Cornwall Football Forum

Lee Hobbs -Should He Be Under Pressure at Parkway?

In short poor signings, tactically not very astute,  a seemingly poor man management weakness and another disappointing season for Parkway. I have long believed Parkway’s past successes as much down to financial muscle and hiring good coaches, than Hobbs’ ability. Is this fair? Should Hobbs be under pressure?

Some of Hobbs’ post match interviews are pretty embarrassing after a defeat. 

Been under pressure all season to be fair. 
losing Matt cusuack was the start for me a very good coach who Lee could lean on 

strikers not replaced.  Poor goal keeper at start of season eventually signed a replacement,Losing Austin booth and Dan Rooney. Long list to be honest.  The pitch situation hasn’t helped but it been poor season. 

Financial clout will get you from steps 6 to 3 but then the hard work starts as you are no longer the big fish other things like ground grading come into play which has a effect on finances the travel is costly at higher level and the pool of players gets smaller with around 10 clubs in the greater south west looking for them so I think it’s a learning curve for Lee and deserves some time 

but the pitch and lack of a run of games is a big problem 

Under pressure might be too strong, but as a high profile manager at the second ranked non league club in Devon after Torquay and the second biggest club in the biggest city in the county, he should be under scrutiny (the same should also apply to Paul Wotton at Truro). You would hope that he has a relationship with the chair and board in that he is scrutinised, questioned and challenged on his decisions and performance. Lee Hobbs has done a remarkable job in taking Plymouth Parkway from midtable in the Peninsula League when he was appointed at the end of the 2016/17 season, to the Southern Prem today, but he shouldn't feel (and I wouldn't think he does) that it's his job for as long as he wants it. You would hope that the board do have other names in mind should they consider a change is needed.

Both seasons in the Southern Prem so far have followed a similar pattern. A slow to difficult start followed by major changes to personnel and playing style, followed by a strong run in form and, what looks like will happen this time around as well, a slump in results at the end. Last season was probably because of a weather induced fixture pile up, this season? Well, the less said the better on the current predicament.  Before the current chaos hit, Parkway were on a very strong run and beating play off and promotion contenders on the way (often quite comfortably). Indeed, they did look possibilities for a tilt at the play offs themselves before it all came to a grinding halt. You have to ask the question though of what could have been were it not for the appalling start? Players such as Oscar Halls (on loan), Cameron Sangster,Adam Parkes and Shane White have proved to be very good signings and stabilised the squad, but the poor standard of the summer recruiting should not be forgotten. 5 out of the 6 had departed by December and I just wonder what exactly the thought process was behind signing Cory Harvey (a keeper that clubs at Peninsula and Western league level had replaced) and bringing back Adam Carter for the umpteenth time (someone who was considered to be not up to this level 2 years ago). That's where I would hope for some scrutiny and questioning at board level.

I think the priority for this season is now probably securing step 3 football for 2024/25, but it will be interesting to see where the Lee Hobbs/Parkway story goes after that. Does mid table Southern Prem fit Mark Russell's vision for the club and, if not, will the undoubted extra ££££ money needed to bridge the gap to the play off promotion contenders be available to the manager? There are undoubtedly gaps in the current squad both in terms of quality (especially in the forward area) and depth (still unable to fill the bench on occasions), but none of this comes cheap. Hopefully as well, after the Bolitho pitch gets a summer of rest and repair, and saying goodbye to the tenants, the pitch ceases to be an issue and Parkway get certainty regarding a reasonably scheduled fixture list with pitch inspections, postponements and rescheduling getting back to normal and manageable levels.

These are my honest thoughts and appraisal of the situation, and I realise some of this will not sit well with some Parkway folk.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

But Lee replaced him with a former favourite of his who he had worked previously successfully with!

Matt was a far better fit. Brought in fresh ideas , I think Lee  clashed with him a fair bit on certain things but that a good thing in my opinion.  Karl a mate of  lees for years as good as coach as he is I think he more in. Agreement with Lee way then Matt was. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Matt was a far better fit. Brought in fresh ideas , I think Lee  clashed with him a fair bit on certain things but that a good thing in my opinion.  Karl a mate of  lees for years as good as coach as he is I think he more in. Agreement with Lee way then Matt was. 

Was a shock when the change was made, not least for Matt Cusack to judge from his reaction. He was though a highly rated manager at Saltash before he dropped down a position at Parkway (which surprised me), so he was never going to stay "second fiddle" for too long and was always likely to return to a managerial position. He has certainly impressed at Helston, and I would have him down as a future Parkway boss (should the position become available).

On 16/03/2024 at 12:54, Ian Pethick said:

Under pressure might be too strong, but as a high profile manager at the second ranked non league club in Devon after Torquay and the second biggest club in the biggest city in the county, he should be under scrutiny (the same should also apply to Paul Wotton at Truro). You would hope that he has a relationship with the chair and board in that he is scrutinised, questioned and challenged on his decisions and performance. Lee Hobbs has done a remarkable job in taking Plymouth Parkway from midtable in the Peninsula League when he was appointed at the end of the 2016/17 season, to the Southern Prem today, but he shouldn't feel (and I wouldn't think he does) that it's his job for as long as he wants it. You would hope that the board do have other names in mind should they consider a change is needed.

Both seasons in the Southern Prem so far have followed a similar pattern. A slow to difficult start followed by major changes to personnel and playing style, followed by a strong run in form and, what looks like will happen this time around as well, a slump in results at the end. Last season was probably because of a weather induced fixture pile up, this season? Well, the less said the better on the current predicament.  Before the current chaos hit, Parkway were on a very strong run and beating play off and promotion contenders on the way (often quite comfortably). Indeed, they did look possibilities for a tilt at the play offs themselves before it all came to a grinding halt. You have to ask the question though of what could have been were it not for the appalling start? Players such as Oscar Halls (on loan), Cameron Sangster, Adam Parkes and Shane White have proved to be very good signings and stabilised the squad, but the poor standard of the summer recruiting should not be forgotten. 5 out of the 6 had departed by December and I just wonder what exactly the thought process was behind signing Cory Harvey (a keeper that clubs at Peninsula and Western league level had replaced) and bringing back Adam Carter for the umpteenth time (someone who was considered to be not up to this level 2 years ago). That's where I would hope for some scrutiny and questioning at board level.

I think the priority for this season is now probably securing step 3 football for 2024/25, but it will be interesting to see where the Lee Hobbs/Parkway story goes after that. Does mid table Southern Prem fit Mark Russell's vision for the club and, if not, will the undoubted extra ££££ money needed to bridge the gap to the play off promotion contenders be available to the manager? There are undoubtedly gaps in the current squad both in terms of quality (especially in the forward area) and depth (still unable to fill the bench on occasions), but none of this comes cheap. Hopefully as well, after the Bolitho pitch gets a summer of rest and repair, and saying goodbye to the tenants, the pitch ceases to be an issue and Parkway get certainty regarding a reasonably scheduled fixture list with pitch inspections, postponements and rescheduling getting back to normal and manageable levels.

These are my honest thoughts and appraisal of the situation, and I realise some of this will not sit well with some Parkway folk.

Not a lot there I disagree with, I think recruitment is the biggest issue at play. Sangster has been a nice surprise considering he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for 5 years when he signed. As with Harvey and Carter, I'm still scratching my head at why Lee thought the bloke Kyle Moore (who he had deemed not good enough 10 months previous) replaced at Helston was the answer. As for the rest of the summer signings, the only one I was genuinely disappointed to see go was Henry Wilson, I thought he was a good player to have in the building once he got over his injury issues at the beginning of the season. As for the quality of the signings, you just have to look at where they are now. Belsten - Exmouth, Carter and Wilson - St Austell, Harvey - Liskeard, Moulden - Willand. You do get the feeling Lee relies on his little black book, and there's only so far that can take you.

On 16/03/2024 at 14:35, Ian Pethick said:

Was a shock when the change was made, not least for Matt Cusack to judge from his reaction. He was though a highly rated manager at Saltash before he dropped down a position at Parkway (which surprised me), so he was never going to stay "second fiddle" for too long and was always likely to return to a managerial position. He has certainly impressed at Helston, and I would have him down as a future Parkway boss (should the position become available).

Lee Hobbs wanted Matt Cusack out as was known to fans and those around football Matt was the brains behind the team/tactics and Hobbs didn't like that.  Hence asked Matt to leave and bring in Karl Curtis (who is still an excellent coach), who would agree with Lee Hobbs more so than Matt did, and not take as much limelight from Hobbs

Another loss. 2-0 away to totten . 
goalscoring has been a massive problem this season . 
crago only player in double figures of 10 goals. 
The other 3 strikers have score about 9 between them . 
None of  them have scored in last 6 games  

Even more pressure on Lee  . Need to start finding wins somewhere, hopefully argyle Thursday might bring some luck