Cornwall Football Forum

Englands Women

If anyone had any doubt about the evolving quality of ladies football, it's to be hoped that they treated themseves to watching the England v Spain match on T.V.
Both teams played the game with an enthusiasim and commitment that in general thankfully lacked the play acting that currently adorns the mens game at all levels.
Thank goodness the B.B.C. commentators didn't have any say in the final outcome of the game, their criticisim of everything and everybody in the english team compared with Spains perceived superiority was answered when after the doom laden comments when England conceded a goal, two stunning goals from Toone and a brilliant effort from Stanway made them eat their words.
Too often we are fed opinions rather than the facts of a situation.
Well done both teams for providing an entertaining and telling advertisement for ladies football

5 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I wouldn’t say the competition has been completely devoid of dissent and play acting though!

Agreed, but it's a concern that it doesn't develop to the level of the mens game which is way ahead in the on field theatrical stakes.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

If that happens We Two I will stop watching it all. I'm sick to death of the way in which football is going. It used to be called a sport !

Yup Keith B, I dont watch a lot of it due to the theatrics, bunch of old fan×ies in my world. 

They couldn't go to work with a proper bunch of working men.

I was lucky enough to be at the Amex for the England v Spain game. It was one of the best football-watching experiences I have had in years. The noise when Ella Toone equalised was immense and sensational. I loved it. But let's not pretend it was a Utopian football experience. There was plenty of time-wasting, diving and generally going to ground easily by both sides.  However, the standard of refereeing was excellent- just because someone fell over didn't automatically mean it was a foul. Superb. And the standard of football was exceptional. As the ad around the ground said, women play football, not women's football. We are all meant to be fans of the beautiful game on this forum so let's just embrace what we are seeing- Euro 22 has been superb. England just need to beat Germany in the final now! (And if anyone can get hold of tickets for that please let me know how)!

4 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

(And if anyone can get hold of tickets for that please let me know how)!

Bad luck on that score Blogger, for any competition of any standing whether it's football or horse racing, ticket availability will always be at a premium and on the black market is the only likely route to obtaining a ticket to a final event.

For the record 500,000 tickets are said to have been sold for the various games leading to the final at Wembley which houses 90,000 spectators and COULD set a record attendance for either a male or female  Euro Final which currently is around 41,000.

German sour grapes has raised its ugly head in some German newspapers this morning, suggesting in their words, that depite a V.A.R. review a hand ball was blatantly overlooked and Germany was robbed.!!!!.
There was no mention of course of the cynical fouls that Germany was guilty of in an attemt to intimidate their opposition.
No game of course is ever devoid of fouls from both sides involved, and this one was no exception, but it's to be hoped that what we saw will encourage the developmnt of the ladies game and not encourage the cynical foul play and play acting that at present is mainly absent in womens football.
Well done England Ladies you have given the country a well deserved boost of some very welcome GOOD NEWS !