Cornwall Football Forum

Another saturday with no football!!!

Another saturday doing what the mrs has planned! But yet we get stupid fixtures on weekday evenings, which people struggle to make due to work. who organised this shambles of a league? Its a joke! Teams put a lot of money and effort to play a seasons football so that there players enjoy there football. Has anyone really enjoyed this season? I doubt it much!!

Amazing!!! Some people's ignorance truly does astound me. All you have to do is to make sure you pack your boots and shin pads every weekend or for a month at the end of the season some midweek games. The volunteers and I will repeat that word volunteers have been given a tough task of implementing a new combined league of over 80 sides along with countless cup competitions over the last 9 months. All your club has paid for that privilege is £50.....your ref expenses are paid to the ccfa.

But oh no yet again somebody hiding behind a nickname thinks that the league they play in is crap and badly organised.....tell you what at this years agm if it's such a joke put your name forward to be the fixtures secretary and give gerald a rest from it for a year.....I look forward to seeing you sort this "sorry mess" out and everyone will look forward to only playing Saturdays next season without any midweek games and all the grounds will be available and no games will be cancelled due to junior cup reschedules or weather or teams requesting a week off due to weddings or short of players and when the league fixtures come out in August they will be played on that exact date all the way up to the end of may!!!

Well done to the trelawny league in my honest opinion. Their are a couple of tweaks that I'm sure they are well aware of that will need "tweaking" but all in all what has been achieved is a much more competitive league all the way through with much closer score lines which everyone was crying out for so a round of applause to the small band of...... Theirs that word again "volunteers"

It does appear to be a bit of a shambles from the outside, but the leagues are in their infanancy. The duchy leagues have around 12/13 teams per league and have a couple of cups. They run like clockwork and you hardly ever have two weeks off in a row let alone two or three blank weekends throughout the season. Its a very hard job to organise this and obviously needs a season or 2 to bed in so give the new league a chance.

As much as I disagree with the midweek cup finals (see other thread!!!) I must say I've enjoyed this season. Played sides we wouldn't usually play, and overall I think the standard of the leagues has improved by quite some way. Like all new projects, you have to give it time, and the trelawney league is no different. It may take a couple of seasons, but I think it will be a success in the not to distant future!

Guest BenTheYeti

Couldn't agree more with you Pitty.. at the end of the day, each club has a secretary too, and being in the position myself since the start of this year, I have found the likes of Steve Carpenter, Gerald Sobey and Tony Steed fantastically accommodating. A first class example would be back in late February, our fixtures hit some sort of blip in the system, and we were faced with no game for 5 weeks. Rather than come on here and whine and moan about it, myself and the manager of our reserves, got in touch with Gerald, and made some suggestions as to where and when we could play some fixtures within that time frame. Within 2 days, the whole thing was sorted and we had a schedule up and running again. Similiarly, recently we had the local derby against St Ives postponed due to a cup semi final, but with the clearance and help of the likes of Gerald and Tony, myself and the St Ives manager managed to sort out the fixture for a week earlier.

What I'm saying is, every club wants the same thing.. to play football. Now when you were kids, did you end up not playing football cos someone didn't organise it and you went home and complained to your parents, or did you pick a piece of grass, make some goalposts and play till it got dark?

If you want to whine at anyone, have a look within your own club and question whether they have done enough to give you some playing time. If the answer is no, then I suggest you put your hand up at the start of next season and volunteer to be your club's secretary

Anyone who thought the league merger was going to go smoothly with no hiccups is very nieve. granted it is frustrating when you play one game a month for much of the season and then have 6 games in 14 days but i am confident these niggles will be ironed out by the league in preperation for next season. all we can do as clubs is rally around and support instead of slate the guys who put in numerous hours to allow us to do what we love and kick a bag of wind around a playing field whether it be a saturday or a tuesday night!

big tap on the back to gerald, steve, tony and anyone else involved

the people who are running the newly founded trelawney league are doing a fine job, in any new thing there is going to be a few teething problems, especially with fixtures as there are around 80 teams who all want to play every saturday

new ol, who ever you are, wind your neck in because you are also using a site that is completely free to use and is organised by people who give up their own time to make sure we get the best possible service

Got to say that what many people forget is that some clubs in the Trelawney league have senior teams in combo or above and they take priority over the use of the pitch. Gerald et al do a great job and are very approachable and reasonable when it comes to the fixtures. Usually the teams who have lots of games left by this time in the season have been involved in cups - I would rather have lots left - means we have done reasonably well. Never going to please everyone but to be so vitriolic about it is a little unfair.

The duchy leagues have around 12/13 teams per league and have a couple of cups. They run like clockwork and you hardly ever have two weeks off in a row let alone two or three blank weekends throughout the season.

Ronnie you have hit the nail on the head. The main cause of fixture disruption in the Trelawny League is the number of cups. If the cups can be rationalised next season to something similar to the Duchy then most of the fixture problems will be resolved.