Cornwall Football Forum

Manager quits

Guest Monty

<_< .

Just like to add. Well done to the nameless arses who continually come on this forum and spout utter crap, your slagging off and snide remarks about good football people worked, finally got your way again eh!!

If its true and you have left Wendron, good luck in the future Winno.

It's a shame it didn't work out for Symon and Wendron but I'm sure both he and the club will work things out for themselves in the future. Symon is a top bloke and there will be many clubs seeking his services I'm sure of that. I also wish Steve and the rest of the hardworking team at Wendron the very best of luck for the future.

To be honest i don't blame him for Resigning, Its was always going to be monumental task for Winno but he had the bollocks to take it on and give it a go, but with players quitting week in week out to play a lower standard of football i guess he just had enough. It was not easy for him juggling his business and management and suppose it just could not see the light at the end of the tunnel, If you havent got players commitment then it is a very difficult job trying to get the right results and all these reasons whether right or wrong forced Winno to call it a day. :smiley20:

Guest Peppermint

Totally agree with Dermot - at least Symon is willing to give it a go and I am sorry it did not work out. Some of the recent postings on the Forum have implied that Wendron might be better off in the Combination League with their First Team - if this is true than it was always going to be an uphill struggle for Symon.

I don't think you will have anyone connected to Newquay Football Club being anything than supportive of Symon.

Symon is a top man and, as Jimbo stated, he will have no trouble finding a position in football and I wish him well in the future. Always welcome at Mount Wise where he was very popular with players and supporters.

Sorry to hear that Symon has called time as Manager of Wendron. It's a hard job to be manager of a side at any level in this day and age.It's also true that many people who criticise managers have never been one themselves and have no idea what dedication and commitment is needed just to turn out a team for every game.

It's so easy to have a pop at people from the comfort of your laptop. A little more encouragement for our elite band of managers in the Cornish game might not go amiss.They are like referees-not enough to go around!

Good luck to you Symon and let's hope you find somewhere for your talents soon.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Has this actually been confirmed ? Winno always seemed to be a strong willed man who wouldn't take any crap. Perhaps those who didn't see his appointment as a step up have finally got their way. Winno was top man at Helston and did well in his short time at Mount Wise, let us hope if this thread is true, that Winno goes on to prove his distractors wrong.

Unfortunately it is my duty to confirm the winno is no longer manager of our 1st team. The resignation was a mutual dicision between si and the club. Winno put total commitmant into his role during his time at the club, and for that we thank him for everything he did whilst at the club, and we wish him all the best in the future, and hope that there is no animosity between si and the club. Si is a top man who im sure will not be out of work for long.

Mike Newbury and Gary Pascoe have agreed to take over the running of the 1st team.

Thanks winno for all your hard work, hope to see you again in the near future.

Pete Tully

Wendron

Guest pitch invader

Winno,

I want to apologise for what I have said recently, but Wendron has always meant a lot to me and and it's more frustration at what is happening at the club than you personally but you unfortunately bore the brunt of it.

The trouble is that in that league you have to pay money or die and Wendron can't or won't pay the kind of money needed. I feel that in their haste to become a leading club they tried to run before they could walk and now they are falling over their own boots.

Thanks to all of you who have critised my comments over the past few weeks but maybe you should get your facts straight first before you say anything, I know what it's like up there, I was there for more than one season, in fact I was there probably before most of you were born

Good luck in whatever you decide Winno

Merry Christmas

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wonder how long it will be before Pitch Invader starts slating the next poor bugger who takes on the very difficult task of running Wendron's first team?? My guess is it won't be long past the final whistle on Saturday! I suppose some people are not happy unless they are moaning anyway. The message is: "if you care so much about the club, get off your fat one and help out on/off the pitch rather than sniping away from the comfort of your computer".

All the best at Millbrook on Saturday lads!

