Cornwall Football Forum

what do we want to see happen in the Combo league

What does everyone think should be done to help improve the Combo League :- clubs to improve playing surfaces, changing rooms,showers,ie truro city for all the money they spent on players and you play on a stoney beach and no cuppa tea half time,,,lol, is there no min standards to adere too,,,,,lol,,chicken sheds to change in "we all know were they are " and were has all the respect gone !!!!!!!for the people who have kept teams in this league and football going in cornwall who is the longest serving manager/player/trainer/referee ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,come on we all moan about em,,, but cant manage without them,,,,lol,,,,everyone is a ref watchin but a diferent story if asked to become one so why not become a ref ????? do you think you could do better ??????? well have ago ,,,,all you Combo clubs should have a public say in wat you think and then we can move forward,,,,,,take all the good points and add some extra good ones up date the league get some or create some more interest what do you all think???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Postie Pidge

Falmouth Town to win everything! If you want to see it, why not approch a league official and put it to them? The Supplementary Cup Final at Helston on Sunday should be awash with officials who do work hard to keep everyone happy.

Well, no one can moan about puncuation in that thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I would like to see introduced, is that players can't play for another club and sign on for a different Combo club. Ie: play for Newquay in the Peninsula and then St Day in the Combo.

Guest Monty

Instead of paying players or so called monies for teams, why not put it towards training equipment and personal kit for the players and also put it towards the club in laying on refreshment for players and officials etc after the game.

Attitudes of players would change on a whole if you put money back into the club by making them look smart on matchdays and have the equipment to train well (fees for all weather pitches during winter months). Also you have to look at the Ladies and youth setup because that says alot about a club and will keep the club going for years.

And also not play all the finals and semi finals at Porthleven, Spread it around a bit more so all clubs can benefit.

:c:

OK postie you are a prime candidate what have you contributed " Falmouth town to win it all" WOW ?? think of what has happened with TRURO CITY if you want to watch them every week how far in a season will you have to travel ??????? and how much will it cost and to watch them play at home the pitch is terrable so good football has gone to an extent lets keep all games in Cornwall inprove the newquay pitch st blazey pitch penzance pitch etc why dont the cornish ccfa match pound for pound ground improvments with some of the cash it has in the bank ,,,,is it not true they are very rich ????

1. The League Cup and Sup Cup played on a home and away basis.

The prelim rounds of the league cup to be played in September and 1st rounds in October so the prelim round of the Sup Cup can be played in Dec/Jan.

Only S-f and Final to be knockout stages.

2. Teams not to be given a choice to refuse midweek matches at grounds with floodlights.

3. More Friday evening games or perhaps the odd one on Sundays.

4. If a team plays an ineligible player in a match then they should be docked a fixed number of points not just the ones they gained in that match.

4. The Combination League to appoint a Press Officer to deal with the papers, websites, etc to keep everyone informed to stop the rumour mill.

5. Perhaps an Intermediate Cup to be launched between the JCCL and ECL Premier. This will allow the reserve teams in both the chance to play teams from the other end of the County. Instead of the Evelry Cup being just a one-off match it could be the cup the teams play for.

6. A fair play league for the Combo

7. Referees reports to be looked at especilly about club linesmen. If a club is consistently poor as far as linesmens standards the club is officially warned then if that does not solve the problem the club are either fined or docked points.

8. A 2nd division with the best of the Mining and Fal/Hel Leagues making up numbers with automatic promotion/relegation between each division.

CTB

well done the Cornishteddyboy a bit of sensible input come on where is Darren he was the only one to congratulate David Fisher on his years of service to Perranwell every one else put it down MR Deacon for one how would you improve it all ,,,,????? were are you all sensible ideas for a real good topic ,,,

Guest Postie Pidge

Vinny, I was kidding - chill out!

CTB some very good suggestions. If the League and Sup Cup were played over two legs it would cause fixture congestion with 20 teams (38 league games) and even more so with an Intermediate Cup.

Postie- With regards to the referee report forms there is a part where the referee can mark the assistant already so a bad mark could indicate a bad assistant.

As a referee I would like to see team sheets for all games. Would make things so much easier when administrating cautions and sendings off in a senior league.

Postie ,,,,How about this then,,,,,Reduce the number of teams in the all the leagues for not reachin the min standards or breakin the rules,,,,,less Clubs means more difficult to get a game on a sat so you have to stay loyal to your club or you dont get a game ,,,,, transfer windows twice a season ,,,,, less teams means cup games between clubs ,,abit like uaffa and europeian cup played week nights under lights all clubs will want to get lights a good way to get clubs to improve grounds,,,,,,i played Combo football 20yrs ago and some of the grounds have not changed since then clubs committees need to work to improve the standards of pitches and facilities to attract youngsters to cornish football or we will loose a great player to game boy ,Xbox,drugs, etc this is were the cornish FA needs to support clubs with justified improvement ideas we ALL need to work together to MAKE it happen,,, Well done st Agnes i allways see some effort to improve the club there Shame all those ###### rugby people are there only jokin,,,,lol

Guest postman pat

great idea about 2nd division but the problem of facilities would keep cropping up because most of the top junior teams play on council pitches and we all arn't as fortunate as portreath :P only joking meady :lol:

if the standard of facilities were better in junior football then this would be a great idea but!! having tried to trawl through the F.A.s vision for the next 4 years i will not hold my breath.the politicions will also have to get on board to stop selling off playing fields so that there are better facilities at junior level.

with more and more children and women getting involved in the game this problem will only get worse.whilst we are encouraging more and more people into the game and rightly so, we are just creating a bigger monster that politicians and the F.A. will have to sort out. :c: this is just not a problem for the combo league but football in general <_<

not sure about a second division but automatic relegation is a must . the league goes stale when the same old poor sides keep getting voted back in every year . how many leagues are there out there with no relegation . bottom two down for me every season . replaced by one team from mining one and one team from fal-hel one .

