Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey v Buckland Athletic

St Blazey 0-4 Buckland Athletic :(

Attendance: around 120 (30ish from Buckland)

St Blazey were always second best against a bigger and stronger Buckland. Having said that, St Blazey played good football at times and should really have scored a couple.

Heard some Buckland fans after the game saying they thought it should have been 7 or 8, but think they must have been watching a different game to me :blink:

No panic - ironically I think this was a better performance than on Boxing Day when we beat Falmouth 4-0!

St Blazey 0 v 4 Buckland.

It will went wrong before wed even entered the ground!! Needing some much needed motivating in the quest to beat a top 3 side, youd think some music as the players warm up like 'eye of the tiger' or something to that effect anyway, but no........the classic Fernando from Abba!! What the bloody hell is this was one reply!!

From the start the Blazey players matched Buckland for the first 20 minutes without either side creating much. All looked promising but Buckland soon took control and had at least 4 good chances to score before the first goal came. The opening goal came as Buckler in the Blazey goal came out to challenge but brought the player down. Yellow card when it looked odds on a red. He almost saved it to but from then on it was all Buckland.

The second half continued as the first half ended, with Buckland well in control. Another bloody awful challenge gave away another pen for 2-0. A long cross and low volley made it 3 and a quality free kick over what is the shortest wall in football, made it 4-0. Only then did St Blazey test the Buckland keeper and should have scored twice with one header going wide at 3-0 and another fantastic chance that was headed at the keeper with not a challenge in sight.

To sum up, well beaten by a side who will easily finish in the top 4. They have some good players, can pass well, and against St Blazey it looked men against boys in terms of height as well. St Blazey just cannot compete with teams like that. They lack height at the back, and barly have anyone over 5 foot up front.

Crowd tonight around 120. A good bunch travelled from Buckland which was great to see as we havnt seen many (if any) from most other new Devon sides. A good bit of banter to, pity the match wasnt a bit more even to really get the crowd going!!

Happy new year everyone........im off to watch Arsenal v Argyle on saturday. :thumbsup:

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division tues dec 30

30/12/2008 St Blazey 0 - 4 Buckland

1 Bodmin 17 15 1 1 47 9 38 46

2 Buckland 21 13 3 5 51 30 21 42

3 Parkway 20 12 4 4 59 26 33 40

4 Ivybridge 20 12 3 5 51 36 15 39

5 Saltash 17 10 2 5 43 21 22 32

6 Dartmouth 18 10 2 6 39 28 11 32

7 Tavistock 16 10 2 4 31 24 7 32

8 Launceston 17 9 2 6 44 37 7 29

9 Torpoint 19 8 3 8 41 45 -4 27

10 Clyst 15 7 2 6 32 32 0 23

11 St Blazey 18 7 1 10 34 45 -11 22

12 Wadebridge 14 5 4 5 20 21 -1 19

13 Falmouth 17 6 1 10 25 40 -15 19

14 Cullompton 13 6 0 7 30 27 3 18

15 Newton Spurs 19 4 2 13 21 43 -22 14

16 Witheridge 17 3 4 10 22 28 -6 13

17 Holsworthy 19 3 1 15 19 70 -51 10

18 Liskeard 14 2 1 11 13 34 -21 7

19 Elburton 15 1 2 12 18 44 -26 5

Guest Peppermint

Interesting point about the league table standings at the moment is that Buckland have played 21 games and at the other end of the scale Cullompton have only played 13. Until some of the games in hand by a lot of clubs are played it is a very misleading table.

St Blazey were always second best against a bigger and stronger Buckland. Having said that, St Blazey played good football at times and should really have scored a couple.

Heard some Buckland fans after the game saying they thought it should have been 7 or 8, but think they must have been watching a different game to me :blink:

No panic - ironically I think this was a better performance than on Boxing Day when we beat Falmouth 4-0!

Hi Dan,

Christmas came late/early for you at Falmouth on Boxing Day! You weren't four goals better and Town should have had at least two! At least you won't have to suffer our funpacked slimline programme again until next season!! Also regarding the KO time-it was originally 3pm,we asked for 11am and Blazey said it was too early and you preferred 1pm,so 1pm it was!! Good to see you guys that came down.

Happy New Year to one and all!!

Hi Dan,

Christmas came late/early for you at Falmouth on Boxing Day! You weren't four goals better and Town should have had at least two! At least you won't have to suffer our funpacked slimline programme again until next season!! Also regarding the KO time-it was originally 3pm,we asked for 11am and Blazey said it was too early and you preferred 1pm,so 1pm it was!! Good to see you guys that came down.

Happy New Year to one and all!!

Fair do's!

I understand official attendance was recorded as 102.