Cornwall Football Forum

PENZANCE AFC V NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Those of us from Mount Wise will be travelling in hope, more than expectation, although I understand the defence may be bolstered by the return of our very own 'Tony Adams'. I should imagine we shall be shooting on sight, no point mixing it if you can blast them from 35 yards and the keeper not even notice that their has been a shot til the net bulges behind him.

Looking forward to this one, both sides will be up for it and we expect nothing but banter from the home crowd. We are meeting in the Yacht if anyone wants to joins us for an early snifter.

Heres to a cracking game !!!! :drink::thumbsup: :c:

Guest Black&White

Full time score:

Penzance 0 Newquay 2 (Scott Palmer, Luke Weldhen) (h/t 0-0)

In-form Newquay produced a superb all-round team performance to inflict a first home league defeat of the season on the Magpies, a defeat that was far more comprehensive than the final scoreline would suggest.

The Peppermints clearly wanted the points far more than a dreadfully lack-lustre home side, bossing the game virtually from start to finish and sealing their win with two exquisite goals from strike duo Scott Palmer and Luke Weldhen in the second half.

On this form, Newquay could easily emerge as genuine challenges in the title race, while for the Magpies it's back to the drawing board for next Saturday's derby game at Porthleven in the Cornwall Senior Cup.

Guest Black&White

Yes Grant you're right, Pz couldn't have argued if Newquay had hit double figures, it was that one-sided.

Line-ups:

Penzance: Sid Taylor; Mark Hollands, Jamie Devine, Ryan Bushby, James Street, Liam Devine, James Miller, Mark Vercesi ©, Stuart Reynolds, Glyn Hooper, Jonny Ludlam. Subs: Chris Reski (for Liam Devine), Dan Richardson (for Jamie Devine), Andy Westgarth (for Reynolds); Ashley Thomas (not used).

Newquay: Matt Armstrong-Ford; Aaron Bicknell, Ashley Bradshaw, Sam McKune, Chris James, Paul Hampshire, Luke Rigby, Shaun Middleton ©, Luke Weldhen, Scott Palmer, Jake Hartigan. Subs: Matt Jose (for Palmer), Jamie Wigg (for Rigby), Andy Morris (for Middleton); Perry Harvey, Joff Bunt (not used).

Plenty of contenders for a Newquay man of the match, but Middleton, Palmer, Hartigan, Hampshire and Bicknell were the pick of an impressive bunch for the visitors.

Guest Peppermint

What a very fair assessment of the game from Black and White. A superb perfromance by th Peppermints tonight and from the keeper to Jake Hartigan Newquay fully deserved the victory and with Shaun Middleton hitting the upright and other chances this was a comprehensive victory.

I have to say it made me a very proud man to be Chairman of the Club this evening. Thanks to all our wonderful travelling supporters and your support was appreciated by the players and it was a very happy dressing room. Well done to Manager Jim Hilton and his Assistant Lee Hawkey. A great night for the Peppermints.

I was there paul,crowd about 150ish i would say.I would also say pz have same problems as 2 weeks ago at godolphin,boys roll up your sleeves and get involved.Sorry but squad needs a couple of players to make things happen.Nice to see black &white back on here thought you may have been banned????

Good performance though from newquay totally deserved it.

Advantage definitely with port now. :angry2:

Grant :thumbsup: What do penzance fc and the newquay area/airport have in common!Both won't be flying high soon!!!Maybe the gossip on this forum this week got to the pz players!I was watching tonight-Why sub the 3 old pz players from last season?Why not sub some of the new players who r on big money,after a performance like that they should take a pay cut!!!!

great result for us at callington. we play home to plymstock only 4 points behind port who have played less games than any of the top half. so hopefully a win for us and dobwalls and truro/st austell get a point we go joint second. could this be the start of the penzance downfall especially as tough opp next week v porthleven even tho its cup a bad result could affect them. 3 losses out of 4 would be not good for them. could be good fortune for when we play penzance december 20th. we lost 2-4 to newquay and they have become such strong opp than they were start of season. and for all teams the new installment of a manager has put a spring in their steps and really dominated the cup game.

Guest Black&White

Thanks Peppermint & Handsome Dan, I don't think anyone could argue who deserved to come out on top in that game, although at half-time you did wonder if Newquay might have missed the boat after squandering so many gilt-edged chances.

Paul, it wasn't just the locals that were out in force, to be fair, although there was another good crowd at Penlee, Newquay were very well represented (not only the Judge and his merry mob, although they certainly made their presence known!) and it's fair to say the battle was won by Newquay, on and off the pitch tonight.

Probably the most noise they have heard at PZ for many a year ! We certainly helped The Peppermints onto one of the best displays ever seen by the Newquay Loyal. Trev may say that his team did not perform, if he was honest, they were outclassed. I have never seen a performance like it, we were quality from the 1st minute.

