Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Midweek Fixtures

Shouldn’t have to apply for promotion If you win your league you should be made to go up. Take nothing away from foxhole great side and set of lads there but it makes a mockery of the league when you keep the winning side in the league for the next season and if they all stay together they will walk the league next season too. 

12 hours ago, Pasty Lover said:

Yes very enjoyed that game dave. I thought it was a great battle and goals win games after all. I thought the St Dennis defence was solid and boy in midfield was very good! The bloke what came on up top for St Dennis in the last 30 or so also caused them problems with his movement and he was unlucky not to score. St Stephen had a fair bit of the ball, but didn't do anything with it as you say!

Well played St Dennis 👍

That person would of been me, thanks ! 😜 slowly building fitness up again… 

37 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Shouldn’t have to apply for promotion If you win your league you should be made to go up. Take nothing away from foxhole great side and set of lads there but it makes a mockery of the league when you keep the winning side in the league for the next season and if they all stay together they will walk the league next season too. 

They have to be applications as it’s a move up to step football and that means meeting ground grading requirements. I agree that if a club has applied, met grading and finished in a promotion spot they should not then be able to pull out, but you can’t have a club that doesn’t meet grading play in step 7. Torpoint can’t be promoted as their reserves already sit there so that also needs taking into account.

23 hours ago, Byron10 said:

We’re the only team that have beaten them this season you muppet. Point is valid and will remain valid untill someone else does 😂😂

SNE better yes, foxhole yes, north peth yes. st col absolutely not 😂 manager has quit along with half the team lol. Compare it to last seasons sides and this year the standard has been awful. Gunni and alternun would have walked this league and beaten foxhole twice each for a start. The fact we won the treble last year in a far more competitive league says a lot. Transitional period for us and we’ve still won the same amount as the “top top side” and a win on Saturday sees us take 3rd place. I know that’s hard for you to comprehend but it’s true 👍 

I disagree, quality has been good. Blazey improved so have looe, nuns have dropped off recently and i think they would have struggled with Foxhole... 

I think there's two answers. I think the lower half of the table have improved on last season. St Stephen, Newquay, Looe and Blazey as examples are harder to beat and have conceded less goals recently, winning more games in the process. The top half is worse this season I think. Foxhole and North Peth are quality yes, the table never lies. Foxhole's side this season compared to last adding Bidgood, Cowboy, Peers and Doodles are huge upgrades. But us (Torpoint) and SNE wouldn't have got in the top 5 last season with how we've been this year, with the top 3 all able to win the league on the final game of the season in the Torpoint vs Altarnun match. Football moves in circles. 

It's a shame Foxhole haven't applied to go up to join North Peth. I think the current squad could mix it in the upper part of the table at least. The fire power of Foxhole's forwards against the likes of Saltash Borough and St Dom's would be interesting. That's a lot of quality forwards still below their level at Step 7. Be interesting to see if the same squad stick together and do it all again. 

Also, comparing the present with the past is almost pointless in football. An extreme example I know, but it's like the Messi/Ronaldo vs Pele/Maradona debates. Completely different eras and the game has changed. We'll just never know.