Cornwall Football Forum

Respect Campaign Feedback PLEASE

I'm due to talk to the nation's "Respect" county supremos at the F.A. ("Hello Wembley") the week after next, to explain how the West Cornwall Sunday League is dealing with the way that clubs and players treat referees.

It occurs to me that I have no real knowledge of the effectiveness of "Respect" outside my own league. I would be grateful for some feedback so that I don't make too many false assumptions. The rest of Cornish football may have a completely different view to mine.

1. I am only interested in adult clubs - but at all levels.

2. I would like to hear of any sanctions (punishments) that have been handed out by the CCFA that are directly in response to Respect.

3. I'd like to hear of any rewards that have been handed out (a word of praise or a letter counts)

I'd be pleased to hear from club officials and players. Any views at all on Respect. If you don't wish to go "public" on this, please feel free to send your views in a PM.

One of the topics in the day's discussions is where Respect should go from here, what works and what doesn't work. Nobody has asked either my club or my League and so, with no feedback, its difficult to see how they're going to deal with that.

What an ideal opportunity to have the FA explain why the principals of the Respect campaign were not upheld in the recent highly publicised match. I feel sure the FA would have imposed a much higher penalty if the incident had happened at a league ground, so why should principals of Respect mean less in a lesser league ?

I doubt very much if the CCFA have written to any club giving praise for actions taken in the Respect campaign, that is assuming that clubs or players actually take it seriously in the first place.

What an ideal opportunity to have the FA explain why the principals of the Respect campaign were not upheld in the recent highly publicised match. I feel sure the FA would have imposed a much higher penalty if the incident had happened at a league ground, so why should principals of Respect mean less in a lesser league ?

I'm not sure how the Respect campaign is relevant to that incident. Respect is about the way that players, officials and supporters treat the referee. Aren't you referring to an incident where players got involved with supporters?

My interpretation of the Respect campaign is that it covers all aspects of the game, players, officials, managers, spectators etc.. Ii seems that not too much respect was shown on that particular day, and that the values of the campaign were devalued further by the deplorable lack of a meaningful punishment by the County FA.

We have gone off subject somewhat, the original poster requests information about praise received by any club, have there been any occasions that a club has been praised by the CCFA or indeed there own league ?

We have gone off subject somewhat, have there been any occasions that a club has been praised by the CCFA or indeed there own league ?

Not only does the West Cornwall Sunday League praise clubs, there was a cash handout at the end of the last two seasons for clubs that treated referees properly. Do any other leagues do similar?

Guest Cappuccino

Mr Lamin - in the CSWPL the referees get the players to line up before games and they all shake hands - within minutes officials are allowing players to swear and abuse them but no action has been taken in the games I have attended recently.

In a recent Charity Cup fixture a player after five minutes called the assistant a f***ing cheat and no action taken.

The referees have yellow and red cards - then use them - spectators might also follow the example of better behaved players.

A dream I know but unfortunately it is in the hands of our County FA - what a forlorn hope then.

As for your comment that the recent incident was nothing to do with the RespectCampaign - wrong Bill - if the FA had acted correctly then it would have sent the right mesage out to everybody - but they bottled the action.

Hence the outrage and dismay on this Forum by all fair minded football followers.

Hi Bill

I've always been a fan of the way your league encourages fair play and I'm delighted to hear you're off to Wembly to spread the word.

We know that all of us learn from others from the day we're born and the "monkey see, monkey do" theory of learning obviously spreads into our great game.

Perhaps you could remind them that all young players look at the great players and try to copy all the great technical skills and new ideas that they see in the televised matches. This also includes the less favourable elements such as how we approach and respect referees, and that until it is addressed at the very highest level, it will never truly have any noticeable affect at a local level.

Until there is a willingness to implement it properly at the highest level they're wasting their time.

On a local level, last season I watched a seasoned referee in a game who did nothing at all when called a "nonce" by someone in the dugout. He couldn't have failed to hear it as he was 15 yards away looking straight at that area of the pitch and I was around 50 yards away and heard it clearly.

