Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Official Statement

Once again unfortunate stories have appeared on various websites which have caused much conjecture concerning Truro City's Youth Development Program claiming that the Truro City have decided to disband the youth section from the club.

The club and myself would like to make it crystal clear this is untrue we are very proud of what has been achieved so far, we have been and have every intention in the future to fully support all our youth teams to us they are the future to our success.

We should look no further then last night at Radstock when Sam Cooper (17) made his Western league debut and was unlucky on the night not to of scored a couple of goals. Indeed Sam has come through our youth ranks playing for the thirds before moving into the Reserve side to which he has been a regular this season and he fully deserved his debut last night.

The club will address matters further at a meeting at the club on Thursday May 8th at 7pm, we encourage everyone involved with the youth to attend and voice your opinion's on how to get involved and how to take the Youth forward next season and beyond.

In summary once again our Youth Players are very important to us, they are the foundations of our club which we can't allow to be discarded under any circumstances. It is important to ignore all the gossip and untruth's that others have posted on websites and come and listen and have your say on the 8th Truro City Youth will progress and improve further.

Chris Webb Vice Chairman & Founder Of Youth Development

Moaning about comments on various websites.

The comments on here are mild compared to what is on their own "Fans Forum".

Once again TCFC seem to act before press statments, info are in place and these club statements then appear to be "knee-jerk" re-actions to what is being said/done off the field.

The club seem to be imploding.

Grammar not a strong-point. It's simple to discover who wrote the piece. The author makes the same mistakes on a regular basis. 'not to of' should read 'not to have'. It seems the meeting is to discover 'how to take the youth forward', one would think the club had already covered that angle??

Moaning about comments on various websites.

The comments on here are mild compared to what is on their own "Fans Forum".

Once again TCFC seem to act before press statments, info are in place and these club statements then appear to be "knee-jerk" re-actions to what is being said/done off the field.

The club seem to be imploding.

sometimes wish you would implod :glare:

Embarrassed....???

An Official from the Club takes the time and trouble to put out a statement to clear up the rumours and innuendos.

What is the response..??

Good for the future of Youth Football,

Glad someone from the Club has cleared that up,

Nice to have a statement from an Official source,

NO

The first response is one that is critical of a piece of grammar in the statement -

Unbelievable..!!

I don't think it is the Club that should be embarrassed.

Re quote from Chris Webb...........

'We should look no further then last night at Radstock when Sam Cooper (17) made his Western league debut and was unlucky on the night not to of scored a couple of goals. Indeed Sam has come through our youth ranks playing for the thirds before moving into the Reserve side to which he has been a regular this season and he fully deserved his debut last night.'

I have to just say well done to Sam Cooper from St Agnes AFC. Sam played at St Agnes AFC last season for our under 16 team and was part of the winning squad at the end of the season - previous to that I believe he was at Grasshoppers. I am thrilled that St Agnes and Grasshoppers youth development squads helped him along his way to joining Truro THIS SEASON! Well done Sam!

Guest postman pat

one thing that all contributors are forgetting is that yes some (most) of these players may have been cherry picked by the club,what about the children that have been introduced to the game. whilst not wanting to get involved in the Truro City argument surely the more clubs we have available for children in cornwall the better for the future of our game.even if Truro do pull out just think of all the qualified coaches that will be available to some of your clubs. :)

why in this country are we always quick to jump on the bandwagon and knock people down. can we not look for the positives from this situation and support the children because after all they are the ones who will lose out in the long run. as will our game that we all love so much. :c:

Postman Pat - my reply was not to do with jumping on the bandwagon - that is very not my way - I just think the comment by Chris Webb in using Sam as a credit to the Truro City Youth Development was perhaps a little mis-leading. He has only been at Truro this season as an Under 18 - he has obviously done really well and I applauded him in my comment and the youth developments at other clubs that he has progressed through to help him get where he is going whether it is at Truro City or wherever else!

Thank you to Ian from Horrabridge for filling in the rest of his youth development.

Sam is clearly a talent on his own and a credit to himself - well done Sam!

