Mousehole get the use of quality players, short term and as you point out that is at the expense of local young players. Prior to Max Hill arriving I believe a young local lad had stepped up showing loyalty from the reserves (when Mousehole needed players due to a mass exodus with MrQuinn) and he now sits on the bench. Josh Otto is a great young player but again seems a 'super sub', and the lad Brier more of a bench warmer, despite featuring heavily pre season. There are several other young lads on the bench every week.

This was 'sold' as developing the best young 'local' players but does not seem to have attracted any new young players and whilst they would be getting good training, they are getting very limited game time. Who plays is obviously Mr Richards choice, however 60% of u23 players  as per their strategy does mean he has to sit young players on the bench if not starting them.

I really hope that Mousehole do stay true to their PR and start giving the young lads a chance to play - or just call it what it is - buying in players to get promoted (next season, allowing for the change this season).

I have no connection to Mousehole and have never seen them play unless involved against them.what you do have to remember is that the club have set this system up and it will take time for an individual to come through the system for him to be described as a home grown player but until such time they will cling on to these titbits of news as any other club in their situation would.

Rome was not built in a day

Postman Pat - personally I would disagree, if you ‘over egg’ it at the start it switches people off. I would love this to work and to be honest have no issues over Mousehole bringing in quality players from anywhere (paid or otherwise) but bear in mind Mousehole set up trials at the start and set exceptionally high expectations with press release after press release. 

Whatever, good luck to all the players involved.