Cornwall Football Forum

Any new "Legends"?

Surprised not to see Dave Wadd on the list. Played (in Cornwall) for Penzance, Cornwall Police and Falmouth Town (mainly reserves) as well as Cornwall and managed Penzance for over a decade, Falmouth Town and Barnstaple Town (I believe)

He was a powerful, uncompromising centre half in his day (Dave Wadd) although it doesn't state that it's only on the playing side.

The real legends should be Mr Penzance, John Mead. Playing career cut short through injury but club captain who stood in as goalkeeper during the 1973 Senior Cup Final, keeping a clean sheet in the process and has fulfilled almost if not every role at the club.

Mr and Mrs Newquay, Brian and Sandra Biggin. Brian was another one club man, playing in defence and worked in almost every capacity up until his death. Sandra too has helped the club in many areas and wrote a well known book about the club.

Mr and Mrs Liskeard, Dave and Nancy Rawlings. I don't know much but they have followed the club through thick and thin.

Mr Carharrack, Bill Chown. Played for the club and still involved with other family members.

Nigel Jewell, a legend as a referee and forum member but also a player with Chacewater and I think Goonhavern.

Just now, Mike Odgers said:

Mike Young (sec) & Peter Young (chairman) have been at Penryn Athletic since day 1 (early 1960's)

I forgot them, and Anthony Retallack as well (I think that's his name)

21 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Roger Toms - at least 286 goals in the Combo

John Matthews - scored his first Combo goal for Mousehole on  15/1/1977 and his last for Ludgvan on 3/1/2011, but his playing career was longer.

Added - but sorry guys, it is for players rather than any other positions held at clubs

Possible nomination from me is long serving Penzance goalkeeper Paul Williams. I understand he is hanging the gloves up at the end of this season. Not sure how many years or games for Pz. I expect CTB would know!

36 minutes ago, magpie291 said:

Possible nomination from me is long serving Penzance goalkeeper Paul Williams. I understand he is hanging the gloves up at the end of this season. Not sure how many years or games for Pz. I expect CTB would know!

Made his debut in 1986

22 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Joe Partridge (Liskeard Athletic & Falmouth Town)

Added. Remember as a kid, watching him at Liskeard's Lux Park. Wasn't aware he had played for Falmouth however! Presumably not too many games?

21 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

John Mead. Playing career cut short through injury but club captain who stood in as goalkeeper during the 1973 Senior Cup Final, keeping a clean sheet in the process

Added

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Added. Remember as a kid, watching him at Liskeard's Lux Park. Wasn't aware he had played for Falmouth however! Presumably not too many games?

Added

Joe Partridge played for Falmouth at the end of the 1962/63 season after Roger Berry (another legend) moved to Barnstaple, and Rex Manhire was injured. He won the SWLC with Falmouth. He was one of several keepers who featured according to Mr O.

Brian Mitchell, another goalkeeper who started with Nanpean at 15 and also played for Newquay, St Austell and Bugle amongst others.

Roger Toms played for Newquay SWL in 1975/76.