Cornwall Football Forum

The "high foot" challenge debate....

Mangle

Right, let me kick this off (no pun intended)! Firstly, I think that Jerome's goal for Norwich should have stood, and I do not think Adrian (West Ham goalkeeper) should have been sent off against Leicester.

However, I do have "doubts" in both cases. I can see why the referee in each case made their decision. Imagine, just for a minute, that Jerome had missed the ball and kicked the other fellow in the head. Red card? And imagine at the same time that Adrian had controlled the ball without contact with another player, and kept the ball in play. No action/card etc.

So, the referee has made a decision in Jerome's case of something that "did not happen" (I mean that no contact was made with another player etc), but what could have happened, and the other ref made a decision based on what did happen (a guy got kicked in the chest). But he take into consideration "intent"? Both players had their foot rather high, and arguably in a "dangerous" position. But it is only dangerous if it can hurt someone. Right? However, maybe an opponent would be "put off" a challenge in case of a boot in the head, so any high-foot play should be penalised.

The poor old ref, in each case, has to make a split second decision, without the viewing of a HD replay from 4 different angles, and is alone in his decision, not with 10 team-mates to back him up or 35,000 other fans to chant what should happen.

I think that Norwich should feel hard done by, but get their teeth into the rest of the season (I am sure another decision somewhere along the line will go for them), and West Ham should appeal the sending off, and I reckon it will be overturned.

But what do I know....

Right, let me kick this off (no pun intended)! Firstly, I think that Jerome's goal for Norwich should have stood, and I do not think Adrian (West Ham goalkeeper) should have been sent off against Leicester.

However, I do have "doubts" in both cases. I can see why the referee in each case made their decision. Imagine, just for a minute, that Jerome had missed the ball and kicked the other fellow in the head. Red card? And imagine at the same time that Adrian had controlled the ball without contact with another player, and kept the ball in play. No action/card etc.

So, the referee has made a decision in Jerome's case of something that "did not happen" (I mean that no contact was made with another player etc), but what could have happened, and the other ref made a decision based on what did happen (a guy got kicked in the chest). But he take into consideration "intent"? Both players had their foot rather high, and arguably in a "dangerous" position. But it is only dangerous if it can hurt someone. Right? However, maybe an opponent would be "put off" a challenge in case of a boot in the head, so any high-foot play should be penalised.

The poor old ref, in each case, has to make a split second decision, without the viewing of a HD replay from 4 different angles, and is alone in his decision, not with 10 team-mates to back him up or 35,000 other fans to chant what should happen.

I think that Norwich should feel hard done by, but get their teeth into the rest of the season (I am sure another decision somewhere along the line will go for them), and West Ham should appeal the sending off, and I reckon it will be overturned.

But what do I know....

Nothing?

Are you therefore saying that both decisions were correct? I can live with that, and although as I said I think that Jerome's goal for Norwich should have stood, and I do not think the West Ham goalkeeper should have been sent off against Leicester, I would not be "agreeing" that mistakes were made. I do believe this is a tough one. Imagine a player in 30 yards of space being passed a ball, but having to use a "high foot" to control it. Would that be "dangerous play and therefore a foul"?

Personally, I've always felt that far too much is made of this high foot business. I do not believe that any player sets out to kick another player in the teeth - head etc, by these so called, 'high tackles'. (yes ok, you may know someone who did).

The ball is there to be won and either player has a right to go for it, to win it or to bring it under control. Some brave players go in with their head and yes, occasionally they catch a boot in the teeth or where ever. I do not think it should be an automatic booking, yellow or red. If a situation looks dangerous it's up to the individual player to decide on the spur of the moment, what he's going to do - and remember - it is always a spur of the moment thing. 

Referees should be given a discretionary power over this sort of tackle. He makes his decision and so long as he can back up that decision on paper if necessary, that should be the end of it. 

Perhaps I should end by saying - I did not watch this match. My opinion is a general one.

Harald Schumacher1982 world cup semi final, Battiston lost two teeth broke three ribs and cracked a vertebra, Schumacher had no intent other than stop the player at any cost, jumping high to ensure maximum damage.

I think that could lead to all sorts of problems for an acting referee. You already know the flack refs get, imagine on top of that his views of other refs decisions being brought into disputes. And also remember that players never get things wrong and never cheat (or try to get the better of a ref by all sorts of shenanigans).

I was meaning locally. He will be subjected to the "normal" abuse a ref gets now during games in which he officiates. Should he start casting his personal opinions on decisions like this, on a public forum, then these opinions could be used against him as an intensification of the present "normal abuse".

In any case, it's great having this kind of neutral input, factual as opposed to opinionated, to assist us (that know everything anyway) in our debates!

Richard, of course I disagree with some refereeing decisions that I see the difference is I will not post my opinion of that on a public forum , exactly the same as I will never comment about players and managers.

What's wrong with disagreeing with a fellow referee's decision?

Because the media (you) would be all over it like a rash LOL