Cornwall Football Forum

St Just AFC - Why oh Why?

To all concerned

Having witnessed one of the most brutal things in Cornish Football yesterday, i pose the following question to all Combo player/anyone who has ever played Combo football?

Why, whenever a side, and my experience being 5 or 6 times, goes to St.Just, we seem to come out with some sort of malicious injury. I, Personally, 2 years ago came away with 2 broken ribs.

Yesterday, playing for Newquay, witnessed what i would only call a VICIOUS attack. One of the St.Just players, name was unknown, Head-Butted one of our players AFTER they both challenged for the ball for a header. By AFTER, i mean the game flowed on and their player Head-Butted our player off the ball.

There is absolutely no need for such a vicious outburst, there was nothing wrong with the way both players went for the ball, only the St.Just player seem to get annoyed as we were winning at the time. This is the only thing i can think of that made him frustrated.

This has made me think, why do this, and i mean ONLY this, team seem to behave like this. Such vicious attacks should be punished, although the refereee did not see the incident. He knows what happened, and was very apologetic after the game, as it was very obvious to all. When the player turned around, with a big cut on his forehead with blood coming out and said "we just walked into each other". Our player was lying on the floor motionless after being head butted, albeit in the mouth, he was in distress. This is an embarrassment to St.Just football club and i would be interested to see what any of their reps have to say.

To conclude, an absolute disgrace to Cornish Football, and it has happened for as long as i have played Combo football. They have some decent players in their side, where as some of the other players, 2 or 3 only, let their side down by being complete and utter idiots by commiting such idiotic offences.

Will anyone from St.Just have anything to say about this? I would be very interested to hear it if they have.

Guest Peppermint

As Ronin stated - wait for the Isaac comments - hopefully he will make a comment because when I got back to the Clubhouse at Mount Wise the Newquay players were understandably upset with the incident in question.

Obviously I cannot comment because I was not at St Just - but well done the Peppermints another great result.

Since I have no official connection to the St Just club, any comments I make are anecdotal and personal. As a Tinners supporter who was at the match, I think Newquay deserved their 2-1 win and congratulate them. I have the greatest of respect for stalwarts of the Newquay clubn like Brian Biggin, Peppermint and The Judge and wish any players, injured in as a result of football, sympathy and hopes for a speedy recovery.

The referee, Andre Howes, deserves his superb reputation and had an excellent game. It is unfortunate that Treg seems to be criticising him, by implication, for a response to something he did not see. I would also be disappointed if his disproportionate attack on a club founded in 1904 which, with Newquay and Penzance, has the longest Combination League history, was supported by the Newquay club on an official level.

I think it was Bobby Charlton who described football as a "man's game." I am sorry that Treg finds himselof so injury-prone at Lafrowda Park. Would he prefer a non-contact sport ?

Since I have no official connection to the St Just club, any comments I make are anecdotal and personal. As a Tinners supporter who was at the match, I think Newquay deserved their 2-1 win and congratulate them. I have the greatest of respect for stalwarts of the Newquay clubn like Brian Biggin, Peppermint and The Judge and wish any players, injured in as a result of football, sympathy and hopes for a speedy recovery.

The referee, Andre Howes, deserves his superb reputation and had an excellent game. It is unfortunate that Treg seems to be criticising him, by implication, for a response to something he did not see. I would also be disappointed if his disproportionate attack on a club founded in 1904 which, with Newquay and Penzance, has the longest Combination League history, was supported by the Newquay club on an official level.

I think it was Bobby Charlton who described football as a "man's game." I am sorry that Treg finds himselof so injury-prone at Lafrowda Park. Would he prefer a non-contact sport ?

And any comment i make on this board are one of a personal level, and therefore have nothing to do with any official at Newquay.

Firstly Isaac (if this is actually your name, as i have no idea who you are), where in my first post do you find me criticising the referee? I did say that he was apologetic for not seeing the incident, i did not blame him for not seeing the incident. The referee had a fantastic game, which i thoroughly applaud him for.

