Cornwall Football Forum

West Country clubs in the Pyrimid

With Bristol City missing out in the play off to the Premiership today I can now list the clubs from the West Country( Cornwall/Devon/Somerset/Avon/Dorset) in the Pyrimid ladder.

For Season 2008-09

Premiership ------------------

Championship......... Bristol City:Plymouth Argyle

F.L.Div1...................Bristol Rovers:Yeovil Town.

F.L.Div2.................Exeter City.AFC Bournemouth.

Level 1 Conference..Torquay United.Weymouth.

Level 2 Conf.South...Bath City:Team Bath.Weston-super-Mare,Dorchester Town.

Level 3 Southern(P)..Clevedon Town;Mangotsfield United.Tiverton Town.

Level 4 Southern(SW).Bridgwater Town.Paulton Rovers.Taunton Town.TRURO CITY.

Level 5 Western(P)...(Devon clubs) BarnstapleTown,Bideford,Dawlish Town.Ilfracombe Town,Willand Rovers.

Level 6 SW Peninsula (Premier)

Level 7 SW Peninsula (Div1 (East/West)

Level 8 JCCL/ECPL

Guest Gloworm

I thought clubs based in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire were also West Country clubs (Swindon, Cheltenham etc).

I could be wrong.

With Bristol City missing out in the play off to the Premiership today I can now list the clubs from the West Country( Cornwall/Devon/Somerset/Avon/Dorset) in the Pyrimid ladder.

For Season 2008-09

Premiership ------------------

Championship......... Bristol City:Plymouth Argyle

F.L.Div1...................Bristol Rovers:Yeovil Town.

F.L.Div11.................Exeter City.AFC Bournemouth.

Level 1 Conference..Torquay United.Weymouth.

Level 2 Conf.South...Bath City:Team Bath.

Level 3 Southern(P)..Clevedon Town;Mangotsfield United.Tiverton Town.Weston Super-Mare.Dorchester Town.

Level 4 Southern(SW).Bridgwater Town.Paulton Rovers.Taunton Town.TRURO CITY.

Level 5 Western(P)...(Devon clubs) BarnstapleTown,Bideford,Dawlish Town.Ilfracombe Town,Willand Rovers.

Good to see both clubs just promoted to Level 5 (Wellington and Sherborne) south of Taunton. Could be lonely in Western Div 1 for Elmore next season! Surely they will apply to transfer to SWP before much longer

Level 6 SW Peninsula (Premier)

Level 7 SW Peninsula (Div1 (East/West)

Yes it looks as if Elmore have missed their opportunity to join the Devon/Cornwall SWPL as I think it is now full up to its maximum quota.

Elmore will be the only Devon club in the equivalent level 6 Western League Div.1 which is now more orientated to the East, centralised around Bristol.

Their nearest opponents being out of County, Minehead and Bridport.

Saying that,If they are ambitious for Western League Premier it would be easier to reach from the League they are in now rather than progressing from the SWPL(P).

I thought clubs based in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire were also West Country clubs (Swindon, Cheltenham etc).

I could be wrong.

Just my interpretation ,but when I reach Gloucester I feel I am in the Midlands and if I got to Swindon area it would seem closer to London.

Probably because I live in the deep South West.

Guest Peppermint

I agree with you Mike that Cheltenham and Swindon are not really West Country. Having lived in other parts of the country it is surprising to learn that some people don't realise that there is anything beyond Bristol!

CTB-For Cornwall.

Senior football has been contested since 1892/93 in the form of the Cornwall Senior Cup being played in two divisions East/West.

In 1906 a West Cornwall League was set up to replace Friendly matches but it was so disorganised it didn't last much after 1910

The Cornwall Senior League came into existence in1930-31 season to give the clubs more fixtures but almost the same opposition as the CSCup.

Prior to the SWL a number of clubs flirted on and off with the supposedly higher Plymouth and District League (Truro City;St.Blazey;Newquay;Wadebridge;St.Austell;Liskeard;Saltash.Millbrook and Torpoint) all had a go.

There were number of Junior District leagues? 1902 St.Austell; 1905 Mining(the oldest still functioning); 1908 Falmouth; 1908 Bodmin; 1920 West Penwith; 1927 St.Columb Minor: ??? Helston, ???Liskeard: ??? Truro and District etc.

In 1961 The Falmouth and Helston Leagues amalgamated and 1965 the Duchy league was formed from the Bodmin;Liskeard and St.Austell District Leagues. The West Penwith League was absorbed by the Mining League in ????

With the onset of the new age South Western league in 1951-52 the involved Cornish clubs wanted out of the Cornwall Senior Cup League set up.

To the dismay of the CCFA they found a Football Association Rule which said that No County F A can force a club into a league(which in effect the CS Cup was)-From here on the C S Cup became a knock out system which fell in line with the rest of National County Associations.

Renamed the 'Duchy' Cornwall Senior League in 1951 it continued until 1958-59 mainly of SWL reserve sides and other progressive clubs.

This then led to the West /East split- Cornwall Combination League 1959 and The East Cornwall Premier League 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

I have ammended the listing of 'West country Clubs in the Pyrimid'

With the reprieve of Weston-super-Mare and Dorchester Town these clubs have been reinstated back to the Blue Star (Conference) South (Level 2) after being relegated to the Southern League Premier (Level 3).

This due to Nuneaton Borough going into liquidation and Redditch United switching to the Blue Star North League.

Guest Luffy

Shame to see that Nuneaton Borough have gone into liquidation, remember watching them back in the early eighties when they used to visit Rockingham Road home of the mighty poppies (Ketteirng Town). This was when the only way you could get into division 4 of the league was being elected.

Always sad to see clubs go out of business. Leaves the community with a void. Let’s hope someone will resurrect them in the future.

Shame to see that Nuneaton Borough have gone into liquidation, remember watching them back in the early eighties when they used to visit Rockingham Road home of the mighty poppies (Ketteirng Town). This was when the only way you could get into division 4 of the league was being elected.

Always sad to see clubs go out of business. Leaves the community with a void. Let’s hope someone will resurrect them in the future.

They already have - "Nuneaton Town F.C." have been formed and placed in the Southern League Division One Midlands (i.e. same level as Truro City).

--

Richard

Guest Luffy

They already have - "Nuneaton Town F.C." have been formed and placed in the Southern League Division One Midlands (i.e. same level as Truro City).

--

Richard

Good to hear

What an incredible loss of Nuneaton Borough, they were always one of the better clubs in the old Southern League and didn't do so bad in the FA Cup. Their liquidation came as no surprise and they are now going to be in the Southern Division One (Midlands). This really is a football mad town and it is such a shame. Again its all about money. or the lack of it.

I loved going to the Borough and especially Kettering Town to do some scouting as it always felt like a proper football club.

What an incredible loss of Nuneaton Borough, they were always one of the better clubs in the old Southern League and didn't do so bad in the FA Cup. Their liquidation came as no surprise and they are now going to be in the Southern Division One (Midlands). This really is a football mad town and it is such a shame. Again its all about money. or the lack of it.

I loved going to the Borough and especially Kettering Town to do some scouting as it always felt like a proper football club.

I think to most people who weren't really involved with Nuneaton that it was a big surprise.

It was only 12 months ago they sold their fantastic old ground (allegedly for a sum in 7 figures) and moved in to the new Rugby Ground.

It appears to be more about financial mis-management (allegedly!) rather than a pure lack of money.

--

Richard