Cornwall Football Forum

Discussion about Falmouth's ground - Sat 6th October 2012

Feel a bit sorry for Mark (as someone said earlier "damned if you do and damned if you don't) and what he has to work with. There are clearly issues with the inadequate drainage at Bickland but it occurs to me that Falmouth might have been better served by spending some of the money blown on a multitude of mercenaries over the years on their drainage instead. Obviously with Town looking to flog Bickland and move elsewhere there isn't going to be anything spent on pitch improvements, even if funds were available.

Feel a bit sorry for Mark (as someone said earlier "damned if you do and damned if you don't) and what he has to work with. There are clearly issues with the inadequate drainage at Bickland but it occurs to me that Falmouth might have been better served by spending some of the money blown on a multitude of mercenaries over the years on their drainage instead. Obviously with Town looking to flog Bickland and move elsewhere there isn't going to be anything spent on pitch improvements, even if funds were available.

It actually only takes two three affordable things to improve most pitches, but clubs ain't interested.

What on earth is wrong with some people, it looks like Falmouth behaved in a correct and responsible manner, they called in a local experienced official who on inspecting the pitch deemed it unplayable and with the weather forecast as it was the game was postponed. There can be no arguments about them not following procedures so should be fined etc, they have acted correctly so why all the silly posts.

What on earth is wrong with some people, it looks like Falmouth behaved in a correct and responsible manner, they called in a local experienced official who on inspecting the pitch deemed it unplayable and with the weather forecast as it was the game was postponed. There can be no arguments about them not following procedures so should be fined etc, they have acted correctly so why all the silly posts.

UMMMMM! because they keep doing it on a Friday, Simples.

I'm not sure what the main issue has turned out to be on this post, but I know Mark Jones will have tried his damndest to get saturday's and tuesday's game on. He is fighting a battle with Bickland that would break the heart of most volunteer groundsmen. Not one groundsperson I know, would not want to play every time a game is fixtured. We curse and swear about the abuse our pitches get, but it's part of our make up to go out there and recover it for the next fixture. Our main problems are Coaches, Managers and Players probably in that order, the weather we can't control but with a bit of effort and good practice we can mitigate most of the problems the met office can throw at us. But we must have the tools to do this, and most clubs haven't the kit or the money to spend on good drainage systems. This summer has been particularly difficult, we have the water, but too much. All the nutrients I have put into the pitches has washed out, the grass has grown, but there has been insufficient sunshine to give it its neccessary sugars and strength to overwinter, I've had seed rot in the ground before it has germinated. I've overseeded and fed the grass recently, but it's all money off the bottom line, so something else has to suffer. So please don't blame the likes of Mark, for not seeing or playing your game at the right time he will be just as gutted as you. In the meantime next time we get a downpour nip along and see if you can give an hour or two with a fork to help out.

Jeeezzzzz are you all still wittering on?! Firstly Mark Jones knows more about pitch upkeep than the majority of numbskulls on here. If anyone has a grievance it should be directed at the ref of the initial game not the club. Build a bridge...and if you cant get over it, do us all a favour and jump

the 2 marks and greg do a great job on their respective pitches also heard good things about goonhavern's, and ludgvans was like a carpet when we were down their few weeks back, wendrons on sat be nice playing on that again good memories of president jack chuffing up and down on his ride on. all the groundsman do fantastic jobs with what they have to work with so thought i'd just say thankyou x

People are bound to make assumptions and speculate why matches are called off when a situation arises as it did last weekend.

A lovely sunny day (warm for October), game called off for water logged pitch on the afternoon/evening before the match was meant to be played?

Why was the pitch not inspected by the referee on the Saturday, the day the game was meant to be played? I went to have a look at the pitch on the Saturday as I was in the area and it certainly would not have been called off by any legitimate referee if it was inspected that day.

Are there any referee's on here who can inform me of the rules regarding when a pitch should be inspected?

Surely it should be a few hours before the game is played (maybe a few hours more if a team is travelling a distance), as referee's cannot predict what the weather will do in 24 hours nor can they take any weather report to be correct. It could have been sunny on the Friday and lashing down with rain on the Saturday, in this case he would have inspected on the day and called the game off. Why would it be different the other way on?

Cheers and Gone!

The FA's Pitch Inspection Guidelines for Clubs and Referees ---- for those interested! Found here: http://resources.thefa.com/images/ftimages/data/league8715793/10989.pdf

3. In all other circumstances a local Referee should be called in to make a decision. As a general rule decisions as to whether the game is able to go ahead should not be made before mid-day. However, when weather conditions are very poor, and unlikely to improve, a decision may be made on the morning of the game. In the event of no Referee being available to carry out the inspection advice is to be sought from the League Secretary.

The FA's Pitch Inspection Guidelines for Clubs and Referees ---- for those interested! Found here: http://resources.the...15793/10989.pdf

3. In all other circumstances a local Referee should be called in to make a decision. As a general rule decisions as to whether the game is able to go ahead should not be made before mid-day. However, when weather conditions are very poor, and unlikely to improve, a decision may be made on the morning of the game. In the event of no Referee being available to carry out the inspection advice is to be sought from the League Secretary.

Well there you have it, the rule plain and simple.

Hello Suzi Chow. Thats a big statement, your going to embarrass the boy!!. No-one has mentioned Mark other than to sing his praises. You better go and jump off your own bridge now.

theolder*********** You seem to have a lot of say on every issue on this forum, therefore maybe you should carefully read the above post FA Pitch Inspection GUIDELINES not set in stone.

Friday was very wet, there was a weather warning for both Sat + Sun!

Commonsense prevailed.

IF the game had gone ahead on Saturday not only would Tuesdays game been postponed but this Saturdays also as no matter how good a volunteer groundsman is,they would not have been able to work on a pitch that was churned up, with this weeks weather (rain everyday and night) the right decision was made.

Maybe the only solution is to play on a large hill, like those where games were able to go on LOL

The biggest problem faced by a groundsman during inclement weather is that when a pitch inspection is required most referee's are so arrogant they will not seek advice from the groudsman,if a pitch is deemed playable at kick off,the groundsman can tell you how safe it will be after a set period of play.

theolder*********** You seem to have a lot of say on every issue on this forum, therefore maybe you should carefully read the above post FA Pitch Inspection GUIDELINES not set in stone.

Hello topcat. Man of the people who posts what others want to hear !!!

Its called a forum, you know where people post topics and invite comment, hope that clears that up for you.

Nowhere in the guidlines does it mention Friday - does it ???? read again methinks.

Friday was very wet, there was a weather warning for both Sat + Sun!

Commonsense prevailed.

IF the game had gone ahead on Saturday not only would Tuesdays game been postponed but this Saturdays also as no matter how good a volunteer groundsman is,they would not have been able to work on a pitch that was churned up, with this weeks weather (rain everyday and night) the right decision was made.

Maybe the only solution is to play on a large hill, like those where games were able to go on LOL

Last Message for this topic-

Topcat- As I mentioned in the above post, people wouldn't make assumptions or speculate why games are cancelled or postponed if the FA Guildlines are adhered to. Referee's, groundsmen or club representatives cannot use weather reports or predictions to judge whether a match should go ahead or not, as these are never 100% accurate. The met office's target for correctly predicting rain on an hourly basis is 60%.The guildlines are in place to rule out altercations such as this situation. It clearly states:

"As a general rule decisions as to whether the game is able to go ahead should not be made before mid-day. However, when weather conditions are very poor, and unlikely to improve, a decision may be made on the morning of the game."

Maybe referee's and football clubs can learn from this situation and hopefully use these guildlines in the future when considering when and how a pitch inspection should be completed.

Cheers and Gone!

James R I can see where you are coming from but these are guidelines and not set in stone.( When you drive down the road and it says 30mph that is a guideline it doesnt mean that you have to do 30mph when you feel 25mph is sufficent)

Topcat to confirm the 30mph sign is a legal limit not a guideline, it outlines the maximum legal speed limit someone can travel on that road. But yes I do understand the FA guidelines are only a guide, but these are created for a reason.

James R I can see where you are coming from but these are guidelines and not set in stone.( When you drive down the road and it says 30mph that is a guideline it doesnt mean that you have to do 30mph when you feel 25mph is sufficent)

Thats the daftest thing I've read on here. jesus that made me laugh, camel/straw/drowning man or what, still laughing.

Supporting the right of Suzie Chow to have her say without comments asking her to jump off a bridge can I say another anagram of those initials is GOBI TWIT.

Hello Bozz

zz

zz - sorry nearly dozed of then with that sharp wit of yours. If you read post 59 I think you will Find Suzi invited us all to go jump off a bridge !!!! I merely invited her to do one and the same.

Keep it coming - luvvvvin it - ho ho ho !!!!