Guest football mad

Football is a very opinated sport, if you cant take the bad with the good you shouldnt be involved in this game. Winno seems to get more praise on here then not so to say this topped his decision is abit over the top in my opinion

Anelka could never settle as a footballer maybe winno is the same

Winno I know a club interested in acquiring your services :clapper:

I realy dont think winno would of quit because of comments on here because as you said he got a lot of possitive comments aswell and if he quit becasue of comments on a website its abit sad. from what iv heard he quit because of work/family commitments but im sure he will come on here and enlighten everyone when he is ready. the only thing that would be a bit biased on his part would be if he realy did quit like he said beacuse of family/work commitments and is then managering another club next week! but all the best for him cheerss

Hi all, Just want to clear a few things up. Yes I have resigned as manager of Wendron Utd Football Club. It was a mutual decision between myself the Chairman and the Director of football. I do have family commitments which have changed a little in last few weeks add this to running my own business Im a very busy man.Being a manager of a football club requires 110% commitment and if you cant give that in the interests of the club you should not be there.The main reason behind my decision though is

I went to Wendron and I really thought I could turn things round at the club bring some players in get them playing in a way I seemed would get some points on the table. This has proven very hard for me indeed I got some of the players in I wanted and they came and gave it a go which I credit them for. But when your down the bottom and their is no money for travelling to games miles away the attraction to anyone just isn't there. Especially when you have so many clubs in the vicinity compensating their players for the privilage of playing at senior and junior level. Belive me I have exhausted my network of players and even ex players but they just don't seem to want to commit. I hold nothing against any of them because in this day and age and the economy people are not going to give up work on a Saturday morning to travel to Plymouth for a game of football pay your own way there it just doesnt happen anymore.

Wendron are like myself they totally belive in no money for players and I agree with the ethos they have 100% but as a manager at this level I now see its a very different world out there to what we are thinking.

The club is terrific and they will get to where they want to be in the end, they have some very good people at the club and with the facilities they have which are seconed to none. They will be a force in Cornish football for many years to come. I have to say a big thankyou to all the players that have given me 110% week in week out since my appointment your a credit to yourselves and the club. Also a big thankyou to Richie Full and Gary Pascoe my assistant managers and Jamo the physio and his dad. Great mention of thanks must go to Kevin Williamson who runs the line weekin weekout top bloke. Also Paul Murray the combo boss he gets the harder end of the stick than anyone players been taken week in week out to bolster our squad. Also Peter Thorne Steve Webber and a massive mention to President Jack Prowse whos tireless work behind the scenes is unbelievable.Credit to yourself Jack....

My decision is 100% my own and I have to admit to all that I have failed in my attempts at Wendron but you learn from your failings and I hopefully will from mine

Comments made on here didnt affect my final decision to resign but they dont help. There is far to much negativity on here football is hard enough as it is.

I want to remain involved in football in some capacity probably not management for this season anyway but you never know. But I defeinently have a temptation maybe to play again. So if anyone is interested in any offers give us a pm on here please. or my mobile is 07789935094

AS THE GREAT MAN ARNIE SAYS HIMSELF

ILL BE BACK

It takes a brave man (or woman) to admit when they've reached their limit Winno. You are a great bloke and a credit to any club that has you - all the best for the future and I hope our paths cross again soon :D

Guest Peppermint

Well done Winno - as always a honest and frank posting about the situation.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you do and football is a poorer place without you.

Look forward to meeting up with you at some stage.

its a shame that winno has found himself fighting a losing battle, just because of the lack of financial backing at the club.

it would be interesting to see if the likes of mr mewton could manage a club like wendron. he said he wanted a challenge but i dont see the challenge in constantly managing the clubs with the most money.

i bet winno would be up near the top of the league with more than enough players wanting to play for him if he was managing penzance with so much money.

I'm not sure how Trevor comes into this equation ay all.

Sure he's had a good budget wherever he's been but he's also the most successful manager in the league's history.

If you wanted a manager who is almost certain to bring you success who would you give the money to Trevor Mewton or someone else?

There are plenty of others out there who have been given big budgets and failed to deliver. Trevor can get the best players, work with them and their egos and deliver the goods. It's a totally different position.

Wendron have made their position on paying players clear and we should all give them respect for that, they have a fantastic set-up and a legacy that will stand tall for many years to come.

Good luck to them and to Winno, both will have good futures in Cornish football.

This thread is nothing to do with Trevor the guy is a great manager whom I have played under and enjoyed my time with. I would 1 day really like to see Trevor Alan Carey or a big named manager at a so called smaller club in the Peninsula leagues to see exactly what would happen there.

I have decided to play again and have had quite a few offers but I am away this weekend taking my daughter to Heathrow airport and wont be making any decisions yet. Hopefully I can still do a job between the sticks wherever I go. I think I can!!!!!!!!!

tommy, trevor comes into it because i braught him into it. i was making a comparison about the manager with the most money in the division and the manager with the least. trevor stated that he was looking for a chalenge when he took over at penzance which had me scratching my head at the time. if he wanted a real challenge then why not take on a team with a modest budget or better still a wendron and then we could realy see what he is made of. you may think he has taken on a big challenge but i certainly dont thats my opinion. Lets see what happens if penzance get promoted but find that next season several teams have more money than his club, my money says he wont see the job through. i may of be wrong, but we will see.

it is a shame seeing managers leaving so early in the seasons why. obvious some people cant stand to respect their managers. that bodmin, liskeard (before cooper), vospers, wendron, mousehole and newquay changed their managers. what the hell is going on. we at callington only played them last week and won 3-2 and they gave a good game nothing for the manager to leave over. they have a decent set-up good people and the manager praised me after the game and i had an enormous respect for him after the game and when we play them again but unfortunately some arsehole has done something to upset him TOO MANY BILLY BIG TIMERS IN THIS LEAGUE THINK THEIR BETTER THAN THEY ARE. WRONG!!!!! ELSE UD BE IN PREMIER FOOTBALL OR HIGHER. NEED TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES.

Guest Peppermint

Just a correction Callymike - as far as Newquay are concerned Jim Hilton and Symon Winnan were joint managers and Symon left because he had the chance to manage another CSWL side on his own. So Jim Hilton is now sole manager with Lee Hawkey as his assistant. Therefore we have not had a complete new management structure.

Hope that clarifies the situation - and Symon left with the support of Newquay Football Club as we understood the situation. Symon is still respected at Mount Wise.

(it is a shame seeing managers leaving so early in the seasons why. obvious some people cant stand to respect their managers. that bodmin, liskeard (before cooper), vospers, wendron, mousehole and newquay changed their managers. what the hell is going on. we at callington only played them last week and won 3-2 and they gave a good game nothing for the manager to leave over. they have a decent set-up good people and the manager praised me after the game and i had an enormous respect for him after the game and when we play them again but unfortunately some arsehole has done something to upset him TOO MANY BILLY BIG TIMERS IN THIS LEAGUE THINK THEIR BETTER THAN THEY ARE. WRONG!!!!! ELSE UD BE IN PREMIER FOOTBALL OR HIGHER. NEED TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES)

just wanted to add a reply to this callymike

firstly it was a great game against u last week, good bunch of lads u have there and also thanks for helpin out when i was treating the bad injury to one of our players until the ambulance arrived, was much apreciated!

just wanted to respond to your post though, not sure if its how its worded but it didnt come across too well in concern to winno leaving as manager so wanted to clarify a few things!

firstly, we at Wendron did not get rid of Winno as manager, it was his decision and one that the club respects! Obviously it would not have been our choice to want to get rid of a manager so soon but Winno has his reasons for wanting to go and everyone should respect this, he has a change in family commitments at the minute, plus as we all know it takes up a lot of your time to manage a team, its not all about a saturday afternoon but taking a lot of time out of your week organising things etc and due to his business commitments as well he was finding it harder to juggle it all!

added to that his frustration in trying to bring players to Wendron, i know for a fact he tried to bring several players to the club, all of which declined, which is a shame as we have some of the best facilities in the county, yet obviously the attraction on playing on a great pitch with great facilities isnt enough in this current day and as we do not offer any money at all for players , its obviously had a factor on players not wanting to come here! i know Winno was very frustrated after all the effort he put in to get these players here, but to no avail, so with all of these factors together he decided to call it a day, no hard feelings from Wendron or Winno and all on very good terms, i spoke to Winno on the phone this week and he still loves the club and all associated with it and we would welcome him back anytime.

as for the Big Time Charley comments and the "some arsehole has done something to upset him"?! Well as i have clarified in the above statement, knowone upset him and it was an amicable decision, also, Wendron Utd are as far from big time charlies as u could wish to meet, quite the oposite in fact!! I think we are probably one of the only teams that does not and will not pay in the south western leagues, all of our players pay for all of there own travelling etc, plus Jack the groundsman and Kevin that runs the line and myself all give up our own time for free as well, a lot of work goes on at wendron, probably more than at most other clubs but we all do it for nothing, players and management members, why do we do it?! not bcos of money but for the love of football and most importantly for the love of Wendron football Club. I think its fantastic at South Western level that we can give that kind of commitment and love for the club with no money! Shame more people like that are not out there i will add!

