Cornwall Football Forum

How can we get better gates?

Guest john

The South West Peninsula league Premier league average attendance is 100 per game. Bodmin, 127, Falmouth, 129, Parkway, 222, Saltash, 154, Dartmouth, 59, Torpoint, 93, Blazey,143.

Is there anything clubs can be doing to get better attendances?

I know Falmouth in the 90s had about 350 average. (dont quote me on that) Have that breed of supporters from that era moved on. i.e got married!!!!

Is there anything clubs can do to get a new breed of supporters through the gates? Should clubs be targeting the younger generation?

I watched the Bodmin v Falmouth game on Saturday. There was an attendance of 100- 150 estimate. there were two excellant footballing teams on display. Surely this standard would warrant a crowd of 250-300+?

If Teams like Parkway, Falmouth or Bodmin ever went Western league would they be getting attendances like what Truro are getting now 300-500+

High profiling is one way to get the supporters back - ie clubs visiting schools, helping out the community also better media coverage, merchandising making people feel that they want to come and watch the teams and be part of the club. I do not know and only those who have watch the senior level for many years can answer this question.

Has the the standard of football within the senior levels dipped or has it improved?

If it has dipped and is not as good in past years then making sure that the standard is decent and entertaining is certainly one way of bringing supporters in. The biggest problem in the county is the amount of other teams playing on a Saturday, which would certainly hinder attendances at the higher level.

Another attraction for supporters is the facilities a club can offer. Those clubs who need to update and improve their facilities are in a catch 22 postion. To improve facilities you need investment, however, if the gates are low then it is hard to have the investment, unless of course you have a sugar daddy.

Whether we like it or not, times have changed. Many supporters have given up perhaps because they watched the same teams and players for the past 50 odd years or so. There are also so many other distractions. Wives/DIY/TV and so on which you didn't have 20 years ago. A lot of the old stalwarts have gone from clubs, newcomers come in and perhaps have put self importance in front of their clubs.

At SWPL or ECPL/Combo level gates are not what they used to be. Success will always bring in fans that is obvious, but we can't all be successful at the same time. There was a time when a local team had mainly local players so family and friends tended to watch their team. Clubs especially at the higher level chnage personel in numbers every year.

There is only so much you can do to promote the football club so you have to rely on the local press and local radio. If you look at the Cornishman/West Briton/Cornish Guardian and Cornish Times, not forgetting the Sunday Indpendent football gets a pretty good coverage. BBC Radio Cornwall cant quite make up its mind what it wants to be. Dave Deacon has dragged it screaming and kicking into the 21st century but as we know it still has along way to go as far as football is concerned, but you never had this standard before. BBC Radio Devon is all about Plymouth Argyle/Torquay United and Exeter City. Local football is not covered so much.

Clubs have gained chartered status with numerous junior and youth sides attached but that still does not mean the club will be supported. As I said at the top football has changed and so has people. Every time you see a goal you are looking for an instant replay. Likewise with skill we look at players and say, they aren't very good I can assure you they are but we must not confuse these players with the Rinaldo's and the Rooneys of the world they are not.

Now I have got the negatives out the way what can we do to get fans coming through the gates. I have mentioned the media but there is another part of the media which could have a very small impact and that is the freebie newspapers. Can not a member from a club get involved with the local freebie newspaper and get in some written work every week. You wont get paid but you will be able to give them free information.

What about a free admission day (I am not sure how this would work) but if the lcoal paper is given the 'story' then they may go along with it and the club might, just might recruit some new fans.

Having someone go around the local shops etc with the clubs fixtures, either on a weekly/monthly or season. You rarely see anyone going around the ground selling the 50/50 ticket they will stand by the entrance but could they get another few quid in if they went and asked a fan to buy a ticket. In fact how many go into the bar area to sell the tickets before the match. It may be small peanuts but enything is better than nothing.

Luffy said 'High profiling is one way to get the supporters back - ie clubs visiting schools, helping out the community also better media coverage, merchandising making people feel that they want to come and watch the teams and be part of the club'. Unfortunately the clubs at this level would be unable to visit schools, although saying that there are numerous players in the county heavily involved in coaching. media coverage I have covered although merchandising means paying out for something to sell. Can clubs afford it.

Lets be fair you only have to look at Argyle. If they play a 'named club' at Home Park then the fans will turn up, but if what used to be a lowly club arrives the fans stay away and yet they don't look at how good a side is but only its name. That makes us fickle.

Football at our level is highly unlikely to increase its fan base unless it either is very succesful or a sugar daddy comes along who can buy success aka Truro City.

Put it this way if Plymouth Argyle were in the Premier Division it would take a few more fans away from local football. Likewise Truro City. They are averaging 300/400 or so when it used to be 50. They must be coming from somewhere. Is it from local clubs. One clubs success could be another clubs death warrent.

My view is that clubs need the help of the media and espeically radio. Only clubs in the East of Cornwall have the advantage of a daily newspaper in the Plymouth Herald. Although the Western Morning news is a daily and they do give small coverage in midweek to SWPL clubs but not the leagues below. The Sunday Indpendent gives you instant results and reports the very next day. People come on here to critisize it but where else can you read about your club on a sunday.

I think radio tends to miss out on sport in the midweek. Are clubs giving the radio stations info on a regular basis with regular updates. I think they should have a little more sport in mid week and yes that does includes other sports but you can only ask. Radio stations seem to think that sport is only played on a saturday but I'm sure if clubs send things in about themsleves then I'm sure they would eventually put it out over the airwaves. A new player signing on, a player transferred, a player returning from injury etc. etc. Drip feeding may take time but unless you get off your bums and tell them then how are they to know what is happening at your club.

A load of old waffle but hopefully within it there is something you can do to help yopursleves.

ECPL - Hit the nail on the head with what you said. Only one way that you may attract more people is if the odd game was played on a sunday, if you had it on a sunday when the pirates were not playing. It would be interesting to see if the crowds would increase. Say moving a local derby from Saturday to Sunday, those who play on Sat may go along, and those looking to do something on sunday instead of shopping also may give it a go. Just a thought!!!

For top gates outside of Boxing Day/Good Friday I like the idea of Friday night football

Examples this season

Cullompton Rangers v Witheridge Att. 308 (Cullompton average 100)

Plymouth Parkway v Launceston Att.237

Bodmin Town v St.Blazey Att.272 (Bodmin average127)

Plymouth Parkway v Ivybridge Town Att.312 (Plymouth P/W average 222)

and a cup game I saw at Penlee Park also on a Friday

Penzance v St.Blazey Att.279 (Penzance average 95)

If any clubs declared at the beginning of the season they would consider a Friday night fixture Home/Away then there would be no problem in the fixture sec.arranging one Home fixture for the agreed clubs (between each other)

I really support the idea of a friday night game.

Playing in two myself this year it was quality playing with a bigger crowd watching.

It also allowed myself on saturaday to go and watch games elsewhere.

A few more fixtured friday games would be nice.

One other thing i have wondered is the lack of mid week games in the Div 1 W & E. I know some teams struggle with lights, but i have not seem one on the site for a while?

John,

yes the gates have droped, all I can say with regards to Falmouth is, Ground facilities, just have a look one day,

& being a Town suporter for many years It is quite upseting to see what has happened, I am hoping that things will get better, because Postie pidge is a good Sec for Town, & he is working hard to get it sorted out,

until it is I fear that the Town suport will continue to drop.

Hammers :blink::(:c: :c:

Guest plainmoor

High profiling is one way to get the supporters back - ie clubs visiting schools, helping out the community also better media coverage, merchandising making people feel that they want to come and watch the teams and be part of the club. I do not know and only those who have watch the senior level for many years can answer this question.

There is only so much you can do to promote the football club so you have to rely on the local press and local radio. If you look at the Cornishman/West Briton/Cornish Guardian and Cornish Times, not forgetting the Sunday Indpendent football gets a pretty good coverage. BBC Radio Cornwall cant quite make up its mind what it wants to be. Dave Deacon has dragged it screaming and kicking into the 21st century but as we know it still has along way to go as far as football is concerned, but you never had this standard before.

Now I have got the negatives out the way what can we do to get fans coming through the gates.

My view is that clubs need the help of the media and espeically radio. Only clubs in the East of Cornwall have the advantage of a daily newspaper in the Plymouth Herald. Although the Western Morning news is a daily and they do give small coverage in midweek to SWPL clubs but not the leagues below. The Sunday Indpendent gives you instant results and reports the very next day. People come on here to critisize it but where else can you read about your club on a sunday.

I think radio tends to miss out on sport in the midweek. Are clubs giving the radio stations info on a regular basis with regular updates. I think they should have a little more sport in mid week and yes that does includes other sports but you can only ask. Radio stations seem to think that sport is only played on a saturday but I'm sure if clubs send things in about themsleves then I'm sure they would eventually put it out over the airwaves. A new player signing on, a player transferred, a player returning from injury etc. etc. Drip feeding may take time but unless you get off your bums and tell them then how are they to know what is happening at your club.

The current sports presenter is killing football coverage on a saturday and she knows it, she will do anything to enhance her career (god knows why, she's awful as far as football is concerned) she has already peed of a couple of match reporters, they are now plying their part time trade at another radio station, how many more will the station lose in the near future???

as far as coverage is concerned, it is half down to the clubs to contact the radio stations concerned and ask them to include their match on the daily sports round up.

On the subject of mid week sports buletins, I heard one on a monday or tuesday a couple of weeks ago, not a mention about any football played it was all about rugby, rugby and more rugby, so is it any wonder that clubs do not get the extra on the gates if there is no mention of football during the week?

Emma Vardy is the worst thing that has happened to football in cornwall and it looks like she is here to stay until that new post higher up the ladder is available.

Another point is that bbc cornwall only covers about 3 games on a saturday, 1 being truro and usually a top team or 2 from the swpl, this is not good enough, as already mentioned 2 reporters have already been given their marching orders for the detriment of our sport, isn't it time the sports presenter was also given hers???

End of the day it's up to the clubs to promote their own matches because they will get no help from the media out there and as for Dave Deacon, well he's flogging a dead horse all that hard good work has been undone by one veryselfish career orientated step on anyone while I get to the top Emma Vardy.

<_< The top 'professional' teams because of the advent of football on TV over the past few years, play on many different days, mainly Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Reason, to catch the armchair viewer and make more money from the tv rights etc. The local leagues have insisted that 'we are a Saturday league', why, time has moved on and if the majority gates happen on a Friday or indeed any other day, then play them then. This would benefit the clubs, players who still play Saturday's including club officials. I am only suggesting that some more games should be played then, not a complete removal - but at the end of the day clubs have to move to where the money is. <_<

Guest Postie Pidge

Falmouth played Brislington in the FA Vase in the 1999/2000 season at a 5pm kick off (to avoid a clash with the England-Scotland Euro 2000 qualifier) and I think the attendance was good. The atmosphere was also better in my opinion and Falmouth overwhelmed the Western Premier team 7-2 with Luke Hodge and Andy Morris both netting hat tricks. I'd be able to make more games at that time!

There is only so much you can do to promote the football club so you have to rely on the local press and local radio. If you look at the Cornishman/West Briton/Cornish Guardian and Cornish Times, not forgetting the Sunday Indpendent football gets a pretty good coverage. BBC Radio Cornwall cant quite make up its mind what it wants to be. Dave Deacon has dragged it screaming and kicking into the 21st century but as we know it still has along way to go as far as football is concerned, but you never had this standard before. BBC Radio Devon is all about Plymouth Argyle/Torquay United and Exeter City. Local football is not covered so much.

Trouble is, football will be getting - IS getting - LESS coverage on local radio now. I firmly believe that this is policy from on high. The fantastic coverage it used to get with even Junior results being given, going back to David White's time as Sports Presenter on Radio Cornwall, is not considered suitable any more. The national aim is to increase audiences and it appears that this means concentrating on the area's top games nationally speaking, which in Cornwall means rugby.