Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell offer cheap admission

As reported on he CSWPL website,  St Austell  will charge £1 Adult entry and Under 16’s free admission for the match – St Austell v Camelford – On Wednesday 29th April, 7.30pm kick off with the takings going to the local hospice.

Some might say guilty conscience but whatever, it's a nice gesture!

"Guilty Conscience"?????

Quite a lot of non league clubs around the country have similar "charity matches" or "pay what you want" entry once a season as a thank you to their fans and also to help a local charity.

I think it's a damn good idea and well done to the club. It's a nice gesture to loyal supporters, a lot of whom have spent huge amounts this season travelling the country and turning up in big numbers at all away games. It's been a wonderful season so far, with hopefully more to come, and this should also raise a good few £s to add to the money the Hospice raised doing the collection at the recent Vase match.

Be as cynical as you like but AFC St.Austell is involved in the local community and that's a very good thing.

It might seem that the timing, just after the ground failed the Western League inspection. I said some might say, I think it's a nice touch. I think possibly only Camelford and Royal Marines have asked for a reduced admission price to my knowledge so that money can be donated to charity. It's a shame that other teams don't take a leaf out of their book.

It might seem that the timing, just after the ground failed the Western League inspection. I said some might say, I think it's a nice touch. I think possibly only Camelford and Royal Marines have asked for a reduced admission price to my knowledge so that money can be donated to charity. It's a shame that other teams don't take a leaf out of their book.

​Who exactly are these "some might say"? :ninja:

The 'some' who are suspicious about St Austell's motives about not carrying out the groundwork and losing out on promotion on a technicality instead of 'bottling it'.

Certainly an example to us all. Perhaps the league could make a charity day at the end of the season advisory if not mandatory. There's no shortage of worthy causes out there! While I'm unable to make it to this particular match, it just might encourage me to put my hand in my pocket next time I have an opportunity. Come on all you other Clubs, give me one!