so again i repeat, we are the oposite of big time charlies and probably the most down to earth bunch u could meet! I know in this current climate its appealing to play for money but i think we gain a lot more respect for doing what we do out of the love of the game and the club. On top of that i personally feel Wendron are one of the nicest and friendliest clubs i have ever been involved with, i have played for Falmouth Town and Newquay etc in the early 90's so have been at big clubs! But Wendron are definately the friendliest club in my career, i dont know of anyone at the club who is above there station or thinks they are someone that they are not

this post isnt having a dig at you callymike at all. just clarifying a few things as wasnt sure what u were getting at with your post and we look forward to seeing your lads again soon for the return game and hope it will be as good as our last meeting!

Guest Macho Man

One last note. No there was no money for players to travel but the oldest member of the club decided to put on a bus(and pay out his own pocket) to pick up and take all the players(and anyone else) to away games. For some that was not good enough as they wanted to be picked up close to there homes!!! You know who you are. Who in there right minds thinks the bus will go to Chiverton on route from St Austell to Wendron!!! Some people just want it all and as Jamo said there are no big time Charlie's at Wendron.

thats very true Macho man, Jack our groundsman paid for the coach for the away game, he puts in a hell of a lot of work at the club which is apreciated a lot by most! i know what u are going on about with the coach route picking players up etc lol, i wont get involved in that due to my club commitments though, but in general Wendron football Club and its members are a hard working bunch and alsways will be and hopefully that will stand us in good stead to attract players into the club due our attitude and facilities etc!

Ok all jokes aside, i think its a great shame that Winno has left although i didnt know him personally, however, hope that with the guidance of the new managers, that Wendron will still be fighting strong to succeed and the passion should come from within the team. It shouldnt be about the money, but for the love of the game! I have been to many clubs, and have to say that the Wendron facilities are by far the best. :D

In my response to all this about managers leaving...i have no doubt that winno has his reasons,for leaving

but make no mistake,,i manage just a lowly but good side sennen fc,who cannot pay players,and who themselves pay to play,for the so called beautiful game,,but no club will gain there expectations without a budget large enought to cope, with some demands from players..long gone are the days of loyalty..this only remains in a pay packet..and at senior level football,you want sucess..you pay for it..

most players want to win silverware,thats what their in it for..but give any manager even at lower level soccer. a budget and you can still make a silk purse out of a pigs ear!! i am indeed thankful that i don't have to chase players with a cheque book..that's where the problem starts...good luck to winno..

Well done lads Im really pleased at the result. As I said before great bunch of lads whom I am sure will be okay. I think this topic should be laid to rest now and let Wendron and myself move on with what we have to do.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AT WENDRON UTD

great post by Norry, sums up cornish football at the moment...... Winno unfortunetly has discovered that loyalty and money don't go together, I spent nearly the whole of last season and this preseason chasing players and the first question they asked was "How much" and when told nothing they say they have better offers to play lower league football......... I had 6 or 7 loyal players like most teams and then you would have to scrape around and fill a team out with players from the junior leagues, who wanted to try and better themselves and play higher for nothing something I have great respect for.

I have said on here before that you have to be ambitious and play as high as you can and if that means playing in a team at swl level for nothing then that's your foothold and if youre good enough you will get noticed by the bigger sides, example Paul Robertson, played up front for us last season after moving down from scotland, bagged 11 goals and Porthleven signed him for this season and is a first team regular.

When I was 12 /13 I would go and watch my local team Greenwich Borough in the london sparten league and wish that I could play at that level and I got involved with the club as ballboy and than a youth team player and then a 1st team player at the age of 16 and I remember my first game was at BROB Barnet and we played at Barnets ground and I recieved a wage packet of £5. It just goes to show that you have to take a gamble especially when you're young, you never know when that career ending tackle will come .............

Winno keep going mate there is a lack of keepers out there, I have had untold calls from clubs since august including swl sides to play for them so I'm sure you'll find someone........

in case your wondering I turned them all down because they couldn't pay the £100 a game i was demanding....... :yahoo: :yahoo: