Cornwall Football Forum

proposed sin bin

Sometimes in life one is totally baffled . A few years ago sin bins were introduced for grass roots football (  or as pundits and media insulting refer to as pub football ) . The FA deemed this to be great success in cutting down on dissent . It is now being proposed that the idea will be adopted at professional level . The majority of Premiership managers are against the proposal  citing several pathetic reasons . The game at the top level is being spoilt by cheating and abuse of officials .  A way of eliminating or reducing this has been trialled with success  and  is possibly going to be introduced at the top level . Surely this would improve the game . Several managers , the Spurs manager for one , has said that losing a player for 10 minutes would ruin the game . Has he thought that perhaps if  the offending player didn't cheat or show dissent in the first place he ( or she ) wouldn't be sin binned .? Surely  if they are so much in love with the game they want to see the image improved ? More and more people are comparing  the disgusting  behavior  of fans and players in the game  to almost all other sports .

I’ve been an advocate of the sin bin for many years. The only football people against it are the cheats & whingers.

Unfortunately, I still strongly believe the TV companies will be fiercely against and I’m sure it would lead to having even more VAR interruptions.

Having an opposition player booked is little help to your team during the match. Instant justice is the way it should be.

Half a story here (as usual).

"Tottenham boss Ange Postecoglou says the possible introduction of blue cards and sin-bins would "destroy" the game.

Football's lawmakers Ifab delayed plans to release information about four proposed trials after talks with world governing body Fifa.

Under the plans, players would get blue cards for dissent and tactical fouls and spend 10 minutes off the pitch.

"Adding another [card] one. What is that going to do? The remedy is already there," said Postecoglou.

"If it's not being enforced to the level people are satisfied, do that. That's the change. One team being down to 10 men for 10 minutes, you know what that is going to do to our game? It's going to destroy it.

"You'll have one team sitting there trying to waste time for 10 minutes waiting for someone to come back on. Every other game is trying to speed up and declutter, all we are trying to do is go the other way for some bizarre reason."

If passed into the laws of the game, the introduction of a blue card would mark the biggest single change in managing player discipline since red and yellow cards came into force at the 1970 World Cup.

However, the Australian's forthright views on the topic were also echoed by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, with the proposals seemingly getting little traction among Premier League managers.

"It doesn't sound like a fantastic idea in the first moment. But actually, I can't remember when the last fantastic idea came from these guys [Ifab] - if they ever had one," Klopp said.

Meanwhile, Newcastle boss Eddie Howe, added: "I'm not a big fan, to be honest. I think that's what yellow cards are for. I think the current system works well, it's just got to be applied right.

"Adding a blue card would just add more confusion, in my opinion. I'm against it. I think [sin-bins] would change it a lot, but again not, for me, in a good way because I think it will make it very bitty, more stop-start."

Speaking earlier, Postecoglou also questioned the motivation to introduce new rules: "I struggle to understand why there is this urgency all of a sudden to bring in new things. I don't know if there's much wrong with the game as I see it and why a different colour card will make any difference."

Fifa responded to multiple stories on Thursday, some of which raised the potential for the trials to involve elite football, with a public statement urging caution.

It is understood the four trials will remain following further consideration initiated by Fifa, but it has now been decided there will be no confirmation of the precise details until a media conference immediately after Ifab's annual meeting at Loch Lomond on 2 March to allow for "further exchange".

Fifa has four of the eight seats at Ifab, with the other four belonging to the home nations.

President Gianni Infantino has previously attended Ifab annual meetings. If he does not attend, another senior official from the organisation will be present.

Sin-bins have been used at grassroots level for dissent but their use could be extended to cynical fouls as part of a trial."

Sorry, but Ange is right. However, at top level, it will probably also mean more intervention from VAR (which will unintentionally keep St. Darren busy on his VAR thread).

If that's how you like your football, great. But I like to see a ball actually being kicked around a pitch, not constant revisions by VAR and referees.

Sadly his comment about there not being much wrong with the game .sums it up . Other than the greedy game ie. the Premiership , becoming a byword for win at any cost , by fair means or foul ,  game played by grossly overpaid mercenaries , there isn't much wrong with the game .." He took one for the team ", " he won a penalty , " we have players well known for their theatrical dives , feigning injuries etc. etc. In the world of sport football is slowly turning into a laughing stock . Yes , him and Klopp are right in that the governing bodies have made a right lash up of modifying rules and the  nightmare of VAR  but something has to be done about dissent  and some aspects of foul play ie. obstruction when through on goal . Football is or should be a simple game , but in recent years , mainly through tinkering with rules it's become complex . As a comparison , when Sir Frank Whittle handed over the jet engine project to Rolls Royce he said " it 's simple system " Lord Hives chairman of Rolls Royce replied " don't worry we'll soon make it more complicated "  This is how a simple game is now becoming  .

ps for younger followers , Sir Frank Whittle was a pioneer in the invention of the jet engine .

pps As an after thought , how come the sin bin works alright in Rugby  and lower levels at football ???????

It’s not needed.

It’s not needed at the lower levels it’s already being used at and it isn’t needed at the top level being proposed.

There are already laws that exist, which state the action to be taken if any of the ‘new’ offences take place. These aren’t correctly applied. That’s the fix, not creating a new law.

• 1 month later...