Cornwall Football Forum

Your First Football Supporting Memory

To brighten the mood on here a bit, I'm interested in what people's first encounter with football was. Not necessarily playing an organised game, a kick around with your Dad or even attending a match, but the first time you were aware of the game.

Mine was when I was in second year at infants school, would have been six, saw other boys with school bags carrying names of football teams. Mentioned this to my Gran, who a few days later came around with a new school bag for me carrying the logo and name "Coventry City." No idea why she chose this, and how she got of hold of such a piece of merchandise in the Looe of 1974. 

12 hours ago, Keith B said:

Ever since you posted this item WOTP  I've been scratching my head for an answer. Closer to 80 years of age than 70 now, it was a long time ago to remember.  I remember each of the schools I attended from infants, through junior school to secondary modern, each school was very sport orientated. Yes even infants. 

We played football every playtime. Were encouraged in all sport by the staff that were very keen. I played for my house at secondary school, got noticed and made the senior school team during my last two years. Great secondary modern school - we had massive playing fields which included soccer (two pitches), rugby, cricket, athletics, hockey and we had our own indoor swimming pool too. We were very fortunate. 

Farther was a keen footballer and cricketer. I watched my first live professional game with dad at AFC Bournemouth, which in those days was called Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic and they played at Dean Court. Bournemouth played in the old Division 3 South in those days.

I've loved football ever since and appreciate the schools and staff, who encouraged us to take an interest in, and to play a sport. I still support AFC Bournemouth today. 

Great read Keith,

The head of games at my school (Liskeard Comprehensive) was no fan of football, as rugby and athletics were his passions. Being a very tall child, and not necessarily quick across rthe ground and not a great ball handler, I was stuck in the scrum immediately as either a flanker or number 8. This miserable experience embedded my dislike of rugby union (which I still maintain to this day), and being the natural born contrarite that I am (this applies to all areas of my life, specifically music, politics,film and underdogs in general), decided that I would develop a deep love of football to counter act this. The more obscure the football the better, hence my love of the non league game.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Anything in particular about it GEACH ?

England vs Scotland and gazza goal, 

The game vs Holland 

The penalty miss ,

I was 10 years old I remember sitting down watching the games with my dad.

Also through the 90s I used to go with my dad and uncle every weekend to watch falmouth town home and away,  remember going to Worcester,  wimborne,  and some other long away places . 

Also remember town playing belper in a cup match at bickland amongst other great games.

I got a picture of me and I think its andy street from the 90s holding the senior cup which falmouth won.  

Wednesday 14th March 1973.

I was 12yrs old & my Dad took me to Home Park, the home of Plymouth Argyle. Nothing great in that you may say, however, Argyles opponents that night were the famous Santos of Brazil club, whose star player that night was the greatest footballer to play the game, the legendary Pele. I was fortunate enough to be 1 of 38.000 people inside that ground & was even more fortunate to have a seat on the running track pitch side. Argyle won 3-2 with Pele scoring a penalty for Santos. Proud to say I saw a real legend that night.

2 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Wednesday 14th March 1973.

I was 12yrs old & my Dad took me to Home Park, the home of Plymouth Argyle. Nothing great in that you may say, however, Argyles opponents that night were the famous Santos of Brazil club, whose star player that night was the greatest footballer to play the game, the legendary Pele. I was fortunate enough to be 1 of 38.000 people inside that ground & was even more fortunate to have a seat on the running track pitch side. Argyle won 3-2 with Pele scoring a penalty for Santos. Proud to say I saw a real legend that night.

And I was there as well...a bit older than twelve though.

I was also lucky enough to see Malcolm MacDonald make his Newcastle debut on August 21st 1971 at the magnificent St James Park against a Liverpool team comprising Ray Clemence, Emlyn Hughes, Tommy Smith, John Toshack & Kevin Keegan.

Super MAC scored a hat trick & then got carried off after loosing 4 teeth in collision with Ray Clemence in a 3-2 win. A fantastic day in a fantastic old ground with the 2nd best supporters in the world. 2nd only to Leeds United supporters of course. MOT 🤍🤍🤍

Mine has got to be my 1st ever football match in 1962 i watched my dad took me to see Plymouth Argeyle Reserves play Spurs reserves nothing special there but my dads hero was playing back in this country Jimmy Greaves 1st game on British Soil after reurning to this country from Italy ,from that day i was hooked being a season ticket holder at  Plymouthfor 40 years going home and away matches and going up in midweek to watch the Combination matches and 1 of those sticks in my mind Plymouth where losing 5-0 to Crystal Palace Clive Allen had scored 4 but non of those goals counted because the match was abandoned  when heavy fog came in .My fav match was when i met my hero George Best when Fulham played at Home Park  it was great watching my hero and getting his autograph .I do miss going Plyouth to watch them but many years ago a steward took my camera and ripped the film out and that was it i havnt been to Home Park since but i still have my memories .Now i got my local football  to watch and i love it and met some lovely people

2 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Spurs Bakes. Lol. They just got the leftovers from Arsenal & Chelsea. Since they moved into that lovely new stadium, they had more weddings there than wins. 🤣😂🤣

Love it...LMFAO 

Keep taking them pills and Leeds may get better...lol.

Ran into half the Leeds squad in Falmouth once, Norman Hunter was a big mean ugly bar steward! 

We thought they may have joined in our kick around...I would have kicked his arse for sure...lol