Cornwall Football Forum

Throgmorton Cup

Guest Dermot

Godolphin 3. Porthleven 1. H/T 2.0

Scorers.

Godolphin. P Lowry 19, S Whealdon 32, L Paxton 88.

Porthleven. P Robinson 48.

Crowd.60+

Well Reffed by Mr Spence and his Assistants Mr Buscombe & Mr Masters. :clapper:

Guest ajlongcallington

Foxhole Stars 1 (Philip Hobbs) Callington Town 3 (Mike Norman 2, Paul McAdam)

This game had everything, good goals, controversy, and three sendings off that were all justified but did not reflect the general game at all - strange as that may seem. Both the first and second red cards came after the referee and/or linesman had missed firstly an offside (before the Stars keeper Ryan Holland was rightly sent off) and a tackle before the retaliation by Dennis Mason that was rightly punished. The last red card, almost on the final whistle, was a combination of infringements by Richard Griffin - which eventually wore the referee down.

That aside, the game was a good advert for Peninsula football - two teams who asked and were given no quarter. Two cracking goals from Mike Norman and a poachers goal from Paul - and a late strike from Philip that was a little too little too late for the home side.

For us, it was our fourth win on the bounce and sets up the mouth watering tie of welcoming Saltash United to Ginsters Marshfield Parc for a good old fashioned local derby. Can't wait!!

Well done to Micky and the lads - and also to our seconds who caused a major upset with a 3-1 victory at St Stephen who are currently top of the Premier Division - also their fourth win on the trot. Great for our thirds as well as they overcame previously unbeaten North Petherwin 4-3 at the Marsh 2.

I watched the Game on Sat Alphington v Clyst.

First time seen Lloyd play since last season. Thought he was outstanding for 60 mins, then like rest of Clyst team tired very quickly and Alphington who played very well through out really came on strong and fully deserved to take game into extra time. In fact in my opinion they were robbed of a penalty right on full time, when player went down in box looked to me stone wall pen, but some you get and others??

Going back to Lloyd, he not only scored 3 but provided superb pass for Clyst's second goal as well. He was the difference between the two sides, everything that was good in Clyst's play came through him.

Lloyd is one of the best midfielders for his age I have worked with. People tend to forget he is only 17!! He looks mid twenties and plays with a composure and quality beyond that.

Was very impressed with Alphington they worked tremendously hard and created many chances to have won the game out right.

Could not understand though why Alphington did not Man Mark Lloyd, Stop Lloyd and you stop Clyst, He got the ball off back four time and again and was allowed all sorts of time and space to knock some lovely balls around the park.

I'm sure the Clyst Management know what a fabulous player they have, but they certainly have nothing else, and can see them struggling in the bottom half of table. They tried to play and were constantly encouraged to play from the bench, but unfortunately apart from Lloyd they just did not have the quality to do that.

As a neutral it was a great game, full of committment. and very nearly a shock result.

Also must add, having seen many games this year at grounds all around the Country, have sampled a few half time refreshments, pasties etc, and Thought Alphington's were as good as any!!

Maybe should write Good food guide to tea huts at football grounds in Devon and Cornwall!!

Best Wishes

Steve Massey

Hi Steve, good to see you participating on the Forum.

While mentioning young midfielders - the one that caught my eye early in the season, well in fact in the League's first game of the new campaign was Dartmouth's Sam Churchill. I think he's ex-Exeter or Torquay, you can probably correct me on which club, but have you seen him play - haven't seen his name mentioned much since?

Hi Dave, Hope you had an enjoyable Holiday and Look forward to seeing you at a game somewhere in the county soon.

Sam Churchill was a player who impressed last season when playing for Dartmouth. He starred in their win against us and looked like a real good prospect. So much so that I put seven days notice of approach in for him during the following week.

After speaking to a couple of managers who he had played under, I decided not to follow it up. That did not stop him though announcing in the local Torquay Newspaper that he had turned down a big offer from Falmouth to stay loyal with his club.!!? Dartmouth's Manager then had a real pop at me in the same article, saying " Massey thinks he can sign people by offering them loads of money, My player as shown that its not all about money and we are all pleased he as decided to stay with us"".

No Doubt at all He managed to get a pay rise from his club and it Just goes to show that By NOT EVEN SPEAKING to the player, never mind putting an offer to him, that by using The Seven days notice of approach to his club, the player had manipulated the situation to his own benifit, and good luck to him!!.

It is certainly not the first time that has happened when chasing a player, and won't be the last.

Sam had a spell with Sean Joyce at Bideford and showed lots of potential, but the opinion was he had to get much more consistency into his game. Sam spent most of the time on the bench and when the chance came to play regularly with Dartmouth it as certainly benefited his game.

He is a talented Boy who had a good grounding with Torquay United and it does not surprise me that you picked him out, He certainly is another young player with lots of potential.

Thanks for your comment about the Forum, I always enjoy reading the topics when ever I can, and thought it was a "spur of the moment" occassion when replying about Lloyd.

I will notch another Ground off on my travels tomorrow, when I will visit Chippenham to watch what should be a cracking F.A. Cup replay against Truro, and another opportunity to try out their catering facilities!!

Regards

Steve Massey

Appledore 2 dobwalls3

By all accounts a bit of a fiesty game.

Dobwalls had the better of the first half scoring twice.

Appledore drawing level just before the end only to lose out in extra time.

Did anyone watch the game, if so what was your opinion on the outcome.

I believe Dobwalls play host to Bodmin in the next round?

The complete draw for the Second round is:-

Tuesday 14th October

Buckland Athletic v Ivybridge Town

Clyst Rovers v Royal Marines

Friday 17th October

Cullompton Rangers v Plymouth Parkway

Falmouth Town v St Blazey

Saturday 18th October

Axminster Town v Budleigh Salterton

Callington Town v Saltash United

Dartmouth v Witheridge

Dobwalls v Bodmin Town

Elburton Villa v Holsworthy

Galmpton Gents v Torpoint Athletic

Liskeard Athletic v Penzance

Newquay v Penryn Athletic

St Austell v Buckfastleigh Rangers

Tavistock v Launceston

Teignmouth v Stoke Gabriel

Wadebridge Town v Godolphin Atlantic

Guest ajlongcallington

Some great local derbies in the next round - along with our clash with Saltash, I notice Tavistock v Launceston, Axminster v Budleigh - and not forgetting Dobwalls v Bodmin and Wadebridge v Godolphin - should be a good Saturday!!

Sam Churchill was a player who impressed last season when playing for Dartmouth. He starred in their win against us and looked like a real good prospect. So much so that I put seven days notice of approach in for him during the following week.

thats not like you steve???!!!!!!!!!