Cornwall Football Forum

Which players are good enough to go up?

I know I am counting my chickens but I thought it would be interesting to get peoples' opinions on which players are good enough to play in the Southern Premier. Here's my opinion:

Martin Rice (Yes); Great shot stopper and good on crosses. He's not bad at penalties either! You can see the defence has confidence in him and that makes a huge difference to how the team plays.

Dan Stevenson (Yes); will struggle to get in the side if Rice signs next season but is more than a capable replacement.

Barry McConnell (No); Has been caught out too many times this season. He will struggle even more next season when has less time on the ball.

Jake Ash (Yes); He has been the most consistent player over the last three seasons. Quick, strong and good in the air - everything you look for in a defender.

Tom Smith (Yes); I have had my concerns about Smith this season as he lacks pace. However, he has re-found his form recently and I believe he is good enough for the division.

Graeme Power (Yes); Solid, experienced and good on the ball. Links up well with Walker and that will be a key part of next season's success.

Martin Watts (Yes); Good in defence but even better up front. His pace is frightening and he is also very strong making life difficult for defenders.

Karl Baker (No); Hasn't been given a chance at this level which would make me think McCarthy does not think he is good enough for this level.

Andy Taylor (Yes); Gives his all every game and has the ability to match. Could play Conference South.

Joe Broad (Yes); Every team needs a play maker and Broad is the best passer in the team. He has played at a higher level and it shows.

Danny Clay (Yes); If he stays he will be a key player next season. Got a lot of fight about him and he is very confortable on the ball.

Marcus Martin (Yes); He plays with a lot of heart. He and Broad have a good understanding and complement each others' playing styles well.

Matt Hockley (No); Not good enough. Although he works hard and is a good tackler, he isn't a good passer of the ball and is at the bottom of the pecking order in midfield.

Stewart Yetton (Yes); He is the best finisher in the side. Although he has lost his form of late, he will be a useful player in the Southern Prem.

Andy Watkins (Yes); He is improving all aspects of his game but his pace is his best asset and he uses it to good effect. It helps that he has a fantastic first touch.

Liam Eddy (Yes); Bright prospect but we shouldn't expect too much.

Pretty much agree with you Dan Thomas.

A question mark hangs over Stewart Yetton with his shoulder injury.?

There will be a few additions.

Bradley Bubb's name has been mentioned,but I think he will get snapped up by a London club.

Think we will need a big powerful striker,plus a big dominating center half,allowing Jake to play right back.

Do you think anyone will leave,for league football.?

Rumour,has it a couple of players are on the radar of our local league teams.

Intresting.

It's always difficult to draw the line between being sentimental and being ruthless. I'm not sure that the squad really needs trimming but if we're going to keep ahead of our rivals and aim to dominate next season as well then more quality needs to be added. A big target man needs to be added for holding up the ball and to counter act powerful defences for games like Beaconsfield. Another play maker to give Broady competition. A new right back for sure and probably another attacking midfielder who can dribble and get at the full back. We really struggled against Winchester because we didnt have someone to grab the ball and commit defenders.

Its harsh but we're really now looking for players who could play a couple of leagues above where we are now if we want to keep progressing. We need to keep the momentum going for as long as possible.

Who knows we may get some players in on loan, or some kids coming through our youth teams. A couple of big name signings are always good though to raise the profile of the club.

A very good point about looking to bring youngsters in from your youth teams. I think that need to cast your net further and look at bringing in youngsters from any youth team in the county. Many people won't like me saying this, but this is an ideal opprtunity for young players to potentially progress into pro football. We ahve never had a team in this sort of standard and it will provide great opportunities form many of the countys youngsters.

Truro need to look after these players and be realisitc in what they achieve and how long they will stay. Some may pass through quickly to higher things, not because they are the best in the team but due to their potential. This is where the problem lies!!

Play your best team and these lads may not get a look in and fail to progress, or look out for the youngsters interests but weaken your team? Do you look after the team or the place the youngster first? Hopefully you can do both.

Good luck.

You dont have to have tons of youngsters, I think a handful of the best (potentially) Cornish youngsters in the squad would be a great thing. Maybe stick one of two of them on the bench so they learn from being in a more professional environment. If we're going to buy a couple of ex pros who could still play at a higher standard then what those guys bring potentially is a good thing for the young guns to be exposed to. Don't forget on top of 40 odd league games, no doubt we'll be looking for a better FA Cup run next year, and hopefully get through a few more rounds of the FA Trophy. These competitions although not being as important as the league, do bring the spot light to focus on the club, and if we have got some good youngsters, put them in the shop window.

Additionally an interesting point to take into account is that a lot of footballers maybe out of work after the summer due to cut backs that clubs maybe forced into. Could this be to our advantage and pick up some real gems?

So Matt Hockley who was playing for Torquay Utd in the conference 12 months ago, is no longer good enough???

No he's not good enough, what's your point?

Got to agree with you on this one Dan.I wish we had Kevin Wills still playing for us this season.

We had this last season,

the league not finished,

the championship not secured,

so called fans critical of their own players.

Until the last ball is kicked they are all needed.

negative comments do not help player morale.

Matt Hockley & Barry McConnell must be saving

their best performances for us away fans.

To be honest I don't think you'll find that much difference between the two leagues, they're pretty much of a muchness at this level.

I only have concerns over the goal keeper, yes a great shot stopper but too hesitant and undesisive on crosses and other high balls into the area, Tom Smith seems to have re-discovered some of his earlier form, great in the air but a bit suspect when attackers run straight at him, but hey ho a team is made up of many players each with their own pluses and minuses, if they were all fault free then they would be plying their trade as full professionals at league clubs.

Goals against have been a little more this season than most but thats the joy about moving up the ladder, one central defender, one attacking midfielder and one defending midfielder is all that is needed in the next league up.

To be honest I don't think you'll find that much difference between the two leagues, they're pretty much of a muchness at this level.

You know more about it than I do, but I've been hearing some version of "not next year but the year after, it'll get tough" for the last three years!

So . . . when will it be a "step up" for the side City have? (I'm not suggesting you're not right, that's an honest question about the leagues.)