Cornwall Football Forum

West Ham v Plymouth Argle

Paul

I would loved to have been able to go, but one, I have another meeting on that day & two,

My Brother's Wife is seriously ill in Hospital & not expected to pull through, so I am really tied up,

Maybe after yesterday's performance West Ham can come up with the goods & beat Plymouth,

Hammers :c: :c:

I would loved to have been able to go, but one, I have another meeting on that day & two,

My Brother's Wife is seriously ill in Hospital & not expected to pull through, so I am really tied up,

Maybe after yesterday's performance West Ham can come up with the goods & beat Plymouth,

Hammers :c::c:

F#@k the footy hammers, that will always be there. Some things are much more important mate, spend the time with your brother and your sister in law and be the rock that your brother undoubtably needs at what must be an horrific time for him right now. Although it means absolutely nothing to you personally and makes no difference whatsoever, My thoughts and best wishes are sent to you and your family at this horrible time. Good luck buddy. :c:

Quite right Coopsie. Sometimes footy is not important when you hear things like that.

St Darren, I to had hoped to do what your doing. I could have as im on holiday but ive got alot on this week so im giving it a miss.

Lets hope Argyle give it a good shot on wednesday. Dont think well win, but seeing as West Ham play Arsenal on saturday, they may rest a few players and give us a chance!

No need for thanks Hammers, family comes first and it sound's like Carol (hope you don't mind me using her name) is one hell of a fighter. The mighty Irons will do a job for you tonight mate and you just concentrate on the important things going on in your life at the moment. By the way, I'm not saying that West Ham aren't important.

All the best buddy. :c:

For Hammers coz he couldn't make it :drink::thumbsup:

Dean Ashton smashed home on the volley in stoppage time to snatch a dramatic victory for West Ham to see them into the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

It was cruel luck on Plymouth, who had fought hard throughout and brought much frustration from the home supporters.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake had a shot blocked for Argyle, while Lucas Neill cleared Barry Hayles' effort off the line.

The hosts had chances too, Luis Boa Morte firing wide and James Collins going close, before Ashton's fine goal.

It ensured the Hammers continue in a competition Alan Curbishley has publicly targeted a trophy from.

But Plymouth will be cursing their luck after a valiant effort that almost got off to a fine start when Danny Gabbidon's back-pass dropped short with Ebanks-Blake bearing down on goal, stand-in goalkeeper Richard Wright doing well to clear.

The Hammers should have been ahead minutes later, Peter Halmosi clearing Collins's header off the line and Ashton turning and firing narrowly wide from 20 yards.

It was left to Boa Morte to miss the chance of the half, though, the winger playing a one-two with Hayden Mullins only to clip wide when through.

With the home fans increasingly unsettled, Argyle grew in confidence and Neill had to be alert to chest Halmosi's free-kick away late in the first half.

And, after Carlton Cole's exit had been roundly cheered by the Hammers fans - the striker had earlier dallied when clear on goal - Ebanks-Blake almost snatched the lead for Plymouth only for George McCartney to block well.

There was still time for the striker to see another fine shot brilliantly cleared off the line by Neill, while Lee Bowyer headed wide from three yards at the other end.

But, with the match seemingly destined for extra-time, Ashton popped up with a brilliant volley to snatch the win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham: Wright, Neill, Collins, Gabbidon, McCartney, Ljungberg (Bowyer 74), Parker (Noble 88), Mullins, Boa Morte, Ashton, Cole (Reid 63).

Subs Not Used: Green, Spector.

Booked: Gabbidon, Boa Morte.

Goals: Ashton 90.

Plymouth: McCormick, Connolly, Seip, Timar, Sawyer (Chadwick 90), Norris, Nalis, Buzsaky, Halmosi, Ebanks-Blake (Fallon 87), Hayles.

Subs Not Used: Doumbe, Hodges, Gosling.

Booked: Timar.

Att: 25,774.

Ref: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire

Guest Cornishdave1980

Well done to the Pilgrims! put up a valiant effort holding an inform Premiership team and we didn't embarrasse ourselfs like some Premeiership teams.

If only Ian Holloway could get that defence playing like that week in week out. Oh well we keep living the dream.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree hammers that was a little to close, As you say it is the team that scores the most who wins but on a whole i did hear that Plymouth pushed us all the way and to be fair they are a decent outfit anyway.

Well done the pilgrims for a hard fought battle and all the best for the season :clapper::clapper:

Come on you irons

hammers, hope all is well your end chap :c:

Would you adam and eve it!!! Set off just after 11am. Finally got to the ground at 7.20pm!! Traffic around London was awful. Found a place to park and set off for the ground. Sad to say, but walking to the ground is like being in a third world country!! Its awful. Its good when you reach home when youve seen the sights!!!!! As for the match, not a bad atmosphere, (especially from the travelling 2000)!! Little bit annoyed with the crapy seats we had in the corner, still not a bad view of the action. As for the match, West Ham looked good on the break. They had the best 2 chances of the first half. As the 1st half went on, Argyle came more and more into the match and settled down and knocked the ball round very well. To be honest, defending wise, passing wise and going forward there wasnt much between the sides. But West Ham had a the ability to get in quick shot when Argyle would make 1 to many passes and loose the chance to shoot at goal. But credit to Argyle to stuck at it and fully deserved another half hour. But the little extra quality finally did it when Dean Ashton scored with only his second sniff all night!! Talking to a few West Ham fans afterwards and they were quite impressed with the way Argyle played. Also met St Darren at half time. How he found me, god nos. Good to meet you mate. Afterwards we took the senic route home. We passed the Ritz, Harrods, London eye, Millwasteofmoney dome, Millenium bridge, Nelsons colomn, Big Ben to name a few. Finally got home just after 4am!! We get to do it all again at the end of october when we play Charlton away on a tuesday night...........bring em on!! Good luck to West Ham. :thumbsup:

I work out who people are Paul!!! ha ha, stalked you for years!!

Great Argyle support there and good to be around people more in touch!! also good to see the Plymouth people as well!! strange bunch a lot of them are, thats for sure!!!

nice ground West Ham, shit area thats for sure.

To be fair, I was glad there was no extra time as I didn't fancy trekking the 17 stops to Victoria to get on the train to Sutton, to get to me car to get me to Guildford!!

2 games in two days for me!! ideal way of spending my expenses!!

Like you say, there was one advantage of no extra time, we did make it home before the sun rose!! Dissapointed I didnt make the effort to drive up to Reading on tuesday night now!! Still plenty of away days to come this season. Planned away days for me include, Charlton, Norwich, West Brom, Bristol City and Sheff Utd. Other possibles include Ipswich, Southampton, Wolves and once Ive got a few intrested.......Scunthorpe away on a tuesday night!!! A must for the die hards!!!!