Cornwall Football Forum

Oh how football has changed (for the worse)

I wish we could go back in time to the old South Western and Combination leagues being propped up by the old Falmouth and Helston and Mining divisions, football seemed so much simpler and commitment and participation was never a problem.

The more I read and see week in week out just chips away at my already fragile faith in Cornish football, Helston making good use of the mind boggling dual signing rule with Liam Eddy making a crucial midweek appearance for Helston Combo and netting 4 goals which I’m sure will be a regular occurrence now on the run in to the end of the season. 

Then the situation of Matt Wright playing for Truro Res being suspended from step 3 football but then eligible to appear in step 7 football! Undoubtedly giving Truro Res an unfair advantage wether in the rules or no you can’t argue with that.

The whole refereeing situation which seems to be getting worse rather than better, the majority of games I have witnessed this season the referees have taken a barrage of abuse from all angles and the standard continues to drop which is a natural route of passage considering the circumstances.

Games being thrown or conceded due to lack of players etc (or various other trivial reasons), what is going on in the lower Trelawny leagues etc with these cup games being conceded left right and centre? Making a laughing stock of the competition and seemingly nobody can be motivated to play out the fixture schedule!! 

Take me back to 1970/80 please someone.

Totally agree , similar situation up here , although abuse of referees isn't so bad . In my case take me back to the 60's , as far as  football from the then division one down to grass roots level . PLUS  the music was better have you noticed that most of todays music has a rhythm   but no tune ?  

3 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I wish we could go back in time to the old South Western and Combination leagues being propped up by the old Falmouth and Helston and Mining divisions, football seemed so much simpler and commitment and participation was never a problem.

The more I read and see week in week out just chips away at my already fragile faith in Cornish football, Helston making good use of the mind boggling dual signing rule with Liam Eddy making a crucial midweek appearance for Helston Combo and netting 4 goals which I’m sure will be a regular occurrence now on the run in to the end of the season. 

Then the situation of Matt Wright playing for Truro Res being suspended from step 3 football but then eligible to appear in step 7 football! Undoubtedly giving Truro Res an unfair advantage wether in the rules or no you can’t argue with that.

The whole refereeing situation which seems to be getting worse rather than better, the majority of games I have witnessed this season the referees have taken a barrage of abuse from all angles and the standard continues to drop which is a natural route of passage considering the circumstances.

Games being thrown or conceded due to lack of players etc (or various other trivial reasons), what is going on in the lower Trelawny leagues etc with these cup games being conceded left right and centre? Making a laughing stock of the competition and seemingly nobody can be motivated to play out the fixture schedule!! 

Take me back to 1970/80 please someone.

I feel for you THEMAGPIE, although I have already had a comment sent to me saying "Who an earth gets up on a sunny Sunday morning and just spouts a load of negativity? Who wants to hear that after 1000’s of people across the county have worked their nuts off to get games on this weekend. His house must be a bundle of fun 😂"

However that's the beauty of the world we live in that there is freedom of speech and if that's what you think, so be it!

I appreciate the many of volunteers working hard for Clubs up and down the County but that’s not the issue here, if you don’t like various subject matters then don’t engage, I love all things Cornish football but think we’re in a state of demise, my opinion