Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Farnborough

Truro City v Farnborough

Saturday 22nd August, 3pm, Treyew Road, Truro.

Farnborough are heading to Treyew Road on Saturday as the odds-on favourites to win the Southern Premier Division. They have won both of their League matches so far this season and their squad includes several high profile summer signings including Grenada International Bradley Bubb.

They are an ambitious club who are launching an all-out campaign to get back to Conference Football. I seem to remember in recent years they had a very good FA Cup run which ended only in defeat to Arsenal.!

Whoever wins on Saturday will take the top spot in the League Table.

Should be a 'cracker'...!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Didn't realise Truro were playing this season, no fixtures on the website !

Tell a lie, found it.... apologies.

Don't want to be accused of only singing when we're winning, so here's the poop on the loss today, courtesy of the liveupdates link through Tiger Talk.

Truro City (0) 2

Santos Gaia (58)

Andy Watkins (90)

Farnborough (1) 3

Unknown

Unknown (70)

Bubb (88)

Attendance 863

Updates

17:02:46 FULL-TIME: Truro City 2-3 Farnborough

16:46:14 GOAL: TRURO CITY 2-3 Farnborough - Andy Watkins (90)

16:43:07 SUB: Martin Watts replaced Les Afful

16:42:49 GOAL: Truro City 1-3 FARNBOROUGH - Bubb (88)

16:41:53 Jake dismissed for second yellow, sorry I missed the first one earlier

16:40:13 SENT OFF: Jake Ash

16:39:44 CAUTION: Jake Ash

16:32:55 CAUTION: Joe Broad

16:32:07 We're finding it impossible to retain possession but still creating chances

16:30:47 Ibe evades 2 challenges and lashes past Dave Wilkinson into the corner

16:29:10 GOAL: Truro City 1-2 FARNBOROUGH - Unknown (70)

16:28:00 The attendance has been recorded as 863

16:19:07 Watto outjumps a defender at the far post and Santos nods in the equaliser

16:17:36 GOAL: TRURO CITY 1-1 Farnborough - Santos Gaia (58)

16:15:22 Jake Ash gets final warning, next foul will get a booking

16:06:04 SUB: Shane White replaced Barry McConnell

16:05:31 SUB: Marcus Martin replaced Graeme Power

16:04:23 The second half has kicked off

15:48:47 HALF-TIME: Truro City 0-1 Farnborough

15:37:08 Farnborough break down the right and Ibe heads them into the lead

15:36:04 GOAL: Truro City 0-1 FARNBOROUGH - Unknown

15:34:12 Danny Clay sent off, theirs only gets booked, what a joke decision

15:32:13 Danny Clay gets punched, throws one back

15:30:48 SENT OFF: Danny Clay

15:27:33 25 mins, Booking for their number 6 when Afful was clean through, should have been red, weak decision

15:13:57 Truro denied a penalty inside the first 5 minutes after Andy Watkins is felled in the area, free kick given on edge of box

15:01:04 The first half has kicked off

14:26:04 The Truro City line-up has been received

12:03:10 A stern test for the Tigers today - quality opponents, hopefully a decent crowd if the weather holds off, it's all set to be an exciting afternoon

We'll get 'em next time! Blip over, ROLL ON CITY

Judge:

The Crowd at City today - which included about 100 from Farnborough - was completely silent for Brian Biggins' minute's silence. Total respect shown for a truly great and widely admired man. Not a sound, not even a child talking. Everyone in the stands stood. It was extremely moving.

And -

Lucky Farnborough -

With only 9 men we were still pushing - and looked likely - to grab an equaliser.

If we have just played the odds-on favourites to win this league and nearly got a result with 9 men then I am filled with optomism for the rest of the season.

I forecast a 'cracker' and it was..!!

Although we lost - no one left the ground with any feeling of disappointment.

the linesman gave the freekick out side the box when andy was right through with goalie to beat,defo pen plus player sent off,what do these watch,he a ref as well,a poor one to boot,and the 3 officials were poor all game ,i think the ref who looked like he had just come back from holiday,thoght that we had come to watch him,wish he had stayed on his hols for another week. :c::angry2::angry2: :angry2:

Well I have to say, just like watching top of the league at the time Windsor last season, and likewise Farnborough today - I was disappointed in the opposition. On the day at least.

Truro certainly have no reason to think they will not be in with a shout come the end of the season. Andy Watkins and Les Afful caused them enough problems in the opening 25 minutes for City to be two up and Farnborough a player down!

Steve Paul, the assistant referee running the left-back line of Farnborough, was at least on the ball to flag that Watkins and Afful were fouled, in surprising contrast the referee Marc Whaley from Plymouth, who was only yards from both the incidents seemed to have a problem seeing anything! Each time he had to follow Paul's direction!

Suggestion has it that at least one of the fouls were inside the box - a penalty and a goal early on for City would have been great - and got the League's favourites for promotion rattled for sure.

Instead 5 minutes later, City were a man down as Danny Clay was shown a red card. This time the referee, a little closer, couldn't fail to see Clay raise his hand and unfortunately in today's modern game, that's something you can't do. A man down, and by half-time a goal down. Even the goal wasn't without incident as Graeme Power was trying to lift a "diving" opponent up off the ground as the visitors got on with things and Dean McDonald headed home.

Credit to Sean McCarthy at the break. They obviously thought about how to get back into the game and brought on, not one, but two subs. Marcus Martin to beef up the midfield, and Shane White as a right-back, in a 3-4-2 formation. Both starting full-backs of Barry McConnell and Power stayed in the dressing room.

And it soon paid off as City equalised twelve minutes into the second half after a Andy Taylor cross was headed back across the face of the goal by Wathins for Santos Gaia to head from under the cross-bar.

Not long after that, skipper Jake Ash got the first of his two yellow cards. Probably a result of a tricky afternoon for him as he had to somehow try and ignore the shirt-pulling antics of the Farnborough no. 9 - Kezie Ibe. I don't think Jake will have had too many more difficult opponents to mark in his playing career to date.

Just past the midway mark of the second-half and guess who, none other but Ibe put the visitors back in front. A little lucky to find the ball back at his feet on the edge of the Truro box, but didn't he finish well! Surely this time Truro would get killed off?

And worse was to follow as Ash got penalised for pulling back Ibe and the ref had no option but to produce another yellow card and dismiss the Truro captain from the pitch. Some would ask - what about the No.9, pulling Jake's shirt? Others would say, what a clever, strong striker Ibe is. I say, good luck to him if he can get away with it!

Just to rub it in even more, three minutes later and Truro were 3-1 down as Bradley Bubb hit home a cross from Ibe, after Ibe's first effort had been palmed down by City's latest addition in goal - Dave Wilkinson. Soon after Afful was replaced by Martin Watts, the little man had to be content with the Truro City Man of the Match award.

However, there was still time for Truro to hint that there might be a late rally from the 9-man team as Watkins made the most of a howler from Farnsborough's 'keeper Richard Barnard and side-footed the ball home into an empty net to reduce the arrears. Sadly it didn't happen.

However, Truro need not worry too much. They came into the game being told it was going to be their toughest league test for some time, and they came out of it with their heads held high. As well as hopefully learning from their experience.

As for the crowd - well two ways of looking at it. I overheard one say:"The ref spoilt it!", while another said:"No.9 was very good at leaning on his man!"

What I would say, to finish, that it was interesting to hear Chairman Kevin Heaney say to me after the match that we need a big striker. There's a few that have been saying that for at least four seasons! It would certainly give another option upfront.

I've seen all three of Truro's league games and would suggest they have a good chance to be up and around there come the end of the season. And to a lot of people, that's what today's game was all about - finding out how good this City team really is. :c:

And -

Lucky Farnborough -

With only 9 men we were still pushing - and looked likely - to grab an equaliser.

If we have just played the odds-on favourites to win this league and nearly got a result with 9 men then I am filled with optomism for the rest of the season.

I forecast a 'cracker' and it was..!!

Although we lost - no one left the ground with any feeling of disappointment.

Well you should have not have 2 sent off then as your vice chairman said on the radio this evening!!

Good crowd though! just wondering if Truro play the home games on a sunday like the Pirates (rugby) do! Just a thought! :c:

Er, did they not lose? Seems to me; losing means they were second best 'on the day'. Not too difficult is it! Blimey, no points against a team getting three; means losing, at least it used to. How difficult is it?

pablo taking a load of again :c:

Er, did they not lose? Seems to me; losing means they were second best 'on the day'. Not too difficult is it! Blimey, no points against a team getting three; means losing, at least it used to. How difficult is it?

pablo taking a load of again :c:

sorry thats unfair on some one talking because thats all that comes out of his mouth :clapper:

Well my response to you Pablo is you are just a muppet!! Don't you know anything about football? It's a funny old game! :c: :c:

Well my response to you Pablo is you are just a muppet !! Don't you know anything about football? It's a funny old game! :c::c:

thank you kempy some one who knows the game inside out,and a very good player aswell.that probably played for painters lane end, :drink: :lol:

Well my response to you Pablo is you are just a muppet !! Don't you know anything about football? It's a funny old game! :c::c:

thank you kempy some one who knows the game inside out,and a very good player aswell.that probably played for painters lane end, :drink::lol:

Well i think maybe a Vicky Pollard! yeh but no but!! and like you said a Richard head!! :c:

We can take defeat but don't be such a Richard Head as to post the bleeding obvious on our well educated forum! But we do have a few exceptions with the guys who live and play for some local team where i went to secondary school !! I won't worry as they will look at this and with more than 4 letters in any word and computer sais nooooo!! :c:

did some speak kempy,or did you :D

What you mean? I never !!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Judge:

The Crowd at City today - which included about 100 from Farnborough - was completely silent for Brian Biggins' minute's silence. Total respect shown for a truly great and widely admired man. Not a sound, not even a child talking. Everyone in the stands stood. It was extremely moving.

Quite right too ! No Different from the 145 at Mount Wise. Respect where it is due.

win ,lose draw , were still TCFC supporters you seem to have trouble grasing the idea losing fans can still see positive's from a defeat , yes we had players sent off , but city still fought to the last whistle as a team makes the defeat to the league favorites , easier to take given the ref was pretty much useless for the first half and the statement if we had kept 11 on the pitch we would have beaten them is used by every supporter of any team i know lol . WELL PLAYED CITY :clapper::c::clapper::drink:

Judge:

Quite right too ! No Different from the 145 at Mount Wise. Respect where it is due.

quite right to i actually agree with you 100% judge

I was at the truro farnborough game and 1st i would like to say well done to everyone who stood in complete silence as a mark of respect for mr newquay brian biggins which was really good i for 1 will be attending the funeral this fri at 2pm at penmount crematoriom to pay my last respects to a lovely man.Onto the match the ref and linesman where terrible truro should of had 2 clear pens but clay and ash both deserved to go they both must of had a rush of blood to the head ,but well done truro for making a fight of it if only yetton had played it would of been a different game but theres always next time the players truro should sign are ohagan now at falmouth and shaun middleton here at newquay .

Had Truro taken their chances in the first ten minutes when they were on top of the game and the Truro players been more disciplined, it would have been a different result and outcome. I thought that the referee had few options and got it spot on with the dismissals. Always a problem the relationship between referee and assistant referee. If the latter flags do you overrule him? I would like to see some more height in attack, not to say that our forwards didn't show great promise and with Yetts still to return. I thought that some of the long passes from the back over the heads of Farnborough's back four were too naive and hopeful. I also wondered whether one of two of the boys looked out of their depths at this level. Time will tell. The game would have been more of a spectacle but for the dismissals which took the competitive sting out of the game. It was always going to be beyond Truro's reach.

Guest Peppermint

100% Cornish's profiles proclaims that he is Newquay born and bred but he is touting for Newquay's Club Captain Shaun Middleton should be signed by Truro. Even Truro City have not got enough money to do that!!!!!!!!!

I thought 100% Cornish would be supporting Newquay not trying to prise away one of their best assets!!!!!!

On a serious note someone who watchged the Truro game praised the minute's silence for Brian and how well it was done. At Mount Wise it was observed impeccably and then the crowd broke into applause for a great man who will be sadly missed.

It was nice to see Sandra Biggin and her grandaughter Tamsin at the match to see the tribute and the players tribute to Brian.

Hi peppermint yes i am born and bred in newquay my grandad used to be treasurer many years ago when they where called newquay rovers he was called richard honey my dad watched newquay all his life and even when he had his stroke he would still go and see them and brian biggin always had time for him even though he couldnt talk but now they are up there looking down waiting for the next match.I have watched newquay for years but its not the same without st blazey and bodmin i lik ed the old south western league but all im saying is the likes of middleton ,hampshire, robinson and maybe hartinghan on agood day should go and make some money out of footy newquay have lost chris luxton who was class wrong decision goin bodmin could of gone truro and got noticed also newquays goalie who is at truro.Well im off to perranporth on tues hoping the peppermints can beat goslings side ,lets hope no repeats of godolphin this year.come on you peppermints and pilgrims. :c:

I'm sorry, they didn't lose then, is that right?

shhhhhhh

i went over to watch truro for the first time in a long time due to me being injured for a little while and i will no doubt be going over to treyew road again the next time i get a chance if truro had abit more luck then it could have been them walking away with the 3 points but fair play to the away side they took there chances well.... great game to watched but was abit of a crap atmosphere compaired to the games i have watched at truro before

totally agree with your report dave. really enjoyed the game, thought the gk, ash and gaiaa were excellent, as were watkins and afful a real handful. bit more luck, and a few more competent refereeing decisions and it would have been three points id say.

found an interesting picture on the farnborough website which summed up the ref and 'ass referee'. clever striker, stupid ref i'd say. dont know if it'll show up though, useless on the puter!

http://pantherstudio.zenfolio.com/09-08-22/e30fbe4bd

I will hopefully be back at treyew on bank hol monday. all the best to all cornish teams :clap: