Cornwall Football Forum

Beaconsfield SYCOB need help to survive.

Yesterday Beaconsfield SYCOB completed the double over Truro City, this feat was even more remarkable considering the plight they are in financially, indications from the article (link below) suggests a further amalgamation with another club may be the only way out of their difficulties, Burnham on the outskirts of Slough are reported to be in a financial straightjacket and could be a possibility for a merger but I doubt if either club would want to move home, thousands of clubs are facing closure but the Football Association appear to be doing nothing to awaken the masses that one of their greatest local assets is in danger of disappearing.

If parent clubs fold, youth teams could also disappear, what would be left for the youngsters to do?

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/spo...vive-recession/

This is really what bugs me,about the modern up to date footballer.

If Mr Ronaldo,Terry,Gerrard or the so called top money earners just for one week donated their wages to

a lower league team in trouble,what a help that would be.

Will they.?

Like hell.

Greedy b-----ds.

They dont give a s---,about the lower leagues,to busy on the town[Cashly Cole] to worry about that.

Its - Slough Youth Club Old Boys.

The club ground share with Slough Town FC - as can be seen from the article - its a nice ground and facilities but it is in the middle of nowhere - the turn-off is on a busy stretch of dual-carriageway and is easily missed - not a house in sight - just surrounded by woodlands and busy roads.

Still - its another one to 'chalk-up' on the list of grounds visited.

Cheers Big G.

Yes it was a very interesting and honest assessment from the Beaconsfield Chairman and should be a warning to all of us during this downward economic climate.

I can see his pessimism with Slough Town groundsharing at Beaconsfield at this moment with future plans for Slough to move sometime into their own new ground.

Thank you BigG for answering Mike Odgers 'SYCOB' query.

Mike, I was speaking to someone from Beaconsfield on Saturday and the conversation drifted towards club finance, I mentioned that I thought the Truro players had responded brilliantly bearing in mind they had their wages cut in half, the response I got from the Beaconsfield gentleman was "What our players get barely covers expenses".

It is remarkable Beaconsfield Sycob have a team of their quality, playing at level 4 of the football pyramid.

The article highlighted that it was the OLDER generation who were keeping the club in existance, this sentiment applies to many clubs, travelling about there is little evidence of younger involvement, the very young are enjoying their youth, the next age brackket are bringing up their families and further up the pecking order that group have got use to staying at home, few take the HEALTHY OPTION, walk to the ground, meet other people and feel alive.

I suppose it helps for clubs like Beaconsfield that they are in an area where there are more quality players available.

This will always be a struggle for clubs like Truro City in Cornwall. They can really only look east for players and therefore occuring more costs to get players to come down. It will get even harder to attract them if Truro do go up another level and then one more!!

Tiverton Town struggle enough at the moment!!

Spot on Darren, Mr. H's input levels the playing field that tilts against clubs like Truro City, the professional clubs in the big cities welcome the benefit of being able to farm out their young hopefuls to gain experience at a very competitive level, on the other hand the saturation of the number of clubs vying for support, tilts the scales back the other way. It's is a pity those who occasionally support the football league/premiership clubs fail to attend the local clubs games when not doings so, oh I forgot, on those days they are probably saving to afford those occasional visits to the higher standard of football.

Non League football clubs are a bit like supermarket offers:_ WHEN IT'S GONE IT'S GONE.