Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday Independent ceases trading as of today!

Just had an email advising me that the Sunday Independent is to cease trading immediately!

"...........some bad news to you as soon as possible.

Sadly, the decision has been made to stop trading the Sunday Independent as of today - so there are no more shifts available or contributions required (unless something totally unforeseen happens in the next day or so)."

The paper has been trading well in the past year following the owner's death last year , however that didn't help plans fir the future ......

".........our proposals for further investment and growth and, to date, it has not been possible to find some new investors, or someone with the necessary financial TLC, to continue."

"The ‘sale’ of the company is being handled by Francis Clarke, of Exeter, and our contact was Stephen Hobson on Exeter (01392) 667 000 in case anyone knows of someone who can ride to our rescue!"

I predict that the Western Morning News and the Cornish Guardian will soon follow. They seem to have lost their way.

I think last week, the Guardian had one sentence about the St. Austell v Torpoint game. No pictures and hardly any news about the St.Austell area.

Long live the St. Austell Voice, a lot cheaper too.

The Cornish Guardian recently stopped using all us freelance sports photographers amid another round of 'budget cuts'!

Having photographed sports in North Cornwall for many years they are now only using their staff photographers whether or not they have any interest in sport!

Can't see any change for the better coming along!

Just stopped my £1 cheque for last weeks spot the ball. Was so sure I had the right spot to put my x's. Over on the far left around the player in blue. Funny, he must have been stood in the shade. His shirt looked much darker than the others and for some reason he appeared to have dark shorts on and no number on his back.

Real shame it's ceased publishing

It seems to be the sign of the times.  Everything is now on twitter and facebook.  It is sometimes hard work in getting up to 13 match reports in just 3 hours, and it must be the same for the SWPL and the Devon league as well as lesser leagues such as the Duchy and Trelawney leagues.  As Kevin Marriott said.'  You don't know what you are missing until it is gone.'   

And the West Briton? Unless you are a Pirates fan, Truro fan or even an Argyle fan who doesn't buy a national paper the sport pages have become rubbish. Local clubs in my area are lucky to have a few lines. I've noticed they've even started reporting on north Cornwall / Plymouth area junior games, presumably to fill the gaps of local football.