Cornwall Football Forum

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: HELSTON ATHLETIC V FALMOUTH TOWN

Piran

I was at the game last night and, at the time, thought both reds were correct. Now, having seen the highlights, I agree the Helston lad was unfortunate. But the ref only gets one look and it didn't look great in real time so I can understand his decision. I thought the ref generally had a good game in what was a tough local derby in which to officiate. Players from both sides argued with every decision all night, which got a bit wearing just watching from the touchline - heaven knows how irritating it must have been for the ref. I honestly believe that players - from all clubs, not just these two - would enjoy the game more, and probably improve their own performances as well, if they just concentrated on their own game instead of trying to 'manage' and influence the ref. Naive, I know, but we can dream, can't we? Good luck to Helston in the next round - would be great to see a Cornish side lift the cup.

9 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

I was at the game last night and, at the time, thought both reds were correct. Now, having seen the highlights, I agree the Helston lad was unfortunate. But the ref only gets one look and it didn't look great in real time so I can understand his decision. I thought the ref generally had a good game in what was a tough local derby in which to officiate. Players from both sides argued with every decision all night, which got a bit wearing just watching from the touchline - heaven knows how irritating it must have been for the ref. I honestly believe that players - from all clubs, not just these two - would enjoy the game more, and probably improve their own performances as well, if they just concentrated on their own game instead of trying to 'manage' and influence the ref. Naive, I know, but we can dream, can't we? Good luck to Helston in the next round - would be great to see a Cornish side lift the cup.

I agree with this aswell and the thing with the referees need to stop. What are the coaches telling the players and why do they think it's okay to do it all the time? I spent more time criticising the players for their antics and play acting than I did praising them for some good passing and attacking and defending as a supporter who paid to watch the game I wish that the teams would see these posts and try and change things because without us there would be no football being played at that level

On 22/02/2023 at 14:09, SomersetObserver said:

I'm not one to usually criticise ref but that Helston red card is a shocking decision it can only have been made to even things up, even though there could be no complaints whatsoever about the Falmouth red. Great striker for the winner but I do think a proper keeper is saving it.

Have to agree, was surprised that Town didn’t have their reserve keeper on the bench for a midweek cup tie, especially as he’s done so well when stepping up.