Guest postman pat

aggiemaid i was not having a go at you in person just the general direction of the thread.as someone who puts so much into local football as yourself should know,people in this country are too quick to knock anyone who suceeds but are much slower to get off their backside and do something about it.

what is it with this british problem that we have to knock anyone that suceeds.

perhaps this is why our national team are sat on their backsides this summer instead of playing.

whether you agree with truros methods or not you cannot blame truro for the lack of loyalty in players in general.from an early age their heads are turned by stories of players wealth and bad habits :SM_carton:

when a club like truro come promising? whatever their heads would have already been turned by the media.

in this day in modern football how many players stay with their local club from youth through to retirement,far fewer than move on. just look at wendron how many youth teams have they put out in the last 10 years.if only half of those players had stayed loyal they would have been challenging truro this season <_< and i am not knocking wendrons sucess because what they have achieved has been brilliant :thumbsup:

i am sorry if i upset you personally that was never my intention :D

as anyone who knows me knows my heart is in football and i give freely of my time for others enjoyment.well maybe the odd pint after the game :drink::c: :D

Guest City Legend

Aggiemaid - As you will know, I m an ex Aggie man, so I am not trying to stir the pot here but for the record, while Sam may well have represented Aggie at youth level, he also played the whole of last season for Truro Thirds and Seconds. It is not the case that he arrived at Truro this season.

Cheers!

Leg.

Guest City Legend

Nope - just stating facts young man. I played in the team with him last season, so I am a bit concerned that if it wasn't Sam Cooper he must have been some kind of imposter!

Leg.

Legend, Webby quotes in the statement, saying that "Indeed Sam has come through our youth ranks playing for the thirds before moving into the Reserve side" which obviously isn't true!!

He played for the thirds last season! he couldn't score past me though!!! ha ha

City Legend I think the point I made was that he had not as quoted come through the Truro City Youth Academy as stated - that's all - the lad is a credit to himself at the end of the day and has been wished well by Horrabridge and St Agnes youth sections as he moves on to adult football - he will do well wherever he goes which is all thats really important don't you think?

Will we be seeing you supporting Rob Stapleton with the other Truro boys on the 18th of May?

x x x

Guest City Legend

Darren - honestly, I don't want to get involved in all of the squabbles. It was sugeested that Sam only turned up at Truro this season. I am just pointing out that that isn't true because I played in the same side as him at Truro last season. Webby's statement said something about youth and the third team in the same sentence. I don't think that is untrue because essentially the third team was largely a youth side with the odd obvious exception. However, I can see why people might have a problem with what he has said. I'm not passing any kind of judgement on the youth situation at Truro until we get to meet with the club officials tomorrow night.

Leg

Aggiemaid - I'll get there if I can. I was hoping I might have been asked to play as an ex Aggie Legend and treble wining team mate of Rob's!?

Leg

it will certainly be a very interesting meeting that you have tomorrow night. I hope for your sake that things get sorted and Truro continue to have a good Youth section. They could be one club that has a youth section that keeps hold of players, rather than them filtering out to other clubs.

No squabbles intended. Just stating about Sam Cooper thats all!!

As I said, he couldn't notch past me though!! obviously, I wouldn't like to go one on one nowadays!!

• 2 months later...
Guest City Legend

Speaking to one or two people in the footballing fraternity, it would appear that some are a little confused as to the status of the youth set-up.

To clarify; Truro City still has a youth section but this is now being run by a voluntary committee. The youth will receive support from the main club but will be self funded.

The new Truro City Youth Football Club is administratively and financially independent with its own separate bank account but will maintain strong communication links with the club for the benefit of the children.

Chairman - Steve Bayley

Vice Chairman - Jacqui Lewis

Secretary - Mark Woolcock

Treasurer - Donna Powell

Ordinary Member - Simon Finn

Ordinary Member - Hilary Daniel

In partnership with the above there is also a Girls Committee headed by Rob Brandreth.

If anyone wants any contact details, please PM me.

Leg.