Cornwall Football Forum

Jolly's Combination League AGM 2008

The Packet © - Link

Jolly's Combination League AGM 2008 By Leon Prynn

TORVILLE and Dean managed it on a couple of occasions, but even their efforts of a perfect mark pale into insignificance when compared to Helston Athletic Football Club's Jason Grigor.

Jason, the club's Jolly's Combination League linesman, won the accolade of the league's top linesman at the league's annual general meeting held last week, but that doesn't tell the full story because Jason won it with a perfect five out of five score for matches over the entire league season.

The story doesn't end there either, because although it is an achievement to win the top-marked linesman for the season, amazingly it is the fifth time that Jason has landed the top award.

Helston will be hoping that as a club they can follow in his footsteps in future seasons. The winner of the Fred Malone Cup, the club who scored most goals, went to Truro City with 172 goals.

The top referee was Colin Spence with 86.62; 2, Steve Rose 86.45; 3, Brian Harris 83.80. Portreath, as expected, were the only club admitted to the league with no relegation taking place.

All the league's officers were re-elected.

Certificated linesperson

(Top ten places)

J Grigor Helston 5.00

I Baxter St Agnes 4.61

B Triggs Perranwell 4.58

P Gribble Illogan 4.56

D Leonard Porthleven 4.50

D Searle St Day 4.50

A Edney Penryn 4.47

D Atkins Penzance 4.33

M Brownfield Ludgvan 4.33

D James Truro City 4.25

The draw for the League Cup was - preliminary round: Portreath v Holmans, Falmouth Town v Penryn Athletic, Perranporth v Wendron United, St Agnes v Porthleven. First round: Illogan v St Just, St Agnes/Porthleven v Hayle, St Ives v RNAS Culdrose, Newquay v St Day, Perranporth/Wendron v Falmouth Town/Penryn Athletic, Ludgvan v Penzance, Holmans/Portreath v Mullion, Perranwell v Helston Athletic. Jolly's Combination League

Sporting Award

St Day 4.30

Wendron United 4.26

Illogan RBL 4.21

Porthleven 4.16

Perranporth 4.14

Truro City 4.06

Ludgvan 4.07

Falmouth Town 4.00

Penzance 3.94

Perranwell 3.94

Penryn Athletic 3.92

Mullion 3.90

Newquay 3.89

St Agnes 3.87

Helston Athletic 3.80

Hayle 3.71

Holmans 3.70

RNAS Culdrose 3.54

St Just 3.43

St Ives Town 2.90

I demand a re-count!!! How come Anita's not on that list <_< She should be at the top!! :thumbsup:

guess it would help if i was male :D i know most if not all of them on that list have been doing it for years :clapper:

I personally don't agree with the marking of linesmen then making a list of the top 10, partly because i know of a few lineos that are nervous and just learning and to not be on the 'list' could knock their self confidence and they could quit. They should be encouraged, not made to feel that they ain't good enough because they didn't make the list. Maybe an award for top linesman but not a list. :D

Guest Ronin

Here's a question while I'm on my soapbox.....

How come Anita never gets asked to ref a game? She's a fully qualified ref and as far as I know she's a fully paid up member of the refs association yet she never gets a game! We are always being told that refs are in short supply so I guess there most be some other reason, maybe the MAN who makes all the ref bookings has been on the wrong side of one of her tongue-lashings before???

Guest Peppermint

I agree with Anita that posting marks for assistants will do nothing for someone who is trying to make it as an assistant. The marks are a bit of a lottery and at the whim of the referees who seem to have some preconceived ideas that influence their marks.

An interesting point would be that the club assistants mark the referees.

A winner announced would be fine and congratulations to the winner but to publish a full list is not a good idea.

Everything must be done to encourage these essential people who give up their time and take absolute rubbish from, in some cases, spectators who do not even have a clue about the laws of football.

A final point is that it is nice to see Coiln Spence being the top referee - absolute quality and leaves some of the referees who officiate in the Peninsula League miles behind in ability.

, maybe the MAN who makes all the ref bookings has been on the wrong side of one of her tongue-lashings before???

nope, i've never voiced my opinion to him before :) i know when to keep my mouth shut sometimes :D and i'm fully paid up, had police check and done my child protection thingy. maybe its because i wobble when i run, was told once that they only want female refs that look good and that don't wobble (and that was by a top female FIFA ref) :unsure: no hope for me then i like chocolate way too much :P

Anita your invitation to the CCFA Awards evening shows how much you have been appreciated for all your voluntary hard work at both St Agnes AFC and Perranporth AFC during the 2007/08 season - that's a great credit to how much you have been valued at grassroots level and I am sure there will not be many others receiving awards who have not just been nominated by one Charter Standard Club but by two! Just keep up the good work as you have been and know that your support has been valued where it matters.

Guest Peppermint

Nothing against you Chown - it was interesting to see some of the winners of the referees etc but it did seem counter productive for the Combination League to publish a full list of all the scores.

Does nothing to boost the confidence of the lower placed assistants.

On a brighter note congratulations to Anita - richly deserved.

More worrying is the remark reported by Anita that was made by a so called top female referee about only wanted slim referees. Some of the male referees in the County would not win any beauty contests so what does that remark tell us.

Nothing against you Chown - it was interesting to see some of the winners of the referees etc but it did seem counter productive for the Combination League to publish a full list of all the scores.

Does nothing to boost the confidence of the lower placed assistants.

On a brighter note congratulations to Anita - richly deserved.

More worrying is the remark reported by Anita that was made by a so called top female referee about only wanted slim referees. Some of the male referees in the County would not win any beauty contests so what does that remark tell us.

Many of the male refs would win a pie eating contest though!!!!!!!!!! :P :thumbsup:

Anita your invitation to the CCFA Awards evening shows how much you have been appreciated for all your voluntary hard work at both St Agnes AFC and Perranporth AFC during the 2007/08 season - that's a great credit to how much you have been valued at grassroots level and I am sure there will not be many others receiving awards who have not just been nominated by one Charter Standard Club but by two! Just keep up the good work as you have been and know that your support has been valued where it matters.

Its a Cornwall County Football Association Football Workforce Award, I'd hate to try and say that after a few beers :smiley20: Another evening out and a good excuse to go shopping :D See you there Mandy :thumbsup:

Here's the full list as seen already in the West Briton:-

1) Jason Grigor (Helston) 5.0

2) Ian Baxter (St Agnes) 4.61

3) Brian Triggs (Perranwell) 4.58

4) P Gribble (Illogan), 4.56

5) D Leonard (Porthleven) 4.50; D Searle (St Day), 4.50

7) A Edney (Penryn), 4.47

8) D Atkins (Penzance), 4.33; M Brownfield (Ludgvan), 4.33

10) D James (Truro City) 4.25

11) J Moore (Newquay), 4.07

12) G Lord (Mullion), 4.00; S Tozer (Falmouth Town), 4.00; C Wilde (Wendron), 4.00;

15) D Lagor (St Ives), 3.92

16) L McKee (Holmans), 3.90

17) C Fairey (Culdrose) 3.75

18) R Keley (Hayle), 3.70

19) R Beer (St Just), 3.40

20) A Gittens (Perranporth), 3.28

Guest WINNO

I think you do a grand job Anita, all lino's get so much stick but I belive your fair as they come unlike sum and should be higher up that table quite a way up.

Also congrats must go to Jason of my old club Helston I think the bloke is class and winning it for 5 seasons on the trot must tell him something....