If the referees don't deal with easy decisions like this the culprits will simply carry on to heap misery on the next poor sod who has the unenviable task of refereeing that club.

Good luck mate, I hope you have a profitable journey.

In my opinion, it just doesnt work, yes line the players up and shake hands, I thought you did that after the match when saying well done lads..thanks for the game. I've seen in many leagues, that the refs dont respect the players and the opposite way round..A lot of leagues only signed up to the Respect programme as they were instructed to by the FA. A few years back now, our league was guinea pig to the 10 yeard rule, if a player or even someone in your tech area moaned about a decision, the ball was moved forward for the opposition 10 yards..and boy did it work..no foul langague..respect between the players and the officials and no managers with rose tinted glasses on the touchline chasing the linesman up and down the line like a steam train..what did the FA do..nah it didnt work in their eyes..more like bookings were down and not as much money was coming in. Respect has now been going for 2 seasons now and I dont see the point in it to be honest

A few years back now, our league was guinea pig to the 10 yeard rule, if a player or even someone in your tech area moaned about a decision, the ball was moved forward for the opposition 10 yards..and boy did it work..no foul langague..respect between the players and the officials and no managers with rose tinted glasses on the touchline chasing the linesman up and down the line like a steam train..what did the FA do..nah it didnt work in their eyes..more like bookings were down and not as much money was coming in. Respect has now been going for 2 seasons now and I dont see the point in it to be honest

The "10 yard rule" pilot included an instruction to the referee that they had to caution the offending player if they moved the ball 10 yards. Of course that ruined it. Nothing to do with bookings down - just too much hassle added by the bureaucrats.

A simple, "let's all go forward 10 yards if you argue" would have been much more likely to have worked.

No Referee will ever complete a game where both sides think he has,nt made a mistake! Players are exactly the same, we ALL make mistakes. A good player makes less mistakes than other players, and a good referee will make less mistakes than other referees. Fact is a player must earn respect and a referee must earn respect.A player does this with his feet, a ref must do this when administering the rules.With young players now skipping junior football, and going into the many senior teams we have locally most show very little if any respect for more experienced team mates. and even less for referees! On the other hand referees must not become unapproachable, although I do realize that they could not have a debate on every decision.Then you move to the bar where many players spend very little if any time. You should always have a drink with the opposition, talk over things that have gone on in the game in an amicable way, and MOST of all the referee should join in. A referee should never be made to feel insecure when entering a clubs bar, afterall he is not going to change his decision on the pitch let alone in the bar afterwards. Players get to know the ref, the ref gets to know the players, next game both will have respect for each other games run smoother!Maybe all players might even take time out to watch a local rugby match where referees are very well respected.

I'm with St Darren on this one. Respect IS a 2 way thing.

There are officials out there that immediately demand/gain respect, officials such as Nigel Jewell, Lenny Stephens, Brian and Simon Harris, Andy Howes, the chunky ex body builder who's name escapes me BUT I think he's called Phil?, and a couple of others who I just can't remember. These guys treat players with respect, speak to like you're a human being and leave you in NO DOUBT that they are in charge of the game, but not on a power trip.. They exude common sense and are pretty much there for exactly the same reason as the players... To enjoy the game..

In comparison there are others out there that, as St Darren says, will NEVER have my respect. Robin "ba****d" Gregory was one of them, but luckily he's not around anymore. Another one is the little guy who reffed at Praze whilst I was still playing, earlier this season.. I think he's called John, but I wouldn't be too sure. I'm half way through a rotation to clear a ball, he blows up for a foul, I'm ABSOLUTELY UNABLE to stop my rotation, and am literally mid kick when he blew the whistle. The result, a :SM_carton_y: for me for apparent dissent by kicking the ball away :angry: .. Even though I explained that I COULDN'T stop a kick when my foot is in full swing and already about to contact the ball. Then after the game, he comes upto me and says "look, I know you didn't mean any dissent BUT I have to send the booking in, I'll see what I can do for you"..

Common sense applied originally, NO PROBLEM.. How can that be respected?.

As St Darren said, some WILL get respect, others DON'T deserve it....

Coopsie but would you get rid of your best forward for missing a goal or would you give him another chance? A referee makes a mistake as you quoted in your last post, and he is a bad referee. The ref in question did admit to making a mistake after the game, if you had said thanks ref glad you realized it was a mistake. next game he reffed where you were involved,you might just have got a warning if you kicked the ball away intentionally.

Coopsie but would you get rid of your best forward for missing a goal or would you give him another chance? A referee makes a mistake as you quoted in your last post, and he is a bad referee. The ref in question did admit to making a mistake after the game, if you had said thanks ref glad you realized it was a mistake. next game he reffed where you were involved,you might just have got a warning if you kicked the ball away intentionally.

He WAS thanked for admitting his mistake, still made NO difference though, STILL got booked (for only the second time in 19 years of junior footy)(thanks for that info Mr Cudmore ;) ). It's not a single mistake that makes an opinion of these guys Topcat. As I said, played down here for 19 years, pretty much all the refs I mentioned have reffed me for most of that time, so I've had plenty of occasions to deduce who deserves respect and who doesn't. Surely people aren't shallow enough to form an opinion of somebody after a single encounter with them?.

we had a ref at the beginning of last season against Perranporth who called us together before the game - you know full well he's going to be shit then! - he looked at one of our players and said "I know what you're like" wonderful start to the evening!!

don't think he's reffing now, he may well be the new steward at Porthleven FC though!

For me, its a very simple answer. Referees will be respected if they do what they are supposed to do! Referee the game! Some referees forget that a football match is about 2 teams competing for victory, and their job is to insure that this is done in a controlled manor. Obviously everyone makes mistakes, and they are almost guaranteed in every game. The best referee I've possibly ever had was when we (St.Austell) played away at Hayle earlier in the season. I'm unsure of his name, but he was fantastic. Great communication, physically fit, and was genuine with his decisions and didn't just listen to appeals! I feel very confident when i say im sure this particular referee gets very little grief from anyone whilst refereeing a match, and is highly respected! If you have a ref that is constantly giving poor decisions because he is un-fit and giving poor decisions because he finds it difficult to keep up with play/un-interested/doesnt communicate well with players, then naturally players, supporters and management will find it difficult to respect the referee.

I am a strong believer in a previous post that stated respect can only ever be earnt!

Leaner me old fruit, and fellow Ring of Fire'r, i completely agree.

Referees need to get back to basics, and earn the respect needed to control a game. Theres too many referees who turn up on a saturday and are completely pig ignorant to be fair.

We've had some super refs this year (even in Duchy 5) and im afraid to say, one shocker aswell who was appaling to say the least...BUT we still shook his hand at the end of the game, whilst he wasnt interested in shaking ours.

When i fired the "respect" campaign words towards him, he immediately changed his tune. Respect is a two way street.

Incidently, my second cousin was a fantastic young referee im told, Graham Cutler (who refereed and played locally in the 70s for Blazey to name but one team) was refereeing Exeter City @ St. James' (1977/8 i think) when he dropped dead on the pitch. Just before he dropped down he was rollocking 4 exeter players who just stood there taking the enslaught out of respect for Graham. Would you ever see that at any level now??!!

Ah I see it all now, it`s the referee`s who need to show respect and obviously all the current problems are down to them. I must rethink my approach to the game and apologise to any player/manager who is screaming at me for having the audacity to penalise their team with a free kick etc and I must learn to stand and take all the abuse which is aimed at me without thinking " what the hell am I doing here " there must be a better way to spend my time, which by the way more than ever officials are doing, hence the shortage of referee`s. Personally all I want is for all concerned in the game is to accept that I am there for their benefit to make the decisions required during the game, that is what I have been asked to do by being appointed to that game and I will make those decisions regardless of the fact that I know only too well sometimes all hell breaks loose when i am called upon to make difficult decisions. I hope you can understand where I am coming from with this post and I do realise that nobody is perfect and that includes referee`s we are only human and as such quite capable of making mistakes and being inconsistant., it`s the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying its all the referees fault at all. I'm saying respect is earnt. Of course there are a number of occasions where referees get unnecessary verbal abuse for decisions they make. But there are also a number of occasions where referees don't help themselves!!

I for one always respect officials, even Linos who are blatently cheating. However, some of the refs we've had this season have been an absolute joke, and although i wont say they deserve abuse, they sometimes dont help themselves. If they dont see an incident fair enough, however when they clearly dont really have a clue about playing the game and become the main attention i can see how it annoys players/managers.

Especially when some give a goal kick when the goal has clearly been slotted home, as it "went through the pegged down side netting" because his 13 year old linesman son said so, when he is on the other side of the pitch..... But im not sour about that at all!!!!

On a better note, some of the refs we've had have been outstanding.

Bill

It would appear obvious from some replies & personal experience that a large percentage of people fail to grasp that the Respect Campaign is NOT about respecting the referee because they are a good referee. It is partially about respecting that that person IS the referee. Nothing about their ability, plain & simply that they are the referee.

How many players have actually read the Guide or Code Of Conduct?

How many Clubs have adopted the Respect Codes into their Codes of Conduct?

How many people have actually seen the video promoting the Respect Campaign?

There are some very good aspects that have been introduced at youth level, which, when implemented, work very well, such as 'designated spectator areas' & hopefully in years to come it can be said the campaign is working.

Where does it go from here? - My personal opinion is that it should concentrate on the education of the current adult players, managers & Club Officials in relation to what is expected of them.

Best of luck with your presentation

Gary

How many people have actually seen the video promoting the Respect Campaign?

Can't comment on anyone else, and I can't say how things happen at this current moment in time. However, on behalf of Gulval FC, I can categorically say that when Mike Stevens (aka The General) was my manager, the very last words he'd give in his team talk would be "and NOBODY speaks to the ref", and believe me, if his words were ignored, he'd leave you in no doubt that you're on borrowed time and if you make the same mistake again, you're off...

I don't see how anybody could complain about this method, and I think it's fair to say that there can't be many refs that go to Gulval and end up leaving with a feeling of resentment, or expect any trouble when they are notified of any fixture down there?.

Also, on 1 occasion that I do remember a player not listening to Mike's words, and deciding to speak out of term after the game (quite disgustingly), the player was basically banished from the club...

My point is, there ARE teams/clubs out there that DO give a damn about refs, and treat them accordingly. Therefore, I think it's fair that when an official does not show us the respect we show them, we treat them accordingly (in a silent and non-offensive manner of course ;) )...

i am sure this has been mentioned before. if clubs consistantly cause problems to referees then surely when there is a shortage they should be the ones that miss out.perhaps then they will get it through their thick heads that the referee is there for their benefit.

to me respect starts in the home and comes from your parents.please and thank you,opening doors and letting females pass on the inside,they are rarely seen in today's society.

a lot of the youth today do not respect themselves,were are their role models. :unsure:

Tough call this one to be honest

IM a big believer that you have to earn respect, Not just as a referee or player but as a person in general and you only have to look on this forum for that

Some officials and players have a lot of respect on here because they have always conducted themselves in the right manner (not just on the forum) and to be honest that is how it works and that is how you gain respect

I’m not going to mention names but there are many officials that I know and I make sure that when I see them I go and shake there hand and have a chat with them, I also go to the officials after the final whistle and shake there hand and thank them (This did not used to be the case)

I myself have learnt the hard way but as I get older I get wiser and things become clearer (I do not mind admitting to this either) and I have given many officials a piece of my mind and that was wrong of me but admitting that is one thing but doing something about it is another which is why I now respect the officials and the jobs they do

Yes sure they get things wrong but hey ho were not all perfect are we and if you think I’m wrong then when you retire from the game do not hang up your boots just yet why not become an official and see just how hard although sometimes very rewarding it is (I’m not retired yet by the way)

The officials job is a tough one though and they do deserve a break from the abuse they get because as stated before they are only human and do not get everything correct 100% of the time, Put yourself in there shoes as well I mean would you like to give up your spare time and travel the county to take a load of abuse because I know I would not do it

The only official I really do not like is Anita :SM_carton: and that is only because she is an Arsenal fan and gives me abuse (Just kidding) :D

I’m not going to mention names but there are many officials that I know and I make sure that when I see them I go and shake there hand and have a chat with them, I also go to the officials after the final whistle and shake there hand and thank them (This did not used to be the case)

I myself have learnt the hard way but as I get older I get wiser and things become clearer (I do not mind admitting to this either) and I have given many officials a piece of my mind and that was wrong of me but admitting that is one thing but doing something about it is another which is why I now respect the officials and the jobs they do

The only official I really do not like is Anita :SM_carton: and that is only because she is an Arsenal fan and gives me abuse (Just kidding) :D

I'll tell you what mate, that's bloody scary. HONESTLY, that could REALLY have been me that had written that.. EVERY last detail is scarily comparable to me :o;) ..

I'll tell you what mate, that's bloody scary. HONESTLY, that could REALLY have been me that had written that.. EVERY last detail is scarily comparable to me :o;) ..

That is a bit worrying mate, Just let me put the ki-bosh on this before anyone else things about saying it

No coopsie is not my long lost brother (We don’t have SPUDS fans in the family it is not allowed :D ) and no I am not coopsie using a different user name

Coopsie is however a top bloke and one of many on the forum who has my utmost respect :thumbsup:

I'm afraid to say that some people on here are talking the biggest pile of drivel of I've ever read! So a referee has to earn your respect?! So it's ok to abuse a referee who happens to have a bad game, purely because he hasn't earnt your respect?!

I've been playing mens football for 13 seasons now, and have picked up the odd booking here and there for a late tackle or two but never for dissent... I've even played in games when afterwards people have claimed things like "it was the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen" or "the referee cost us the game" etc. However lets be honest in those games the side could have finished some chances or defended better, it's all too easy to blame the ref. Over the course of the season the decisions tend to even themselves out.

As someone has already pointed out, you should "respect" the referee for the fact he is the referee, it's his job to referee the game and the players job to play it. The referee doesnt critisize a defensive error or forward for missing a sitter as that's not his job.

I would like to see harsher punishments for players sent off for dissent, players would then soon learn and would shut up. It's all very well for senior players to abuse the referee etc... because they always have one. At junior level I would like to see the referee grade all teams for their level of sportsmanship, and when there is a referee shortage the better behaved teams get a referee... teams would soon learn to respect the referee!

Woody, its not a case of having to pay his dues as a referee etc over a period of time.

A referee can turn up on a saturday and immediately earn the respect of the two teams, by having the courtesy of good eye contact and laying down the law in a respectful manner to both teams.

We have too many condecending referees who immediately put players backs up with their poor attitude.

I believe pro ref Howard Webb used those near exact words (i used in the first paragraph) a couple of seasons ago when being asked about a certain game.

Guest Cappuccino

So Woomanaldo would like harsher punishments for dissent - why not harsher punishments for players who go into the crowd and attack spectators!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps it is our so called Cornwall County FA that should be earning respect - dreaming up Community Service in order for AFC St Austell to get off lightly - where in the FA Handbook does it mention anything about Community Service. The other thing about that is I thought somebody had to go to court and be sentenced to Community Service as an alternative to prison etc. Not something dreamt up by the police officer brother of the St Austell manager.

RESPECT CAMPAIGN - a sick joke!!!!!

Many thanks to all who have replied through the various forums (Fori??).

This whole thing is really interesting. I can easily prepare a fascinating report on just what has been said here.

I'm sure that the "respect" people have no idea of the views, unbelievable attitudes and ignorance that seems to be present in Cornwall, and is probably there through the rest of the country.

I'm not sure that they realised how difficult their task was going to be!

I'll include some of this lot in my presentation on Tuesday.

If there's anything more anyone wants to add, can they add it this evening so that I can consider it?