Cornwall Football Forum

2007/08 Cornwall Senior Cup Final - Saltash United 2 Truro City 3

Saltash could have nicked it - they were easily the best team in the last 15 mins.

Very professional programme and at £1 excellent value.

Any news on the attendance? - looked about 800 to me.

Well done to Truro, but I think this match shows they are still not that far ahead of the other top teams in Cornwall.

I think its very hard to judge Truros league form when their playing some poor sides. Id put money on the top 8 of the SWPL would finish above most of that league easily. Somtimes playing in a harder league, like they will be next season, will help long term. The SWPL is off a half decent standard really.

Well done to Wadebridge for hosting the final, Saltash were a very good outfit and unlucky not to take it to a replay.

In reply to Stig Radio Cornwall decided not to broadcast it this season I don't know why perhaps Dave D can enlighten us, also well done lads a hat trick of victories but still 2 behind Falmouth Towns all time record of 5 in a row.

Guest Man on the Post

Paul, it’s very difficult to say how teams will do in a league based on cup performances. I think that the SWPL teams would hold their own in the Western League Premier, but would struggle, (without strengthening), to finish in the top six. Corsham, Dawlish, Willand, Welton and Bideford are very good sides. I wouldn't like to see you lose any money betting on it! :thumbsup:

What a shame this game did not go to a replay. In the last 20 minutes Truro looked in almost total dissaray as Saltash tried their damdest to score a deserved winner. Unfortunately for Saltash the Truro winner was a bit iffy as I think it was Watkins who scored. The ball seemed to hit him high in the chest before he scooped the ball into the net with his hands which had a few Truro fans having a good laugh over it.

Good sized crowd and well organised by Wadebridge Town FC. There is no reason I can think of why Saltash cannot win the Peninsula League title.

Saltash could have nicked it - they were easily the best team in the last 15 mins.

Very professional programme and at £1 excellent value.

Any news on the attendance? - looked about 800 to me.

Well done to Truro, but I think this match shows they are still not that far ahead of the other top teams in Cornwall.

Yes all credit to Saltash who played well and were able to up their game in the last 15 mins,but it must also be remembered this was the 3rd tough game that Truro have had against good opposition in the last 4 days,and at the end of the day is bound to take its toll.As Dave Leonard said at the begining of the season after Truro won the F.A. Vase,every game this season will be like a cup final,and that has turned out to be true,as most teams seem to up their game when they play against Truro.

Perhaps today wasnt one of Truro's best performances,but as they say,it's the mark of a good team that get a good result even when they are not playing at their best.

Well done to both teams.

KIT.

must also be remembered this was the 3rd tough game that Truro have had against good opposition in the last 4 days,and at the end of the day is bound to take its toll

It's not really much of an excuse considering Truro's starting line-up on Saturday only included two that started on the day before!

As for the officials Postie Pidge:-

Junior Cup : Ref - Ashley Hockin (Kilkhampton); Assts - Roger Sleep (St Breward) and Luke Wilkes (Mount Ambrose); 4th - Steve Annis (Mawgan)

Senior Cup : Ref - Rigas Gatzianidis (Helston); Assts - Simon Harris & Neil Harvey (Penzance); 4th - Ian Roberts (Camborne)

Guest Postie Pidge

Am I right in assuming that because of Truro playing at a high level that limits the referees who can officiate in the final? They must be refereed by a level 4 or above?

Guest Man on the Post

It's not really much of an excuse considering Truro's starting line-up on Saturday only included two that started on the day before!

Nevertheless Dave, a very testing time for the Truro management preparing for 3 different opponents in four days, don't you think? Made even more difficult with one being a cup final and another against their main league rivals. How did you cope with this type of situation in your management career? :D :yahoo:

Guest tom@white tigers

I couldn't make the match yesterday but from what i've heard it was a very close match.

Can anyone tell me the players from yesterday game?