Cornwall Football Forum

area final

Guest spurs03

Guest spurs03

constantine afc ask asked me to put this message on here.

constantine would like to know why the area final was called off ,when the

pitch at 2pm was perfect for the match to go ahead,the rain was just what the pitch needed.

when someone from constantine walked the pitch they thought it was good,but then pidge walked

the pitch and as he came off he said that it would be called off. would also like to know what time the

referee looked at the pitch?. constantine also heard that athletic was also short of players ?.isnt pidge

involved with athletic ?. so could the referee please confirm what time he inspected the pitch and called it

off ?.

(1) was athletic short of players ?

(2) did pidge call the game off ?

(3) did the referee check the pitch ?

any answers would be appreciated, constantine afc

Don't tell me we are looking for more controversey. I dont suppose for one instant that Athletic had any real influence on it being called off. You can't call your own league games these days without a ref say, so what chance a final.

That aside did you noticed the weather last night, it Pi**ed it down. No-one would want a Final to be played in that rubbish. So who ever called it off got it spot on..................

:clapper:

Guest Postie Pidge

Thank you Big Breakfast!

The match was called off because the pitch was unplayable. There was standing water in more than one spot that was an inch deep. When the groundsman tried but couldn't mark the pitch because it was so wet.

Anyone who looked could see that the pitch was unplayable, and I have no idea how many players Athletic had or didn't have. I play for the second team but was registered for another club in this competition. I agree with Mad Dog that players are spoilt and expect to play on perfect pitches nowadays unlike the good old mud baths off years gone by but Bickland suffered from the heavy hail showers.

Regarding this cup final, I am wearing my Falmouth Town cap, I hope the best team wins - we didn't want to cancel the game, we can't afford to cancel the game but if the pitch isn't playable what else can be done. Try again next Wednesday.

Firstly I would suggest the easiest way to find out if a ref called the game off is to get the Constantine secretary to ring the FA and ask.

Bearing in mind previous posts about ref's insisting they saw pitches before games were cancelled when we had ice and snow it certainly should have been an independent ref who called this important game off.

Credit to Postie for replying quickly, but to use your analogy "you can’t change your hat to suit the occasion". Having correctly informed the FA of your opinion that the pitch was unfit, the FA should send a local ref for an inspection to decide. (No offence but as a matter of fact as you are signed on for Athletic seconds you cannot be seen as independent)

I didn't see the pitch so I don't know if it was fit or not.

I do live close to the ground, contrary to what Big Breakfast says it didn't rain in Falmouth after the heavy hail at lunchtime on Wednesday. I also drove past the Falmouth School about 4pm, about a 1/4 mile away and there was a game on “posers" opposite the Fire Station, but then all pitches drain differently.

It would be good if the FA told us who the ref was who called it off, but I'm sure they will not reply on here.

Postie perhaps you can answer the question if the FA sent a ref to inspect the pitch or not?

If not I don't blame you but them, in the interest of integrity they should have done.

Either way, as you say game on next Wednesday- May the best team on the night win, and Town will get their much needed income from the bar take then.

Guest Postie Pidge

I phoned Chris Coombes and sought his advice and I told him that I didn' think the game would be on, he told me he didn't think it would be and told me to contact CCFA.

I spoke to Barry Cudmore and told him the same, that I didn't think the pitch was playable and that there was surface water. He said that he half expected it to be off, bearing in mind he went to check Liskeard's pitch in the morning and that had been called off first.

I said we were prepared to play it but on the safety aspect wouldn't advise it. If a referee had inspected it I'm sure he sould have made the same decision.

It doesn't matter how much rain or hail fell in the afternoon, it was the amount on the pitch that put pay to the game. The groundsmen forked the pitch in the morning after the barrage of the night before and the biggest puddles were on the spots that had already been forked.

Yes we need rain but after the dry spell, when it rained a much as it did there was nowhere for the water to go. Poser's will always drain well because of the slope - like I'm sure Trebarvah Road does as well! :lol:

Credit to Postie for replying quickly, but to use your analogy "you can’t change your hat to suit the occasion". Having correctly informed the FA of your opinion that the pitch was unfit, the FA should send a local ref for an inspection to decide. (No offence but as a matter of fact as you are signed on for Athletic seconds you cannot be seen as independent)

I am signed on for the seconds, I only play for the seconds. I didn't speak to anyone from Athletic so how am I supposed to know if they had players out. I know that on Saturday they had a game and Constantine didn't but that's beside the point. My task is/was to make sure everything is in order for the occasion. The fact we had more volunteers to help out (to keep the ball off the pitch) and the food had already been bought for after the game, neither side had any influence on the decision and because I don't favour either side, I'm just glad a team from the area will be represented on Easter Monday - all the more reason to go along.

Athletic seem to be in the spotlight a lot at the moment and this just sounds like another witch hunt, if it was called off it was called for a reason not because Athletic were short which is basically all anyone seems to be trying to stir up here.

ONLY JUST DRIVEN BACK HOME SO THIS IS A LITTLE LATE BUT TONIGHT'S GAME IS POSTPONED DUE WATERLOGGED PITCH.

IT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR NEXT WEDNESDAY (11TH MARCH) AT BICKLAND PARK, FALMOUTH.

KICK OFF 7.30 PM AND PLAYED TO A FINISH THIS TIME.

SIMILAR PLANS ARE BEING PUT INTO PLACE FOR THE EAST FINAL AT LUX PARK.

This may answer the question.

Guest WINNO

DO YOU THINK ITS WISE THAT THE COMBO TEAM PLAY ON BICLAND ON MONDAY NIGHT WITH A BIG GAME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PREDICTION IF THEY DO.....WEDNESDAY GAME OFF...............

im sure if theres no heavy rain between tonights game and wensday then the pitch will be fine, it usually is ok after 2 games in midweek, falmouth town cant cancel a league fixture because there is a game 2 days later otherwise they would never play all the fixtures scheduled for both sides

i think pidge was acting in the best interest of the players of both sides, yeah he plays for athletic 2ndsbut he probably knows nearly all of the tine players 2, he is the fal town secretary and is acting as so for the occasion

after just returning from watching falmouth 2nds against culdrose my prediction for wednesday is that the game will be called off pitch turned into a mud bath and its still raining as i am writing this post.

I understand that town have to play there games aswell but surley a bit of commen sence was needed tonight either by the club or the ccfa. surley the cup final should take priority over a lge game with no more than 25 people watching last time out the game drew an massive gate and a great atmosphere which is much needed revenue for both club and county bank balances.

will the ccfa be looking for a different venue if the game has to be re arranged again.

Guest spurs03

constantine phoned the ccfa ealier this week asking whether the match between town and culdrose

would go ahead. as they thought it would put the area final in doubt,and they were told that the ccfa

would get the combo game called off and the final would take preference, I have just got back

from the town match and it was a discrace that the combo played tonight,as I believe looking

at the pitch before kick off that there would have been a good chance the final could have gone

ahead if there was a dry day tomorrow,and wednesday.why have the ccfa got double standards,

five weeks ago we were due to play carharrack in a league match,and carharrack phoned constantine

up saying that the pitch is still frozen and the game is called off, and they were trying to save themselves

money,and also constantine the journey,and the ccfa told them that they had to wait for the referee to

get to the ground before the game could be called off,and when he got there it was called off.richard chown

is a qualified referee but they still said that they had to wait. its a complete JOKE. :SM_carton: :SM_carton:

Guest Postie Pidge

The reason the Combo game was tonight is because Falmouth are behind on their games and by playing it two days before the final was to give it a chance to recover. We can't help or predict the weather.

pidge thats a poor excuse. you or anybody at the club only had to look at the forcast for the next few days to realise that the rain was due!!! but i agree at the start of the game the pitch was fine not as good as last wednesday but it was fine.

if the ccfa have said that the final was to take preference then yeah, how was that pitch that wasnt fit to be played on last week ment to recover in 2 days when we have had more rain this week than we did last?

Well to all you guys on this FHL blog ( as i am usually on the league aboves one) trying to understand Isaac's posts you lot don't half go on and on and moan!! i have been divorced twice and it does remind me of those wonderful days!! My first ex said i thought more of Man U than of her! and my reply was i thought more of Man city than you :yahoo: