Cornwall Football Forum

TRELAWNY LEAGUE - 30 April 2022

So Illogan hosted these two Cup Finals and a very good afternoon's entertainment it was, too!

Jubilee Cup Final for Trelawney 4 - St Keverne 4, Falmouth United Reserves 2

A 'keeper error allowed St K in for 1 -  0 on 17 and a header skimmed the Falmouth bar on 31. A move down the right led to a timely equaliser on 45 and it was game on. St K went 2 - 1 up on 52, starting with a Falmouth corner that was cleared, the ball was swept upfield and ended up in the Falmouth net. They equalised again via a pen, half-saved but creeping in, on 65 only for another pen two minutes later putting St K in the lead again. On 76 Falmouth had a pen but the lad hit a post and it was cleared. St K had the ball in the net on 82 but it was ruled out for offside but they got their 4th on 86, a right wing cross headed in at the far post. A not-undeserved win based on the balance of play.

Lockhart Cup Final for Div 2 - New Inn Titans 3, Falmouth United 3 aet: Falmouth won 4 - 3 on pens.

This was an altogether more entertaining match, the muscular approach of the Titans vs the skill and artistry of a considerably lighter weight Falmouth United. A fascinating contrast of styles which to any neutral observer, and there were quite a few of us, provided a greatly entertaining watch. Falmouth went ahead as early as the 3rd minute, a long cross from the right driven home. Titans drew level on 9, a splendid 30 yard drive. Titans went ahead on 41, the 'keeper out of his box beaten by a high, slow lob from way out that dropped into the empty net. "Men against boys", said one of the Falmouth coaching team to me during half-time. Falmouth made it 2 - 2 from the penalty spot on 50, I don't know what the offence was nor did anyone around me. The game had begun at 100mph and so it continued throughout the 2nd half. Falmouth wasted a chance of taking the lead on 84 when a lad, having broken through the middle, dwelt too long on the ball and was dispossessed by a timely tackle. On 86 a Titans header off a FK from the right hit the bar and 2 minutes later Falmouth survived a goalmouth scramble, clearing desperately from their goal-line. Normal time was eventually blown with my stop watch showing 57 minutes for the 2nd half!

In the 4th minute of extra time Falmouth hit the bar then on 111 Falmouth failed to clear properly and Titans got another goal from outside the box. Titans looked unlikely to give up this lead without a fight. (Not literally!) In the 10th minute of ET 2nd half Titans headed a goal-bound shot off the line but could do nothing about the 118th minute equaliser by Falmouth, a move down the right turned in from not-too-far out. The crowd went wild, as they say. And so to pens, the Falmouth 'keeper making himself a hero by saving the 3rd and 5th of the Titans pens. Falmouth's nominated 5th penalty-taker was spared the stress of the occasion.

I was totally impressed by the skill and tactics of the young Falmouth side. I think some of the Titans players had tattoos older than some of the Falmouth players! They shouldn't complain about the result, really, because the Falmouth side played some beautiful, skillful football, clearly well-coached in both skills and tactics by an obviously capable coaching team - two of which are apparently going to Mousehole's football set-up next season. Some of their really young players were there as mascots on the day and displayed impressive skills during their impromptu session between the two finals, a credit to their coaches.

A great afternoon's football but I had too many hot chocolates - 4!