Secondly, i posed the question what people thought of incidents like this. As you were at the game you must have seen the incident, which was right in front of both benches and the small crowd. What did you think of this incident then Isaac? How the player in question responded by saying they walked into each other?

Thirdly, Injury prone at your place? I am not at all, once in the 4/5 times i have been there, being punched in the ribs off the ball, which some would call a cowardly attack, which i ended up breaking 2 ribs? The player in question was sent-off, admitted what he did at the time, and apologised. I will not name the player as he still plays there, and i dont think it would be appropriate unless asked for.

Isaac, in conclusion, what are your thoughts on the incident in question yesterday? Great result for us down there too, never easy :D

Rodney,

There was one player injured as a result of football yesterday, that individual limped off in the first half with a thigh strain. There was one other incident that caused an injury but it did not have anything to do with football, it was as a direct result of physical attack.

The referee did not see the incident as he was following the game, however, he was heard speaking to the St Just captian at the end of the game, telling him that the individual needed a 'severe bollocking' because his actions were a disgrace to the club. Andre said that he felt sick at the thought of such an incident. Nobody has questioned Andre's ability as a referee - if he did not see the incident, he can only consult with the official nearest to the incident. You were that individual and you confirmed that you did not see the matter in question.

You are correct in saying that football is a man's game. I beleive that Treg is indicating that many injuries that occur when playing St Just are not as a direct implication of football, but in fact that they often result as a consequence of a malicious incident, as referred to in his post. Treg has a right to share his opinion based on his personal experience. You may not agree with all aspects, but what happened yesterday was totally unacceptable.

I am not aware that the Newquay player who sustained the facial injury has received any sort of apology, so you talk about football being a man's game, is the individual involved going to 'be the bigger man' and offer an apology?

Fortunately, Treg, the referee's decisions on the pitch control the game, not allegations based on conversations you, as a private individual, think you may have overheard between the referee, the St Just skipper and anybody else. Some of the Newquay side came in for a drink in the clubhouse and the atmosphere was convivial. I think it is a shame when individuals like you behave like redtop "journalists" to stir up drama after a game. I suggest you now drop this matter: no player would want bad feelings to rankle in future games. Do not foment them. I am sure that all the good people at the Newquay club will want the good relationship between he two clubs, which goes back a long way, to continue.

I remember the incident which broke your ribs a couple of years ago. The player in question in fact now plays for St Buryan, not St Just, and was also sent off yesterday in a Junior Cup match. What you omit to mention is that your persistent whining, moaning, needling and playacting beforehand exploited his lamentable lack of self-control. His behaviour could not be condoned, but neither could yours.

My take yesterday ? I was a reluctant lino, having been asked to do it for the first time this season at 2.20 pm because John Curnow had flu. Like the referee , I was following the play as the ball was spread out to the St Just right wing. Then there was much shouting and a player on the ground near the halfway line. Play was stopped and he was treated bu his physio. I did not see him fall down.

I suggest that there is little point prolonging this discussion and repeat my solictude for both the members of the Newquay club who are carrying injuries. While I cannot speak for the St Just club, I am sure that those in charge of it would concur with my best wishes. :D

Fortunately, Treg, the referee's decisions on the pitch control the game, not allegations based on conversations you, as a private individual, think you may have overheard between the referee, the St Just skipper and anybody else. Some of the Newquay side came in for a drink in the clubhouse and the atmosphere was convivial. I think it is a shame when individuals like you behave like redtop "journalists" to stir up drama after a game. I suggest you now drop this matter: no player would want bad feelings to rankle in future games. Do not foment them. I am sure that all the good people at the Newquay club will want the good relationship between he two clubs, which goes back a long way, to continue.

I remember the incident which broke your ribs a couple of years ago. The player in question in fact now plays for St Buryan, not St Just, and was also sent off yesterday in a Junior Cup match. What you omit to mention is that your persistent whining, moaning, needling and playacting beforehand exploited his lamentable lack of self-control. His behaviour could not be condoned, but neither could yours.

My take yesterday ? I was a reluctant lino, having been asked to do it for the first time this season at 2.20 pm because John Curnow had flu. Like the referee , I was following the play as the ball was spread out to the St Just right wing. Then there was much shouting and a player on the ground near the halfway line. Play was stopped and he was treated bu his physio. I did not see him fall down.

I suggest that there is little point prolonging this discussion and repeat my solictude for both the members of the Newquay club who are carrying injuries. While I cannot speak for the St Just club, I am sure that those in charge of it would concur with my best wishes. :D

:yahoo::clapper::rolleyes:

Isaac, i suppose your response was to be expected, but i thought that as a person who Seemed to have a a decent level of maturity, you might admit a few home truths. I suppose the truth hurts so to speak, so you think your rather expansive vocabulary is a way to gloss over the situation.

My whining, needling and playacting led to this is the biggest load of bull i think i have ever read in my life. So you can remember all of this, but yet when assault is commited in front of your eyes, you seem to, expectedly, not see the incident.

Just to point out, if you were assistant referee yesterday and the play was on the St.Just right wing, which it was, well across the field, you should have been standing on the half way line. I make this about 10 yards from where the incident happened, and you would and in all truth should have been looking directly at the incident.

No, Treg, because as a (reluctant and very occasional) club assistant lino, the usual instructions I receive are to give decisions on ball-in-or-out-of-play and offside-if-interfering only, unless I see something that I consider on the blind side of the referee. There were five offside decisions, all accepted by the referee and your players, (although in one case the signal was merely acknowledged because the ball rolled through to the keeper). I raised mt flag in connection with two fouls in support of a decision the ref was giving anyway....one an obstruction of Orrin Crowle by St Just's John Bird, the other a hand-ball by a Newquay player in midfield. On one occasion I thought there was a blind-side hand-ball by a player, but the referee decided to overrule me and play on, which is his prerogative. If this was my one mistake, I acknowledge it.

I didn't see the crucial part of the incident you think you saw, so it would be dishonest and inappropriate for me to make a judgement enirely based on conjecture. Whether I should have seen it is as material as trying to cancel United's third goal from this afternoon NOW because Vidic obstructed Di Santo. It's gone. I'm not an official spokesman for St Just anyway, as I've already told you. What else do you want me to say ?

:D

Isaac, i suppose i should just leave it at this, but i cannot help but wonder. Surely, some of the players must have chatted about the incident in question. Did you chat to absolutely no-one with reference to the incident? Luckily the lad who got nutted did not want to take any more action!!

With at least 3 or 4 witnesses he could quite probably go and see the police and take the matter further. I am not saying that it is the right thing to do, as i am a firm believer in, and to bring out a cliche that you have probably used, as it seems to be your only source, "what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch"!!

In making this topic, all i wanted was an honest answer from St.Just AFC, or someone from their "club" with reference to the antics that they continue to perist with on the pitch? You obviously cannot provide such a response, do you know anyone who can?

I certainly wish all my readers a Happy New Year.

Female ? Posters ? Steady on, Frodo, I'm happily married to Sheila. I'm always careful with the word "love": it could get those poor girls in Perranporth overexcited. They've got nothing else to do in the winter but getting new more tattoos on their heads. I've already got enough trouble with Rolo the cocker spaniel bitch trying to treat my leg like a ###### object, so I wouldn't want to do anything on here that led to an unmanageable oestrogen surge........... :D

Besides, I don''t think they're willing to let Mother move in ! :drink:

Treg: yes, I did chat to a couple of St Just players, who said that there was an accidental clash of heads. I'm sorry that you are now accusing me of dishonesty. I would have thought that in any court case the views of the referee and linesman would be regarded as more reliable. Unfortunately we do not have Sky TV covering the match. I am sorry that you now seem to be accusing me of dishonesty. I can only say that I am not guilty of this and that it would be far more dishonest if I pretended to have seen an incident I did not see and conjectured as to how the matter went. I do not like your threatening tone. Are you threatening St Just AFC or just me ?

If here are people at Newquay who want to pursue this, I am sure they are welcome to take the matter through the correct channels.

Your statements about "antics that persist" are an unfounded, historically-fraudulent attack on a whole club because you seem, as an individual, to carry some kind of individual grudge. Why don't you now wind your nexk in and leave it to the sensible people who actually run Newquay AFC ?

Are you threatening St Just AFC or just me ?

Isaac, i have not once stated that you are being dishonest. Please quote me as i suppose everyone can miss things. :yahoo:

Isaac, I am once again, expressing MY views, so you may as well forget about the "leave it to the people who run Newquay AFC". I am discussing an incident, of which i feel i am allowed to do.

And how is my quote of "antics that continue to persist" fraudulent??? This is MY historical problems when playing St.Just, and are in no way fraudulent. I do not carry a grudge against the club, just against the incident/s i have witnessed.

As quoted above, i am not threatening anyone, or the club. I am merley discussing the incident and stating facts and gathering opinions on the facts provided. Why do you see this as threatening? Or see my "tone" as threatening.

WOO HOO ISAAC GO GET EM FELLA I LONG FOR THE DAY WHEN YOU RUN THE LINE FOR THE TINNERS AT PERRANPORTH WITH ANITA IN THE MIDDLE NOW THAT WOULD BE A FUN GAME TO WATCH SOD THE FOOTBALL JUST CONCENTRATE ON THE OFICIALS :yahoo:

You refer to the crucial part - yourself and a few others may not have seen what happened, however, many people did see the events unfold and they are all stating consistent facts. Therefore your lack of knowledge about the event becomes immaterial and I feel that it is inappropriate to suggest that your evidence of not seeing anything would be deemed reliable.

Sadly we know what happened and there is little benefit in pretending that the incident didn't occur. You have mentioned relationships between clubs, I do not feel that your persistent disrespect for the viewpoints of others is helping matters. I am all for bringing the matter to a conclusion as I want us to focus on moving up the table and finishing our season months before everyone else.

Credit to St Just for a great game, I thought there were some excellent younger players in the team who showed some real potential. If I recall most players shook hands and the majority of lads went into the clubhouse for a drink.

I am sure that the game at Mount Wise will be equally close. One incident doesn't change things overnight, obviously it has to be taken in a wider context and unfortuantely there have been a few problems in the past that you may or may not be aware of. But that is where it will stay - in the past. From a Newquay point of view, all we are interested in is winning our next game and we will welcome St Just to Mount Wise in exactly the same manner as every other away team. I hope that the return fixture is as good a game as yesterday.

I would be grateful if some respect could be shown for the lad that sustained the injuries because I really do not feel that it is fair that his integrity is in question by suggesting that what happened was an accident or that it did not happen at all.

You refer to the crucial part - yourself and a few others may not have seen what happened, however, many people did see the events unfold and they are all stating consistent facts. Therefore your lack of knowledge about the event becomes immaterial and I feel that it is inappropriate to suggest that your evidence of not seeing anything would be deemed reliable.

Sadly we know what happened and there is little benefit in pretending that the incident didn't occur. You have mentioned relationships between clubs, I do not feel that your persistent disrespect for the viewpoints of others is helping matters. I am all for bringing the matter to a conclusion as I want us to focus on moving up the table and finishing our season months before everyone else.

Credit to St Just for a great game, I thought there were some excellent younger players in the team who showed some real potential. If I recall most players shook hands and the majority of lads went into the clubhouse for a drink.

I am sure that the game at Mount Wise will be equally close. One incident doesn't change things overnight, obviously it has to be taken in a wider context and unfortuantely there have been a few problems in the past that you may or may not be aware of. But that is where it will stay - in the past. From a Newquay point of view, all we are interested in is winning our next game and we will welcome St Just to Mount Wise in exactly the same manner as every other away team. I hope that the return fixture is as good a game as yesterday.

I would be grateful if some respect could be shown for the lad that sustained the injuries because I really do not feel that it is fair that his integrity is in question by suggesting that what happened was an accident or that it did not happen at all.

Mitch, spot on, i have had enough for the time being. :drink:

I would have thought that in any court case the views of the referee and linesman would be regarded as more reliable.

