Cornwall Football Forum

who will win div 1 west title

who will win div 1 west title

Having lost to godolphin, newquay and port in quick succession the pressure is now on for pz in their match at camelford. surely this is a match they must win at all costs. they have difficult games with cally, port and in form truro after the camelford match so it will be interesting to see if they have the character to bouce back after losing 3 matches. big spending trevor and his overpaid superstars could be slipping out of the title equation by the new year if they dont pull their finger out soon.

Following the news that the first team are allowed only to take three subs instead of Trevor's preferred seven;and the withdrawal of a percentage of the budget, the squad will trim itself by natural wastage. What price player loyalty these days, eh ?

Having said that, clubs who stick by their promises often get their just rewards. The dramatic belt-tightening at Penzance is a sad spectacle for all of us who don't want to see the SWPL, as a consequence of demographic determinism, end up as a Plymouth and District League.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sport Lover

Taking 7 subs is madness at this kind of level, 4 subs that dont get used could be playing for the 2nd team.

Truro on form? didnt they get beat last week 5-2?

Can Port stay in Div 1 if they gain a promotion place for the 3rd season in a row?

Guest Sport Lover

Sorry I thought Port came second and thats a promotion place?

How many other league clubs refuse promotion in England?

How many other sports can you refuse promotion and in which clubs usually do?

basically in december time clubs have to decide 1 of 3 options:

1) apply for promotion to the premier as long as you finish 2nd and champions do not wish to apply

2) apply to stay in the western league, if option a is not applicable

3) leave the western league at the end of the season and drop into the ecpl

so by this as we at callington wish to enter the premier league at some point, we have gone for option b

so we are currently playing for 2nd position as i have been informed that porthleven do not want to go the premier because they dont want to travel all the way to eastern cornwall like saltash, parkway, week in week out, so therefore if other teams apply by end of decemeber they more than likely will be accepted as they would have 3 years to apply floodlights and a minimum of 50 seats in their ground.

so 2nd place for penzance or st austell or callington would be ok to gain promotion at porthlevens expense.

you will notice i left out truro.

they played 4/5 more games than any other team in the top 6 can you honestly, with the games others have in hand, see truro finishing top 4 i dont

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

No mention of the one club who have beaten Cally in the cup and PZ away in the league, shame on you ! Newquay have games in hand and have hit form at the right time, whilst other clubs suffer ffrom cut backs and other problems, the Peppermints are poised to take advantage. The next 3 games - Camelford away, Pub Team Home and Porthleven away will see if Newquay have got what it takes to get out of this godforsaken division.

Our team at the moment would sit quite comfortably in the top 8 of the Prem, if only we could get there. The likes of Falmouth, Blazey and Liskeard are no longer better than PZ, Newquay, Port and St Austell but with just one up, one down, the real balance of power will take ages to show up. Time for the SWPL to make it easier for those in the West to get promoted, perhaps the Champions or 2nd placed team if the champs refuse promotion go up automatically and the two divisional runners up have a play off for a third promotion place. The SWPL will argue this will cause an imbalance in the leagues, but they have been Divs with different sizes for the last 2 seasons anyway.

Newquay can go up, it will depend on suspensions, injuries, holidays/weddings and the last two home matches of the season, PORT & PZ.

What is the criteria for promotion up to the SWPL Premier if clubs do not have floodlights ?

Four clubs from the top six in the SWPL West do not have lights and if Porthleven are still negative it would only need Penzance to finish in the top two to climb up.

Would these four clubs(Dobwalls,Callington St.Austell and Foxhole) have to have planning in place now to meet this 3 year deadline ?

Would these four clubs(Dobwalls,Callington St.Austell and Foxhole) have to have planning in place now to meet this 3 year deadline ?

I was under the impression a club without lights would be able to go up at the end of this season, but then if not complied with the three year deadline by the end of the period - be demoted.

Does that also mean that the four clubs in the Premier without lights (Ivybridge;Newton Abbot Spurs;Witheridge and Elburton Villa could be demoted at the end of 2009/10 after a three year term.?

Another interesting point I have heard is that if 90% of Premier clubs have floodights this could qualify for a 22 club league.

ie-20 with 2 without =90%

Guest Peppermint

Very interesting point Mike - do the clubs without floodlights have to be demoted after the third year in the Premier League! I can't see that happening but only time will tell - Torpoint Athletic are to be congratulated for their efforts in installing lights. So if one club can do why not the rest.

I was under the impression a club without lights would be able to go up at the end of this season, but then if not complied with the three year deadline by the end of the period - be demoted.

we at cally have already got plans in place to get the 50 seats sorted for premier and also floodlights to be installed within the 3 years.

dread, im not saying newquay may not make the 2nd place or 1st for that fact, but looking at the table and gap there is no way you can finish top 3. 3 teams out of the top 5 would need to lose 1 every 3 or 4 games and you to win or draw to stand a chance and i do not see that happening. i predicted you would finish 5th

my prediction was

porthleven

callington

st austell

penzance

newquay

dobwalls

truro

foxhole

hayle

penyn

godolphin