Cornwall Football Forum

Automatic promotion?

Had an in depth discussion with another supporter recently and the subject of automatic promotion from the Carlsberg South West Premier League came up.

I have always felt it unfair to "force " clubs into "climbing" the football pyramid. I do not want to see clubs go out of business through promotion.

However, if a club such as Bodmin Town or whoever win the league by having a considerable players budget, why are they unable/unwilling to accept promotion?

To put it simply, why the wish to remain a "big fish", in a "small pool".

Without doubt, Bodmin Town have an extremly strong squad and but for Buckland Athletic, they would have won even more titles in recent seasons.

Do we really wish to bring this up on the forum again ?. It's the same conversation and same replys every season.

Shouldn't this situation be addressed?

What if Southampton told the Football Association they wished to remain in the Championship?

What is the point of one club having a big budget, against most clubs playing with a more modest budget and winning the league season after season? Cast your mind back to St Blazey in the old South Western League, they monopolised the league. How very boring.

Yes pastyman it should be addressed. I totally agree with you but that doesn't mean a thing. It's with the powers above to change the system, not a couple of supporters on a forum. It doesn't matter how loud you shout unless they want to change it thing will always be the same. It should be automatic promotion without doubt, anyone who says otherwise it pesimistic. With promotion there are many financial benifits which if you have the right people at the club they will be able to exploit & find these opportunitys .

I think the FA should allow teams to declare at the start of a season that they do not want to take promotion. This could be for any reason.This makes them opt-out and then their league position should be ignored when considering other teams' promotion prospects. So the highest placed team who has not opted-out are given the promotion. At least then we wouldn't have this "will they wont they" situation that happens now in the SWPL and feeder leagues.

I think the FA should allow teams to declare at the start of a season that they do not want to take promotion. This could be for any reason.This makes them opt-out and then their league position should be ignored when considering other teams' promotion prospects. So the highest placed team who has not opted-out are given the promotion. At least then we wouldn't have this "will they wont they" situation that happens now in the SWPL and feeder leagues.

So what about when we get a situation like 2 seasons ago when Budleigh Salterton changed their mind at the last minute and decided not to take promotion. I don't think declaring your intentions at the beginning of the season makes sense as we have seen many times over the last few years clubs financial situations can change on a dime during the season and unfortunately some clubs have paid the ultimate price for this. Plus what happens if the only side not to opt out finish mid to bottom of the table? That would make no sense in promoting a side that clearly are not even one of the best sides in their own league.

To be fair tho a mid table team in the swpl would still be a mid table team in the western league prem.having played in both, There isn't a step in standard just travelling distance. If anything there is more time on the ball in western league which thenreproduces a more attractive style of football. I wouldn't say it's better but it's a lot easier on the eye. Buckland will be pushing for the title in the western league this year. Maybe it will then encourage other teams to gain promotion as they could we be in with a chance of southern football in a few seasons

To be fair tho a mid table team in the swpl would still be a mid table team in the western league prem.having played in both, There isn't a step in standard just travelling distance. If anything there is more time on the ball in western league which thenreproduces a more attractive style of football. I wouldn't say it's better but it's a lot easier on the eye. Buckland will be pushing for the title in the western league this year. Maybe it will then encourage other teams to gain promotion as they could we be in with a chance of southern football in a few seasons

Agree with Crusty. Standard of Western league football is very similar, most of the better SWPL teams would be finishing within the top few places in that League.

It would be interesting to see if Buckland would go up again if they get the chance to, hopefully that will spur others on in SWPL that they can do it.

We need another club to start climbing the leagues and wouldn't it be great if we had a few teams from the SWPL having derbies in the southern league and beyond.

Exactly, if the likes of Bodmin Tavy saltash Falmouth etc.... Went for promotion I'm sure they would draw a lot larger crowd if they came up against each other in the southern league for example. There would also be a lot more sponsorship opportunity for clubs if they are willing to search due to playing at a much higher standard, businesses would want to be associated with teams that have ambition

Bodmin are stuck in the dark ages i'm afraid happy to hammer teams week in week out and then tell everyone how good they are. We will still be talking like this in 10 years time. Bodmin are the best team by miles but it means nothing, as i have said time and time again it's not the money it's the lack of ambition and fear of the challenge.

not trying to knock any team as they have their reasons for not wanting to be promoted but neil warnock came out and said that bodmin had a very good setup and its a pleasure to bring his club down to play.they also dealt with at least 2000 supporters against leeds so the fa could not say the ground is not fit for the next level.it is a shame because it would enhance cornish football with more teams at a higher level

Bodmin in particular cant have any excuses.

The gate receipts from the Leeds Utd game would have stuck near on Twenty Five Grand into the clubs coffers before a ball is even kicked in anger.

They may have taken around 25 grand, but do not forget expenses has to come out of that. Leeds would not have done it for nothing.

what makes u think its down to the clubs lacking ambition ?????? how many players or officials would a club lose due to the extra travelling time. sat morn overtime will be a big loss to some and what about those with kids. Its easy to say do this do that if a player/players dont or cant travel you havent got a team, yes there are other players who would walk to a game but r they good enough

I think when you reach a certain level you become a career player and not a hobby player, you have to make sacrifices and sometimes it's a pain but this is where ambition comes into play, if you have it you make the sacrifice if you don't, then continue to be a hobby player but i'm sure there are plenty of players and plenty of clubs who would be prepared to make that sacrifce, unfortunately Bodmin, our best team aren't one of them, bad and sad for Cornish football.