Cornwall Football Forum

Oh Dear!!!

Truro City's predicament? No smoke without fire. The Stadium for Cornwall will be a white elephant if built: a continual drain on the Cornish Council Tax payer for decades to come. It is a non-starter for Truro FC with its 500 fans crammed into a 10,000 seater stadium and anyway the club won't last to the end of this season at its present level unless another rich benefactor appears out of nowhere - and lightning doesn't strike twice.

Its great news a stadium for cornwall just hope cornish pirates win promotion now i for 1 would attend every match at the new stadium if it is built.I also hope the new stadium could be used for a music venue which would be brilliant .I also think the contractors should be the same people who made the millenium stadium in wales at a fraction of the price as wembley stadium and in such a short time .I dont think truro city will play at the stadium becaused they are well and truelly in the s--t,and i can see them folding b4 long people like Barry Hayles are not goin to play for nothing .

Truro City's predicament? No smoke without fire. The Stadium for Cornwall will be a white elephant if built: a continual drain on the Cornish Council Tax payer for decades to come. It is a non-starter for Truro FC with its 500 fans crammed into a 10,000 seater stadium and anyway the club won't last to the end of this season at its present level unless another rich benefactor appears out of nowhere - and lightning doesn't strike twice.

Just the sort of person Cornwall can do with out.If you have a gripe with Truro don't take it out on the real Cornish people of which most want Cornwall to have there own Stadium,FACT..

Guest smashing pumpkin

i hope they build a stadium for cornwall , it would be used for alot of events and matchs , eg rugby, football, athletics, music events etc.

if there going to spend the money on it there going to want to make it back.

Just the sort of person Cornwall can do with out.If you have a gripe with Truro don't take it out on the real Cornish people of which most want Cornwall to have there own Stadium,FACT..

Sorry, Python, must have been out of the County when everyone was asked. I just write what I believe, and anyway, why should a Stadium "for Cornwall" be built west of Truro? Surely it should be as centrally situated as possible in the County? I have no gripe with Truro the football club. I have often written on here about the fantastic standard of football being played. It is the leadership of the club I have a problem with, which is quite different. But their biggest crowd this decade was about 2,700 for their Vase semi-final. In a 16,000 seater stadium? Be realistic, Python.

I believe the Pirates would need a 15,000 seater to play in the "Premier League".

Perhaps Home Park would be a more sensible option for the first season & then see what transpires.

I think Truro City would need to be playing at Championship level to fill 15,000 seats on a regular basis which is probably unlikely.

I believe the Pirates would need a 15,000 seater to play in the "Premier League".

Perhaps Home Park would be a more sensible option for the first season & then see what transpires.

I think Truro City would need to be playing at Championship level to fill 15,000 seats on a regular basis which is probably unlikely.

10000 minimum capacity for premiership rugby

10000 minimum capacity for premiership rugby

Hiya Cat.

Current figure is minimum 10,500 for Premiership rugby.

From 2013 it rises to 12,000 for Premiership Rugby.

also to 15,000 to play 1/4 final matches and beyond in the Heineken Cup.

Many Premiership clubs including BATH would not qualify to return to the Premiership if relegated

because of the lack of numbers, here in Wycombe, London Wasps have to move from Adams Park

that has a 10,500 capacity for the same reason. They already squeezed in 500 extra seats at Wasps

because the stadium only housed 10,000 for that reason. The local council has turned down the

Wasps/Wanderers planning application for a new bigger stadium, it now looks as if Wasps will be

moving away from the area.

I don't think the Pirates or Truro City could afford to play at a stadium for Cornwall.

The Premiership would IMO leave the Pirates millions of pounds in debt, unfortunate but players wages, travel expenses

etc. wouldn't be covered by any possible income.

Truro City would need at most a 6000 stadium and with that struggle to financially keep afloat, I couldn't see the council

allowing Truro to pay 80% less than the Pirates to put on a game but Truro only get 20% of the crowds the Pirates get

at their games.

Guessing but don't the Pirates get 3000 as opposed to Truro's 600.

Why are most people involving Truro in this anyway? It's a stadium for Cornwall so the pirates will need a 10,000 odd capacity. If its in Truro why not use it, Truro will pay rent and that will gradually regain the costs of building. Can anyone name me a ground nearby which sells out every week or even gets close? It's called ambition, try using it one day.

I see Kevin Heaney has said that without the Stadium for Cornwall Truro City cannot progress. He apparently told the meeting at the club that he had already been told by planners it wouldn't be possible. That depends on what he proposed. He might have put outline plans to the planners he knew they'd reject! You need a ground to meet certain requirements for Conference Premier and League 2 football, one that can hold up to 5,000 people. If there was a full-length stand it could hold 1900. If the other 3 sides were just terracing, based on just 5 meters front to back, the capacity could be around 6,500. A 5 meter front to back terrace could be covered and still be no higher than the open stands on the Treyew Road side so the people living there wouldn't have their outlook spoiled any more than now.

What will hold the club back is running costs. Do the sums. How much would you pay each player? How many players? How much would team managers and coaches and essential groundstaff be paid? How much for travel, overnight accommodation (especially if promoted)? How much for referees, electricity, policing? It comes into seven figures per year. What businesses in Cornwall pull in that kind of money? Torquay had less than 3,000 for a local derby with Argyle this week. How much would you calculate as the likely income from the gate over a season? Truro (or any other Cornish football club competing at that level) would need an Abramovich, not a Heaney!