Cornwall Football Forum

BOXING DAY FIXTURES

Guest Peppermint

Guest Peppermint

Having just looked at the fixture list for Newquay in the CSWPL it is noticeable that the Club has no fixture on Boxing Day this season. This is traditionally a match where the biggest gate of the year is present and the Clubhouse can expect to generate some good income.

The Combination League team also have no fixture and I for one and others I have spoken to are very disappointed. Last season the fixture was at Goonhavern and close enough for supporters to return to the Clubhouse at Mount Wise.

Guest Peppermint

Mike - I will mention it when I am at the Club on Thursday in case the club is interested. I know Jim Hilton the Assistant Manager is often logged onto the Forum so he might well see it.

That would really spoil The Judge's Christmas having to visit Bickland Park on Boxing Day!!!!! Seriously I feel it is a shame for all those clubs who have no fixture on Boxing Day it is always been traditional and some people who come on Boxing Day maybe tempted to go to other matches in the season.

Next year the Combo League will enter it's 50th season.

3 teams have been in every season - Newquay Reserves, Penzance Reserves and St Just.

This means (if St Just aren't promoted) that sometime next year that these teams will play their 99th and 100th league games against each other.

As the League Committee only meet a few times a year to sort out problems, applications, cup draws, etc it is time for the 3 teams to make proposals to the leasgue to "make a fuss" about next season.

The teams can put it to the league to arrange that the 100th games are say at Christmas, New Year and Easter when they can get big crowds to the matches. In other words the 99th meetings are sorted out at the beginning of the season. Also the clubs can sort out special sponsorship, match programmes, etc before the season starts. Also past players, league officials can be invited in advance to attend. Local press can be arranged, etc.

How about someone writing a brief history of the league for a booklet to be sold at league grounds.

It seems a long way away but time to start planning now instead of leaving it to the beginning of next season when the fixtures come out.

I posted this ages ago. I could sort out on Boxing Day game for the Reserves next year if your committee could talk to Pz's committee. They could play the 100th game then.

Cheers Chairman. Silly me of course, of course, a tradition I took for granted now gone. In a way that is a little sad, being a Bodmin lad playing for Bodmin against Wadebridge on Boxing Day and at Easter used to be great, knowing so many Wadebridge players and all that, bleddy tradition! Am sure it is no big loss for non-local players but I expect the Wadebridge lads miss it as well.

Maybe worth the journey to give Philpy and Hodgy some touchline grief! Here's hoping that Wadebridge do get promoted and the the Festive fixture is duly restored.

Guest Peppermint

Some interesting comments but it is a shame that Boxing Day fixtures were not done when the original list was compiled. Local derby matches surely could have been arranged for that day. The old CSWL seemed to manage it without any problem. Another tradition bites the dust for a lot of football followers.

HarryPWH states he could go and give Philpy and Hodgy grief - does he mean John Hodge because he is at Newquay now and not St Blazey and has Newquay have no game on that day John will be uninvolved.

CTB - perhaps John Mead and someone from Newquay will get together re the fixture next season.

Oh well I will have to go and watch the Blazey game or stay at home with the in laws!!!

I agree entirely that all the SWPL clubs should be playing on Boxing Day. Am I right in saying this was discussed at length some considerable time ago. If I am right clubs had to reply to the SWPL if they wanted Boxing Day fixtures. This would suggest they did not want to. It is such a shame.

Its different in the ECPL because their opinion is 'you cant force people to play on that day'. But it does not stop teams from arranging matches if they want to.

ECPL you are wrong,we at Torpoint really wanted to play on boxing day but were given no fixture.

We thought we would play either Parkway or Elburton as requested .

The obvious choice was Ivy v Elburton and Parkway vTorpoint but for some reason Its considered that Dartmouth is quite local to Ivybridge and that is their fixture with Parkway playing Elburton .

We are not happy with this as Torpoint is a small club and will lose a lot of revenue.

Guest plainmoor

That's because the league is run from devon by devon people and the facilities we have here at the devon clubs is not as good as cornwalls, so it's our turn to get a bit of money so we can improve the stadia and compete with our more affluent friends. :clapper:

Not the best of replies plainmoor.

You have to feel sorry for Torpoint as their Boxing Day match was always against Millbrrok. When Millbrook had an ECPL side the fixtures used to alternate so that you were at home in a SWL match one year and home in an ECPL one the followng. Terrific money making matches. Unfortunately with the two teams in different divisions and Millbrook not having an ECPL side anymore it would be difficult to arrange another fixture.

Again it is something that should be discussed at length with the league. I can see your point Gary, Parkway v Torpoint and vice versa would be terrific crowd pullers. I wonder if the heirarchy actually understand what appeal there is in Boxing day matches in Cornwall.

Again clubs should be making note of these concerns and raise them as early as possible.

Scheduled Boxing Day fixtures for SWPL

Wednesday 26th December

Premier Division

Buckland Athletic v Newton Abbot Spurs (11.30)

Clyst Rovers v Cullompton Rangers (11.00)

Elburton Villa v Plymouth Parkway (11.00)

Ivybridge Town v Dartmouth (11.00)

Launceston v Tavistock (2.00)

Saltash United v Liskeard Athletic (2.45)

St Blazey v Bodmin Town (11.00)

Division One West

Camelford v Wadebridge Town (11.00)

Millbrook v Vospers Oak Villa (11.00)

Porthleven v Penzance (1.30)

Note :- there is nothing scheduled for Division One East!

Some interesting comments but it is a shame that Boxing Day fixtures were not done when the original list was compiled. Local derby matches surely could have been arranged for that day. The old CSWL seemed to manage it without any problem. Another tradition bites the dust for a lot of football followers.

HarryPWH states he could go and give Philpy and Hodgy grief - does he mean John Hodge because he is at Newquay now and not St Blazey and has Newquay have no game on that day John will be uninvolved.

CTB - perhaps John Mead and someone from Newquay will get together re the fixture next season.

Oh well I will have to go and watch the Blazey game or stay at home with the in laws!!!

Nah think you will find theat there is a Hodge that plays for one of the teams playing at St Blazey that day. :o

Guest Peppermint

Yes HarryPWH I know Luke Hodge is at Bodmin but will he be in the starting X1!

As you put Philpy and Hodgy together then I assume you meant John who was at St Blazey before coming to Newquay. Enjoy the game - as Newquay have no game then I will be attending as well.