Sammo, that's exactly what happens now - IF there are teams in BOTH Falmouth/Helston and Mining Division who CORRECTLY apply for promotion and fulfil all other criteria. No relegation this season because only one team applied (Portreath) and they replace Truro - who've moved up with no-one dropping down from SWPL.

yes i understand that john but it would be easier if it was automatic . you dont have to apply for promotion from mining two to mining one you are just promoted same with most other leagues . imagine west brom winning the championship and then being told they couldnt go up . all im really saying is it could be made easier than it is now.

not sure about a second division but automatic relegation is a must . the league goes stale when the same old poor sides keep getting voted back in every year . how many leagues are there out there with no relegation . bottom two down for me every season . replaced by one team from mining one and one team from fal-hel one .

i completly agree with that mate

i play at tms as you can tell by my username and i understand its not exactly the old trafford of cornish football but if we can change and have showers in it then so can the likes of port and helston so why should that hold us back from being promoted?we have finished in the top 3 every season we have played in mining 1 so as a club we believe we could hold are own in combo but will not get the chance until are changing rooms are sorted which i think is unfair :(

Combo is senior football.

If you had automatic promotion from Mining League or Fal Hels League then the standards are going to drop, I don't mean playing ability.

Pitches need to be roped off, thats fairly easy to do.

Decent changing facilities with showers. this is where a lot of sides lack, ok, there are some dodgy combo ones out there, but they've got in the combo league before things were introduced maybe! TMS need bigger changing rooms with more than one shower per changing room.

I agree its frustrating for those wanting to go up, but I feel the combo needs to keep the standards up. As do SWPL and further up you, thats all part of senior football.

The mining league need to introduce standards, then clubs will get themselves sorted out ready to make the jump if they can.

Well said st darren. Its bad enough going to some places already in the league in the middle of winter as it is without making easy for clubs with poor facilities to get in. Never had the pleasure of playing at Threemilestone and cant say Id want to if its that bad. The ambition clubs like TMS have to gain promotion is great but I agree a certain standard needs to be held!

CTB makes many a good point as does St Day about club funds spent on players wages and not the club itself !

My particular problem is with clubs refusing to play midweek games because they are not used to floodlights or dont want to risk playing a Reserve side midweek in case they load up with first team players.

Newquay are forced to play two thirds of their games in the first six weeks and last six weeks of the season and then get very unfit mid season playing only 2 or 3 games a month. Truth is we do not use first team players because that just drives away 2nd team regulars !

I think we should record starting 11s not just naming substitutes.

We should be proud of this league and the way we can support 20 sides each year. Nearly all other leagues struggle with much fewer sides. CTB should make some formal recommendation to the league; whatever those channels may be.

Clubs should have to pay a set fee to register a player mid-season and then you will see far less players jumping ship. Why not £50 - £100 instead of the current fee of (i think) £2. I have played with AND against one player who has represented 4 or 5 different combo sides in 2 years! A transfer window could not work but the structure of cornish footy is weakened by the lack of consistency and loyalty in players and managers. Money is the route of some of that evil...but there are plenty of players who think the grass is always greener and damage clubs by walking out on them willy nilly.

Junior versus senior footy. Sorry boys, you should sign for one club only. Why on earth does the FA allow junior footy to be unsettled by allowing players to play for mutliple teams ?

Guest Meagundo

I think that some great suggestions have been put forward but especially points docked for ineligable players because otherwise team will still do it if they only lose the points for that game as they may have lost the match anyway. Also i agree that players in senior football shouldnt b able to play for two teams like the example of newquay in the peninsula league and st day in the combo great points!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1. 2 divisions of 16 teams in each meaning 30 league games per season.

2. A cup for each division with the 1st rounds and Q-F played on a home and away basis. If a team reaches a final they would have played 6 games.

3. A knockout League Cup meaning a team reaching the final will have played 5 games.

Total maximum games 41 games plus any games in the Cornwall Senior/Junior Cups.

4. Reserve teams in the league allowed to enter Junior Cup but players must have played at least 5 games for the reserves before 1st round of cup played at say end of September. In later rounds of Junior Cup same rule applies must have played 5 games.

5. Non reserve teams in 1st Division in Senior Cup whilst non reserve teams in 2nd Division play in Junior Cup.

6. No reserve team to be promoted to the SWPL Div 1 West.

7.2 up, 2 down between divisions plus bottom 2 from 2nd division back to junior football.

8. A sponsored Fair play league for each division.

9. League AGM to be open to the public and not just to 2 representatives from each club.

ctb, you're suggesting major changes to Cornish football in general - not just the Combo! It really takes time for changes to happen: SWPL took 4 years to come to fruition and everyone was in favour of it: imagine how long it might have taken if there were objections! The next important change could be the proposed amalgamation of Fal/Helston and Mining Division. If this does happen, the promotion/relegation arrangements will need to be revised and perhaps made more definitive.