Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Falmouth Town

Half time

Truro City 1 Falmouth Town 0 est Att 300

Jake Ash header from 6 yards 37min.

TC.Kyle Letheryn(released by Welsh Premier Llanelli FC),B McConnell,G.Power,J.Ash,S.Gaia,D Green,A.Taylor,M.Martin,L.Afful,A.Watkins,S.Walker-M.Watts,K.Baker,D.Clay,J.Broad.A.Pugh.J.Sims,S.White.........,.......... (9subs used)

FT-Jason Chapman,Ben Stidwell.Richard Kellow,Dave Rawlings,Tom Smith©,Hugh Howlett,Jimmy Alexander,Nick Pugliese,Danny O'Hagan,Neil Slateford, Nigel Thwaites subs Jamie Thompson,Sean Flynn.Rob Carey,Dan Stidwell

Matt Drummond/ Ollie Gibson/Richard Wilcox - injured? Robin Teagle unavailable.

Referee Peter Grenfell Penzance.

A lively and evenly contested half with Nigel Thwaites closest for Town (wide from 12yards)

A nasty clash of heads has seen Dave Rawlings and Andy Watkins being replaced after 20 mins by Sean Flynn and M,Watts.

Rawlings bandaged up and Watkins off to hospital for concussion checkover.

Full Time

Truro City 4 Falmouth Town 0 ht 1-0

Defensive frailties see Truro run in with a comfortable win

47min Jake Ash with a glancing header

54 min Marcus Martin with a close range header

83 min Watts heading home after more sloppy defending

Neil Slateford hits the woodwork in the closing minutes.

60min Jamie Thompson for Howlett

71min Rob Carey on for Thwaites

All Truro subs used

All information copied from the West Briton live blog of the game on 'This is Cornwall sport'

Report says Falmouth sloppy at back for goals. Hopefully Town will have Robin Teagle back in soon to tighten things up.

but lets take nothing away from a superior truro team

Compared with this stage last season we are so much better as a unit and have a strong experienced spine to the team which can be built around.

But until the first game at a much improved Elburton on Saturday will have to see if the new players have had time to gel together.

For sure there wont be a relegation issue this season.

No need to panic in the transfer market.

yes mike this was contested for the AUBREY WILKES TROPHY .

overall a deserved truro win after a keenly contested first half with the sides separated by a solitary strike fom jake ash . truro took their chances in the 2nd half and added 3 more goals to their tally to seal victory although town came close to gaining a consolation goal in the dying minutes when a cross cum shot glanced off the city crossbar. a good workout for both sides

Mike

How was Tom Smith received,?

Bearing in mind Town have to get used to working together as a team, & City two leagues above them I fully expected Truro to win,

& the weather was not the best by far, I only live a short distance from City ground but did not attend because of the lack of shelter from the eliments,

but I am confident that Town will become stronger as the season progresses,

Hammers :thumbsup::c: :c:

Guest Postie Pidge

I was 10 yards from the second goal and Im convinced it was a fist, but it happened in such a blur that I couldnt tell if it was Jake Ash' or the defenders.

I was at the other end and I thought it was a fist but anyway the goal counted and Truro had a two goal advantage.

Would like to thank Truro for their hospitality and mention how well the Treyew Road pitch stood up to the conditions.

Dan - if the weather had been better maybe there would have been more. Maybe there was - the 300 was only an estimate

I was 10 yards from the second goal and Im convinced it was a fist, but it happened in such a blur that I couldnt tell if it was Jake Ash' or the defenders.

I was at the other end and I thought it was a fist but anyway the goal counted and Truro had a two goal advantage.

Would like to thank Truro for their hospitality and mention how well the Treyew Road pitch stood up to the conditions.

Dan - if the weather had been better maybe there would have been more. Maybe there was - the 300 was only an estimate

defo punched in,the hand of jake,hes are god :clapper: :clapper:

Watched the game.Thought Falmouth played some nice football in the first half without really threatening the Truro goal.In the second half Falmouth were made to chase shadows quite a bit as the class plus the fitness of the City team became evident,which you would expect with a team playing at a much higher level.

Take nothing away from Falmouth,with a tighter defence I think they are a good team and expect to see them in the running for glory again come the end of the season.

KIT, (Truro City supporter)

Was the match played for the Aubrey Wilkes Trophy?

Biggest bit of silverware I have seen-maybe bigger than the Champions League Cup.

Just seen the trophy presentation photo in the West Briton.

On reflection it was a generous gesture by Falmouth to play at Treyew Rd. -giving Truro some gate takings and to defend a Trophy which was obviously leaving the Bickland cabinet.

First competed for in 1988/89 season on the first competitive meeting of the season and last played for 2001-02 ?? in which time both clubs won it 5 times with three drawn.

The last time 2001-02 it ended 3-3 at Falmouth and the Trophy has been held at Bickland since.