Cornwall Football Forum

Do you run an under 8's team

Football leagues ban for under-8s

The FA said children would still be allowed to play competitive matches

The Football Association has banned competitive leagues and cups for boys and girls in the under-8 age group.

The move, which will take effect from next season, means no league tables or results will be published. The FA said there was too much emphasis on winning leagues, when the need was to improve youngsters' skills.

FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking stressed that the under-8s would still be allowed to play competitive matches against each other.

Sir Trevor said: "It's widely accepted that we need to improve the skills and technique of players in this country.

Every game played is competitive, but undoubtedly having league tables at this age is not helping their development

Sir Trevor Brooking

"At the moment we are not at the same level as other countries. In the youngest age groups there's too much emphasis on winning leagues, often to satisfy parents and coaches.

"That's what we're looking to change. We need better, more skilful players coming through."

He added: "Of course, we are not banning children from competing against each other in football.

"Every game played is competitive, but undoubtedly having league tables at this age is not helping their development. It is the league tables being stopped rather than matches."

Long ball

FA director of communications Adrian Bevington told BBC Radio 5 Live that a failure to produce skilful players was a problem in England.

"Kids at a very young age are being encouraged and pressured by coaches and parents just to kick the ball long, lump it forward to try and win a game, to get a result to win a league," he said.

"We're not trying to take the competitiveness out of football matches, but we're trying to ensure that skill and development can be encouraged and harnessed, to move forward."

Children at under-8 level play Mini-Soccer, which has rules similar to football but with smaller pitches and fewer players on each team.

The Scottish Football Association said it encouraged "trophy-free" football for that age group but did not ban competitions.

The Football Association of Wales and the Irish Football Association - which governs the game in Northern Ireland - do not have any official competitive football that young.

I agree, anyone who has watched tonights final, or the tournament as a whole will agree with the continental system. Children should learn to appreciate the game before they start worrying about what tophies they will win next season. You can buy an awful lot of trophies for £50 but leasons learnt at 7,8 &9 will stay with players for a long time!

Could be one of the best initiatives coming out of the FA for a long time.

Anyone who watched last night's final will see how important technical ability is, and I wonder if we'd have played the same way against the Germans or would we have gone long and tried to beat their two bungling centre half in an aeriel battle?

Good for Spain and great for the game.

Could be one of the best initiatives coming out of the FA for a long time.

Anyone who watched last night's final will see how important technical ability is, and I wonder if we'd have played the same way against the Germans or would we have gone long and tried to beat their two bungling centre half in an aeriel battle?

Good for Spain and great for the game.

your right tommy,when i started under sixteens was the start of competitive games,when i see some of the kids games it makes me cringe to hear what the parents shout out,should just be playing for fun at that age,maybe under 14s,to start would be a good start :blink:

its certainly something that I've said before as well. Leagues and things like that should only be brought in when you join secondary school. An 8 year old kid enjoying a game of football on a Saturday morning or Sunday morning, and they got to win? whats all that about?

Unfortunatly the kids get used in football nowadays, if you have kid set ups it means the club gets more financial grants from the FA and things,

It's no problem having a youth system, it's just that when you have leagues it's natural that everyone wants to win them.

Then you get a "win at all costs" mentality which is not necessarily condusive to good football, more towards the strongest and fastest players winning the games for you.

For those who currently employ those tactics may I just say, the smaller ones will eventually catch up and their technical skills will shine through. If the bigger players don't learn how to play and simply use their strength and speed, they'll have nothing to compete with when they reach their teens.

Get the football right and the results will take care of themselves!