Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v AFC Totton Tuesday 9th Dec 7.45pm

Well we have been looking forward for this for a long time (Dispite the theft sure game will go ahead) lets get everyone behind the boys in a crucial five days playing the two top teams were have a good idea come next Saturday where our season will be going.

The stags have had a excellent start to the campaign and will cause the Tigers many problems but we too will be up for this and will look to obtain yet another memorable win over them, they have a great set up and officials and fans are very friendly so this could yet again be another classic game at Treyew Road.

City will be almost at full strength and after getting back to winning ways on Saturday the scene is set don't forget 7.45 kick off and overflow parking will be avaliable at County Hall.

0-0. Shocking match. My neck is bloody sore from all the long ball to 2 strikers of no more than 6 foot.

Reading on here lately a lot of bitching about Truro and thought it was a bit much to be talking about replacing the manager etc. But it seemed to me tonight that the game plan is give it to the full backs launch it long and hope for the best. This didnt work at all and the frustration on the guys faces was clear. The midfield were not involved as there was no time to get up and support the front too. The manager spent the entire game shouting swearing and whinging at the ref and not a single word to actually aid the team. His assistant, well thats a small vocabulary he has of "shape", "get rid of it" and competing with hi manager at who can swear loudest at the ref. Personally thought the ref did ok he booked their players early on for fouls and Truros for the same kind of things, though Smith could of walked( tough the player made a banquet never mind a meal out of the elbow in the face) and Jakes booking was a shocker.

Been a while since I saw Truro last and the football back then was 100% better

Went to watch truro last night, thought for moment there i was watching a Plymouth Argyle game from 10 years ago where all they used to do is pump the ball long for Micky'pub player' Evans which to be honest was totally in in-effective. Saw more long ball in that game than i have in Falmouth Helston league 3 all season! Totton always looked the most likely to score as they were alot sharper up front but City probably had 60-70% of posession second half which restricted there chances. Andy Watkins by far there best player, only player trying to work somthing different. Now i know here on cornish soccer we like to praise refs but though the ref made a few strange decisions and at times lost controll.

Shaun McCarthy ought to be ashamed of himself last night, here we are trying to impose some-kind of 'Respect' campaign ? and he spent the whole game swearing at the ref and linesman( he must have really high blood pressure!).

In conclusion, the long ball dosnt suit truro. AFC Totton were good value for a draw and probably had the best chance of the game to win. Truro really were living off scraps up front but equally coud have snatched a winner in and amongest several goal mouth scrambles.

Well done to both teams who im sure will be top 4 come may.

gillo -

I don't know where you were tonight - but it can't have been Treyew Road as it was not the same match that I saw...!!!

And,

Isaac - OH YES - Super Blues - on the way to the Champions League - this time, please, please please.

I was at Treyew Road, in the stands 4 rows back approx 15 yards from the home dugout. What did you see? Were you one of the blinkered fans that thought every Totten player should have walked for a foul and every Truro foul was a national disgrace? I say it as I see it and am certainly not anti-Truro before you jump on that wagon. I saw unhappy players, good players not being used as they should be, the midfield, a whole lot of long ball. I agree with Trispinho that the visitors had the better chances but Truro had more of the ball without seriously troubling the keeper. If it wasnt for Smith and Jake I think the visitors would have won, some superb defending! Thought Tolley looked sharp when he came on and agree that Watkins played well. Keeps could do with learning to kick, i felt at risk at times.

I can see where gillo10 is coming from! It seemed to be where both defences were adamant they weren't going to slip up and therefore cleared their lines very quickly and so quite often this resorted to the long ball forward, and hence the midfield being bypassed. Therefore quite often the front two were on their own.

Sean McCarthy was certainly far more vocal this week. Although at times perhaps a little too much. I would also imagine some of it was frustration with the officials. Possibly why he walked straight into the dressing-room after the match, not getting involved in the post-match huddle or anything and leaving coach Dave Newton to be interviewed for Radio Cornwall. Probably a good thing in case Sean said something out of place!

The ref probably set his stall out after the opening couple of minutes when he produced a yellow card for a Totton player, but one thing that was a little unusual was the number of times he referred first with his assistants. I'm hoping this was for a second opinion, rather than he had missed something!

Personally, I though Tom Smith's incident was a yellow at the very worst.

As for Truro's performance, well certainly a lot better than last Tuesday! The back four looked safer with Tom back, although him and Jake had their hands full in the opening 50 minutes. After this, Truro perhaps could have made more of Totton sitting back slightly, but a draw probably a fair result on the night.

Unfortunately living almost 300 miles from Treyew Road, I missed the game, Didcot is a yes though, I had the pleasure of others company on TigerTalk and the Totton fans forum, I got the opinion from those that it blowed a gale and hardly stopped raining, if that were the case ooffing it for once may have been the safe option, that is not attractive to watch but both clubs were obviously playing it safe under difficult conditions.

Yesterday proved one thing, City are NOT a bad team and can mix it with the best this league has to offer.

i thought the most entertaining thing at the game last night was the small hardy bunch of away supporters who sang all night. they did look a bit worse for wear but then so would i if i had been on the lash since 9.30am.good on them for making such a long journey for a midweek game.

they also said that truro's facilities were second to none compared to theirs, and they would be very hospitipal if anyone made the return journey :smiley20: :clapper: