Cornwall Football Forum

Money Cut Off at Penzance: don't let the club go bust !

Just writing to express my sympathy for Penzance AFC now that everybody is saying there will be no more pay for players after Xmas. Especially when the people brought in from distance are much more highly paid than local players, unprofitable discord can arise which is bad for team and club morale. Most people agree that paying money to attract players to our not particularly high standards of local football is an absolute scourge and that will all end in tears anyway.

Penzance AFC is an important community resource with a ground owned by the local council. With the clubhouse hardly used and about to be built on; and all the mess on the top side of the ground from the rebuilding that stalled ; and the building game spiralling into recession, cutting off the money is a prudent move by the people who run the club to safeguard the proud name of the Magpies for future generations . Quite right too.

No intention of writing a classic, John, although it's kind of you to be so complimentary. Like my friend from Hayle, I am a simple seeker after truth and justice. I'm also very sorry if any of my postings are factually inaccurate. I respect your judgement, as always. Would you be kind enough to inform us all of the true situation by explaining which facts are inaccurate and in which way ?

We are in recession, particularly the building trade. The word is that Penzance AFC are unable to honour the financial expectations of players for the whole season. Pulling in one's horns before bankruptcy is a far more honourable course of action than leaving surprised and dissatisfied creditors, whatever the legal position.

As Penzance is the biggest and most important Penwith club, the little satellites from the humble villages around look up with wonder and regard at its affairs like small children admiring an elder sibling. Can you not vouchsafe to us some inkling of the proceedings of your Committee in staving off ruin ?

I understand that an application to bring your first team down to the JCCL would need to in by 31 December.

No intention of writing a classic, John, although it's kind of you to be so complimentary. Like my friend from Hayle, I am a simple seeker after truth and justice. I'm also very sorry if any of my postings are factually inaccurate. I respect your judgement, as always. Would you be kind enough to inform us all of the true situation by explaining which facts are inaccurate and in which way ?

We are in recession, particularly the building trade. The word is that Penzance AFC are unable to honour the financial expectations of players for the whole season. Pulling in one's horns before bankruptcy is a far more honourable course of action than leaving surprised and dissatisfied creditors, whatever the legal position.

As Penzance is the biggest and most important Penwith club, the little satellites from the humble villages around look up with wonder and regard at its affairs like small children admiring an elder sibling. Can you not vouchsafe to us some inkling of the proceedings of your Committee in staving off ruin ?

I understand that an application to bring your first team down to the JCCL would need to in by 31 December.

Rodney after wasting thousands bringing half of Camborne down to play for St.Just over the last few years, why don't you tell us how much you have got left!

The sad thing is you are one of the main reasons why some teams have to pay players in the combo. Paying out fees for certain players to sign then go chasing other clubs for money when they leave. I have witnessed your antics first hand so don't deny it.

During that period of "wasted money", St Just won the Combo Cup twice, lifting their first senior trophies for 26 years. Scorers in finals included Matt Harris, who was never paid a cent although he does come from Troon, Shane Richards(3) and Karl Turner (oh, I think Penzace paid him even more the following season, funny, that).

Obviously St Just are a little village club, unable to compete with a big senior outfit like Penzance. How many Combo cups have founder-members Penzance won since 1959 ? You did come close a few years ago...well done.... but were unlucky enough to go out 4-1 to St Just in the semi at Hayle.

The silence is deafening. What is in your trophy room ? A threadbare carpet.

I am delighted to see the pink-clad mercenaries of Penlee Park leading the way for Penwith in the SWPL, but will they stay there if the money has all gone ? It would be great to see your club winning a trophy too. I seem to remember one or two in the days of Terence Williams, Willie Thomas, Ian Hart and Tony Kellow when I was a child. I'll be fifty next birthday.

You ask me how much money I've got ! What a question ! I don't know. Enough to work because I enjoy it rather than because I have to.

St Just AFC own their own ground, are in the black and have NEVER paid players....unlike Pz, judging from recent rumours of insolvency. I'm glad to say that during my ten years as Secretary and/or Chair, I never took a penny out of the club...and I never would. At present I am just a supporter, not an officer of any club....thus this glorious newfound freedom of speech and writing !

All this moaning about money. My childhood memory is of good players at St Just being haemorrhaged to Penzance because of the incentives the club offered in the days when it was regularly watched by 600-800. My childhood dream was to redress that balance...and for many years I did. In that universe, St Just are the plucky underdogs;David;300 Spartans,Luke Skywalker, Poland in 1939. Penzance become Goliath, King Zerxes, the Evil Empire, the Third Reich.

There are all sorts of reasons why paying players can damage clubs....and all sorts of realities that indicate that, sadly, amateurism has its glass ceiling. Both Goonhavern and Mousehole achieved success by building a consistent side without money...but both have hit hard times since. I'm paying nothing into St Just at present because I think the club and I mutually agree that it is better that I do not. But I would never support any policy that impoverished the club itself and would, if asked, help it out if it ever faced the kind of hard times penzance seem to be facing.

Does your club have anybody equally reliable in the long term, St Justice ? :D

During that period of "wasted money", St Just won the Combo Cup twice, lifting their first senior trophies for 26 years. Scorers in finals included Matt Harris, who was never paid a cent although he does come from Troon, Shane Richards(3) and Karl Turner (oh, I think Penzace paid him even more the following season, funny, that).

Obviously St Just are a little village club, unable to compete with a big senior outfit like Penzance. How many Combo cups have founder-members Penzance won since 1959 ? You did come close a few years ago...well done.... but were unlucky enough to go out 4-1 to St Just in the semi at Hayle.

The silence is deafening. What is in your trophy room ? A threadbare carpet.

I am delighted to see the pink-clad mercenaries of Penlee Park leading the way for Penwith in the SWPL, but will they stay there if the money has all gone ? It would be great to see your club winning a trophy too. I seem to remember one or two in the days of Terence Williams, Willie Thomas, Ian Hart and Tony Kellow when I was a child. I'll be fifty next birthday.

You ask me how much money I've got ! What a question ! I don't know. Enough to work because I enjoy it rather than because I have to.

St Just AFC own their own ground, are in the black and have NEVER paid players....unlike Pz, judging from recent rumours of insolvency. I'm glad to say that during my ten years as Secretary and/or Chair, I never took a penny out of the club...and I never would. At present I am just a supporter, not an officer of any club....thus this glorious newfound freedom of speech and writing !

All this moaning about money. My childhood memory is of good players at St Just being haemorrhaged to Penzance because of the incentives the club offered in the days when it was regularly watched by 600-800. My childhood dream was to redress that balance...and for many years I did. In that universe, St Just are the plucky underdogs;David;300 Spartans,Luke Skywalker, Poland in 1939. Penzance become Goliath, King Zerxes, the Evil Empire, the Third Reich.

There are all sorts of reasons why paying players can damage clubs....and all sorts of realities that indicate that, sadly, amateurism has its glass ceiling. Both Goonhavern and Mousehole achieved success by building a consistent side without money...but both have hit hard times since. I'm paying nothing into St Just at present because I think the club and I mutually agree that it is better that I do not. But I would never support any policy that impoverished the club itself and would, if asked, help it out if it ever faced the kind of hard times penzance seem to be facing.

Does your club have anybody equally reliable in the long term, St Justice ? :D

As I said you are one of the reasons money is rife in the combo league! Congratulations that must make mother proud.

I know you’re getting old Rodney but you seemed to have missed players Meds, Fraser and Bellers to name a few. I won't even bother to name the players from the old SW League you used to pay stupid money to play in local derby games.

The only reason you are not paying money into St.Just at present is because quite wisely they tried to get rid of you. I wonder why?

As for moaning about money didn't you start this post?

After reading the last few posts on here, it may be me but i am a little confused to what is actually going on at Penzance after xmas??

Are they losing all there money or not?? If they are i am sure the majority of ther team will not stay there after all im pretty sure half the team are not there for the love of the TEAM!!!!!

After all............... money talks!!!

Guest chinner

I have to say rodney your full of IT,you say St just never payed players,ok.Unless i saw another father christmas lookalike im sure it was you up at blaythornes last year chasing frazer cadman for the hundreds of pounds you gave him to sign on for st just and im sure it was you who chased shane richards for the money/boots you gave him too when he signed.i know you mentioned your 50 odd years of age so maybe thats your problem,your minds going.your one of if not the main reason so many players get payed and cornish football is worse off for it at all levels.im sure nicky medlin,gary bell,frazer cadman,shane richards.matt harris and the many others are very gratefull for the thousands of pounds you handed out in wages and taxi fares,WELL DONE.as for st justs vast trophy collection,yes you done well but at what cost.St just are a much better club without you,lads like the curnows are real ST just boys not you MATE.

St Darren is correct. Mr T suggests that I paid rabbits: there's something in that . Some players ofer better value for money than others, at all levels of the game. St Justice, even if I used to be a senile, mother-dominated, mentally retarded halfwit who was entirely responsible for corrunpting the Combo with filthy lucre, I am not doing so at present. Has it become a paradise of Cornithian amateurism as a result ? I was at Perranporth last week: I think not !

Yes, St Just are doing very well "without me" and nothing could please me more. Whatever I "did" has "cost" them nothing. Credit as always is due to the players and the management.

Harris makes the excellent point that all this hot air is irrelevant to the initial posting. This is not about me, it is about the dangers of insolvency at Pz.

What is happening at Penzance after Xmas ?

A source from within the club tells me that the money for players is being significantly reduced, if not stopped outright, because there is insufficient budget to carry on as they have. I've found the lack of transparency from the club worrying. I hope, along with no doubt most supporters , that players will remain loyal. It would be a shame to see a successful season torpedoed because the blessed money drives out club loyalty. It would be helpful if players were prepared to declare that and set the minds of others at rest.

St Justice, even if I used to be a senile, mother-dominated, mentally retarded halfwit who was entirely responsible for corrunpting the Combo with filthy lucre, I am not doing so at present.

Rodney 'entirely responsible' is taking it a bit too far but don't try and kid anyone, you are still 'a senile, mother-dominated, mentally retarded halfwit'. Your posts prove that!

Thank you, St Justice. Your wit, as always, is quite overpowering, but somwewhat beside the point. Mother sends her love. My bed in the psychogeriatric wing at Courtlands has already been booked for next Tuesday.

More to the point, Have you or anybody else found the money to enable the Magpies able to keep their team together ?

YES or NO ?

Bit worrying to see the Magpies down to fifth in the table. I did hear Trevor Mewton was leaving after Xmas. There you are. Roy Keane also said he wasn't going anywhere last weekend. :smiley20:

....and the surest sign that players are about to become unpaid will be a brief, stern, cursory word in the dressing room telling them not to listen to rumours, read websites etc. There will be a statement of fulsome confidence today !

Players are intelligent people. OK, there are exceptions, James, but in general, they know when the bottom is about to drop out.

"Penzance AFC would like to pers-, I mean reassure everybody that there are no financial difficulties whatsoever and you will get paid, honest, and your manager's going nowhere It's time to put all that out of your mind and concentrate entirely on events on the pitch. Come on you Pinks !"

Rrrright ! ;)

Save this: then there will be no need in the New Year to put up with me telling you "I told you so". :c: