Cornwall Football Forum

I know Truro and co are hoping to push on into the National Leagues but here are some sobering figures.

Hereford, my team in National North had a new manager three years ago, who they have fired recently. They allowed him to overspend on players even though we are a supporters club. 

In the past three seasons they allowed him to try to push for the National Division. 

The balance at the bank went from £582,722 to £37,643. Last season the club lost £230,776.

We have just had a meeting and it won't happen again and the club is going to alter itself to be run the same way as the supporters run Exeter City which apparently is the most "level-headed" of supporters' run clubs. 

No wonder I get begging letters asking me to take part in this, that and other. One good note, after eight years of decline our Supporters Trust member numbers are slowly rising again.

Lost £200,000 due to covid.

Dreams of Nation League.

Also players got injured so they hired more without sacking the injured ones. Squad got bigger and bigger when you can only put a certain number on the pitch.

Manager wasn't cruel enough. 

Need 2,200 through gate to break even. Too many mid week games where we did not get those numbers.

15 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

How on earth was the spending allowed to happen?

You can find plenty of similar stories over the years right through the NLS pyramid. In Cornwall you have the examples  of Falmouth Town and Truro City.

Too many clubs flying too close to the sun, with many enjoying the experience while it lasted. 

13 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I have absolutely no idea how Truro survive on crowds of 180 odd. And player budget that is up there at the top 

People talk about Parkway's spending but, from what I gather, Lee Hobbs works within pretty well defined budgets (and sticks to them).

They do also have decent gates at Bolitho, and the commercial and sponsorship revenues do seem to be developing all the time under a full time commercial manager.

2 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

People talk about Parkway's spending but, from what I gather, Lee Hobbs works within pretty well defined budgets (and sticks to them).

They do also have decent gates at Bolitho, and the commercial and sponsorship revenues do seem to be developing all the time under a full time commercial manager.

I know for a fact lee works and battles for every pound from the club for players. Certainly on good money but doubt even the top 10 of clubs.  And that on back of very good gates and sponsors 

On 18/02/2023 at 19:33, cornishteddyboy said:

I know Truro and co are hoping to push on into the National Leagues but here are some sobering figures.

Hereford, my team in National North had a new manager three years ago, who they have fired recently. They allowed him to overspend on players even though we are a supporters club. 

In the past three seasons they allowed him to try to push for the National Division. 

The balance at the bank went from £582,722 to £37,643. Last season the club lost £230,776.

We have just had a meeting and it won't happen again and the club is going to alter itself to be run the same way as the supporters run Exeter City which apparently is the most "level-headed" of supporters' run clubs. 

No wonder I get begging letters asking me to take part in this, that and other. One good note, after eight years of decline our Supporters Trust member numbers are slowly rising again.

I suppose it would be a pitfall for supporter-run clubs that their heart would rule their head in these situations. 

Even some businessmen seem to abandon the logic that made them rich once they get in charge of a football club!