The ref was very good and was following play. In a court of law you would be lying by saying you didn't see anything.So how can you be more reliable standing 10 yards away and didn't see nothing,what would the court say about your views how can they be reliable

Sorry, Cornish Chough, your double negative in the last sentence has confused me. I did not see anybody headbutt anybody else: that is the truth, which I would state, if necessary, inside a court of law. I have respect for the "lad" and for the St Just player who said that there was an accidental clash of heads. Any choice between their accounts by me would be uninformed.

Now that we've established that nobody is threatening anybody and that we share hopes that future games between the clubs will be friendly and competitive, I welcome your input.

Frodo is on the button. Being a bearded St Juster, I'm off to chase a sheep now as well. Have you got any eager ones, Frodo ? :D

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Crikey ! Perhaps it was just as well our SWPL game was on, or I would have been at this one ! No knowing what I may have said had I witnessed a headbutt. However, I wasn't at the match and have no opinion as to who is correct The Newquay player claims to have been butted, the St Just player claims an accidental clash of heads when the ball seems to have been a minimum of 10 yards away... does lead one to suggest that the two players were not challenging for a header.

Credit to the Newquay lad for not making too much of it and yes the forum is a good place to get matters off your chest. Job done !

Judge, your assertion that the matter occurred after the challenge for a header is correct. Both players went to ground and as they got up, the St Just player headbutted the Newquay player. There isn't a lot more to it than that. There are a number of trustworthy and professional people who witnessed this scenario and I don't feel that it should be suggested that what happened was accidental. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

If anyone was watching and observed the incident in full and feels that an 'accidental clash of heads' was to blame, I'd love to hear an explanation of how two players can jump facing the same direction yet the teeth of one player can cause a cut in the forehead of another?

...all i wanted was an honest answer from St.Just AFC, or someone from their "club" with reference to the antics that they continue to perist with on the pitch? You obviously cannot provide such a response, do you know anyone who can?

No matter how good this Forum is, I would suggest that being realistic, any club faced in the same position as St Just finds itself on here, would not be prepared to discuss the situation out in the open! :blink:

Guest striker

...all i wanted was an honest answer from St.Just AFC, or someone from their "club" with reference to the antics that they continue to perist with on the pitch? You obviously cannot provide such a response, do you know anyone who can?

No matter how good this Forum is, I would suggest that being realistic, any club faced in the same position as St Just finds itself on here, would not be prepared to discuss the situation out in the open! :blink:

i will be realistic,rodneys a **** head,someone had to say what your all thinking :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: :clapper:

There is no place in football for violence on or off the ball,the sad thing is it happen all to often normally committed by a player who cant beat anybody with skill. The biggest surprise was Newquay getting 3 points with Rod on the line. :lol::D :ninja:

as a player who has played at st just this season i do feel for the newquay lad!

i spent 90 minutes on the pitch in a good competitive game, how i lasted for 90 i'm not sure as every time the refs back was turned after a fair challenge a stamp was given out by a st just player! a good player too don't really understand why he brings this into his game!!

like i said this persisted for the whole game then once in the club house for a couple of drinks i get told i played well and being kicked and stamped on across the park should be treated as a learning curve??? is this the kind of learning curve that is really required and surely a st just official saying this to me is admitting his players act innappropriately on the pitch!

Guest football mad

Personally I feel a fair analysis of st just is when you play them away they are just a bunch of thugs who try to impress their friends in the stand. Rodney can not comment on the incident because the only comment he should be saying is sorry but he is the BIGGER man and cant do that, also known as first class .

Personally I think teams should just go to st just with baseball bats and give them a lesson after the game

just my opinion

Personally I feel a fair analysis of st just is when you play them away they are just a bunch of thugs who try to impress their friends in the stand. Rodney can not comment on the incident because the only comment he should be saying is sorry but he is the BIGGER man and cant do that, also known as first class .

Personally I think teams should just go to st just with baseball bats and give them a lesson after the game

just my opinion

:clapper: So, I think that in creating this topic i have opened up a discussion about something everyone knew happened each week. Saturday was just a step to far in my book.