Yes it was 0-0 at HT and we were wondering if PZ would nick an undeserved win but The Peppermints went out and bossed the game in the 2nd half. So much money and so little talent, boy did we let them know it ! Beaten by a pub team and now beaten by the Newquay, yeah we saw you sneeking out ! Trev was as ungracious as usual after the match, but he knows he got done by the better team (again). As one Nqy fan said, money dosn't buy you happiness. Quality from back to front for The Peppermints, Ash may have got the nod for sliding into the assistant manager, but Luke Whelden got the travelling fans vote for his superb strike to put the game beyond doubt and his all round hard work. Thats not to mention, that 7 others were nominated.

Yes, Newquay were out in numbers tonight and made themselves heard in the 2nd half, the players and management were quick to thank the fans after the match, which is always appreciated. After a swift session in The Magpie, which seemed to be dominated by red/white, the celebrations continued in our own clubhouse with more singing.

As a football fan, it is nights like these that you live for. No one expected a Newquay win, even I would have taken a draw before K.O. but you have to keep the faith, sometimes it is rewarded.

Deep joy and much gravy to all involved at Mount Wise.

Not Paid (in which case thats £5k saved) or just not good enough ? Done by the Pub Team and done by the Newquay ! The were outfought by the G, and outclassed by Newquay, same big name players, but have found that they cannot expect 3 points by just turning up.

Trev is not a top manager, he will only manage a side with a budget to match his ego. Give him a bunch of lads such as Wendron (or Goonhavern before them) and see how he does. I could pick the Chelsea or Man Utd side week in week out but would struggle with West Brom.

Have the decency Trev to admit you were second best on Fri night, and you may salvage some respect. You have quality players and pay them for doing a job, Newquay have a fifth of the PZ budget but the boys have the passion and desire to play for the club, spot the difference ?

The PZ fans who have made comments on the match have had the grace to tell it as it was, will Trev ? and weds lotto numbers are...............

great points judge! :thumbsup:Think,if the local corner shop started selling more fruit and veg than the local tesco's,then the local tescos manager would be sacked!Only in cornwall,would clubs in step 6 give 1000 a match to players,why not give the money to charity or youth development!

Guest Cornishdave1980

Judge - I didn't relise it was a requirement for a manager to come on this website to comment on a match??????

Sports Lover - Are you speculating!!!!!! I sure this is not the place to talk about clubs internal affairs and I sure a Penzance club official has stated previously on this site such comments would not be replied to.

It also not very prudent to mock peoples financial situations.... im sure certain individuals use their football earnings to pay things like mortgages etc

well said judge and bananaman its good to hear some straight talkin on hear for a change. too many people seem come on here and want to be nicey nicey and the only opinion they seem to have is the uncontroversial, safe, back slaapping etc. whats the point in having a forum if all people want to do is come on here and tell each other how great we all are.the truth is that trevor/penzances had a head start on everybody this season because they started the season with the biggest budget. as good a manager as trevor supposedly is (acording to some) his team are being found out and therefore so is he.

Guest Cornishdave1980

Dave the Rave I agree with you, nicey nicey can be very boring and we live in a country of free speech. Fatcual is fine but gossip, which all too often fillls this site is just annoying.

Sports Lover - the only reason i contested your comment is that they is no hard evidence to back it up even if someone local to PZ told you.

Guest Peppermint

A few points about some of the postings on the topic which should be about how brilliantly Newquay played on Friday evening. Some Penzance supporters who I happened to speak to had nothing but praise for the way Newquay deservedly on the night won the match.

All this needless speculation about budgets and Trevor Mewton's management capabilities are taking the gloss off what was an excellent night for the Peppermints. One swallow does not make a summer and Newquay will have to ensure they now consistently play in the forthcoming matches including a potential banana skin in the Cornwall Senior Cup at St Dominick next Saturday.

On the Combination League section there is a topic still running on whether Dave Fisher because of one loss is suddenly a bad manager - no of course not and Trevor Mewton is not a bad manager all of a sudden because of one loss to what was on the night an inspired Newquay.

I am sure Trevor congratulated Jim Hilton after the match and the fact is that all this counterproductive slanging match is just hearsay.

Let's celebrate the win for Newquay and praise the players by all means but reducing this topic to gossip and denegrating a good manager is not conducive to the good relationship that Newquay have with the Magpies and John Mead who is probably the most respected administrator in the County.

Guest Sport Lover

There was a question mark at the end of statement, turning it into a question.

Also you dont know if there is or isnt hard evidence because you dont know who told me he certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about because he also mentioned property deals and building projects that are involved.

Thanks for the kind comments Peppermint, as well as your attempt to refocus the thread upo Newquays great performance. I really think I must stop going away for a weekend during the season - the only game I missed was season was a 5 - 1 defeat away to Mousehole!

I had hoped that my previous comments on another posting might have quelled the rumours that some people feel the necessity to spread and compound. Contined, mis-informed speculation could result in serious consequencies for Penzance AFC. Sponsors are difficult enough to find as it is and we would prefer to keep them - rather than have them walk away because of unsubstantiated gossip.