I am not one to complain and whine about every little kick or miss-timed tackle. I just wanted it to be out in the open exactly how I felt about this. It is an absolute joke, and something really needs to be done about it. If they keep getting away with things like this, someone is going to get Seriously hurt.

/Rant Over

firstly,this is my personal opinion an nothing to do with anyone else from st just a.f.c.!! i played in this game and i feel sorry for the lad that got hurt on saturday. i felt the game was a fair one and was a very open game with no malice in it at all! i must admit i did not see what happened to the young lad (who is a very talented player by the way), but it wasn't very nice to turn around and see a young lad lyeing there being sick and really struggling!! i just thought it was time for one of us from st just to come on here and check that the player who got hurt is now o.k. and to thank the newquay boy's for a cracking game which they did deserve to win. i hope that the newquay lad will receive an apology from our player and that be the end of it!!

on another note the scottish chap who played in the whole/upfront for you looks to be pretty amazing on and off the ball and newquay have a hell of alot of talented youngsters coming through the ranks! probably the best newquay side seen for the last 6/10 years!!

all the best to newquay team for the rest of the season and look forward to our next meeting at your joint.

also i thought the newquay lino in the second half is a better player than linesman!! :thumbsup:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Crazycoot, I'm sure your comments will go down well with the lads who played. The Scottish Lad (Paul Robertson) will find a soulmate (Paul Hampshire) in the first team very soon, although the rest of the lads may have trouble in understanding them if they start having a few bevvies together.

firstly,this is my personal opinion an nothing to do with anyone else from st just a.f.c.!! i played in this game and i feel sorry for the lad that got hurt on saturday. i felt the game was a fair one and was a very open game with no malice in it at all! i must admit i did not see what happened to the young lad (who is a very talented player by the way), but it wasn't very nice to turn around and see a young lad lyeing there being sick and really struggling!! i just thought it was time for one of us from st just to come on here and check that the player who got hurt is now o.k. and to thank the newquay boy's for a cracking game which they did deserve to win. i hope that the newquay lad will receive an apology from our player and that be the end of it!!

on another note the scottish chap who played in the whole/upfront for you looks to be pretty amazing on and off the ball and newquay have a hell of alot of talented youngsters coming through the ranks! probably the best newquay side seen for the last 6/10 years!!

all the best to newquay team for the rest of the season and look forward to our next meeting at your joint.

also i thought the newquay lino in the second half is a better player than linesman!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments, the lad in question is ok now thankfully. I have left this alone now as we seem to have had a decent response, hopefully we can meet at our place, have a decent game of football and have a few beers after :drink:

Guest gunners

Having played down at St Just myself yes i can agree with some of the comments on this topic but some other comments are aload of crap. Yes when teams do come to St Just yes you will get a physical game and a hard battle thats just life deal with it, get yourself mentally prepared for that. Its not on that the St Just name gets dragged through the mud for one incident that happen on saturday i have alot of respect for St Just as a club and the people who are involved in it. This will not change the way St Just play so instead of slagging off the club or people involved get on with your football and man up when u travel to St Just the team will respect you more if u give as good as u get then winge on.

Having played down at St Just myself yes i can agree with some of the comments on this topic but some other comments are aload of crap. Yes when teams do come to St Just yes you will get a physical game and a hard battle thats just life deal with it, get yourself mentally prepared for that. Its not on that the St Just name gets dragged through the mud for one incident that happen on saturday i have alot of respect for St Just as a club and the people who are involved in it. This will not change the way St Just play so instead of slagging off the club or people involved get on with your football and man up when u travel to St Just the team will respect you more if u give as good as u get then winge on.

See the parts in bold! I agree, you prepare yourself for a tough and physical game, that is not the point of this thred. The point is that the incident/s that have happened are bang out of order and should not be tolerated on a football pitch.

With your "man up" comments i feel that you have obviously not been on the end of a punch/headbutt whilst playing. Would you find this acceptable? No! Now shut up! :angry:

We have always accepted the tough games, physical battles and i personally enjoy these types of games, you get more satisfaction out of a tight 2-1 win thatn a 6-0 drubbing. It was not the reason i started the thread, if you read through it all, you will make sense of it.