Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City Official Statement

Guest insider

Interesting times at Treyew .....

Does anyone have any info on who will take charge of the 2nd team now Trevor has been confirmed new PZ manager?

As taken from the Truro City official website:

TCFC OFFICIAL STATEMENT

I am saddened to announce that Truro City Football Club will not become a full-time team next season. The transition from becoming a part-time club to that of a full-time professional club was always going to be an enormous amount of work. The club has, over the past few years, created an infrastructure to support this ascension, however there has been a consistent thorn in our side; facilities. As a full-time club we would require a specific base suitable to deal with the rigours of full-time football, yet despite extensive work we have been unable to locate a suitable venue.

Obviously we were dealt a major blow when our own plans were rejected, but as a club we are adamant that with continued work – and aided by Cornish Homes – we will find something befitting requirements over the next 12 months. As a result our hand is forced and for the immediate short-term the club will continue in the same capacity it has since my arrival as Chairman. I would like to assure supporters that we are already in the process of talking to the players about next season, and I am confident that with our hard work and their support, Truro City’s first Southern League season will be a success.

Kevin Heaney

Truro City FC Chairman

16 April 2008 | 10:08:19

Returning to the Truro issue ..... did I dream the conversation I had on the way back from Corsham with a man very much in the know who suggested

1) they needed about 5 new signings for the "full-time squad"

2) there were training facilities already arranged and in place for when the players would be reporting back for the pre-season and as "full-time"

3) if the players weren't prepared to travel down for each day's training , they would have too relocate and move closer to Truro.

Sorry, but to me, everything seemed in place and the suggestion was that they were all geared up to go "full-time" - why at this late stage have things dramatically changed?

It does seem odd that pulling the plug on full time football at such short notice has come as a shock to everyone. What about manager Dave Leonard? The official excuse given seems to be a bit thin. What was it that has really caused this decision?. And will there be a mass exodus of players? I assume all will be revealed in due course.

We wait with interest.

The interest of an undertaker watching a sick man?

Now, I am not accusing you, ECPL, of "Truro-hating," but it does seem that a lot of the interest here is of the ghoulish sort. Perhaps that's just natural when any club stumbles -- others are there to help them fall.

Very disheartening, but the Club are still going up, there will still be a competitive nucleus, and there's still a lot to be excited about. Maybe this will mean a steeper learning curve in the Southern League, but that'll be a good chance for the true supporters to show their quality.

I think there could be a lot of "i told you so's" appearing on this forum within the next couple of seasons!

Things aren't right at Truro behind the scenes. They've obviously got things right on the pitch, but off the pitch there are major problems.

Who's in charge of what?

Guest Bunhill

Who's in charge of what?

You couldn't be more right if you tried St. Darren, on the pitch it's Fred Astaire off it it's Fred Carno, I'm afraid the wrong bloke has left the club and a lot of supporters are going to be very angry at Dave Leonard's departure.

Personally, I think Xembla is close to the truth. Of course not all fans will stay, nor players but... this has to be a fantastic opportunity for some bit-part and younger players to get into a side and make thier names. There's no reason Truro can't hold their own in the Southern League. they will have a hell of a job on but it might be best to do it this way than to have big fish in a small pond. Wait and see. Providing the club itself continues; they have hope. Now is isn't the time to give up and leave, it's the time for many to show they really were T FC supporters. I've been a tad critical in the past myself but are we not known to get behind the underdog at such times? Wait and see, give them a chance. One other thing; if Mr Heaney has decided or does decide he's had enough, someone else might appear. A chairman is a chairman after all. He isn't the only one. The most important thing is T FC survive at whatever level.

Someone on the Truro forum once said 'fans aren't bigger than the club', let's hope he was wrong. I think he was. Any fan is bigger than his club, without a fan there's no need for a club.

Guest TruroLad

because of the housing market ........

thats the reason i was given yesterday for truro city not going full time.

thats the reason i was told by a couple of people in the bar after the game, whether that was just pub talk or fact remains to be seen.

does seem a bit odd though that this happens the same time the housing market goes belly up.

What I can't understand is how people are surprised by all of this in coincidence with the housing market problems.

Mr Heaney is a property developer. He's not going to come into a business opportunity (Truro City FC) and just throw money away, he would have gone into it, looking at trying to get some money out of it somewhere. Treyew Road is a goldmine for a housing development, from the start he said we wanted to move the club to a bigger home. In doing this that would mean that he was hoping Treyew Road would be sold for housing or for a hotel. But as said on this forum 2 years ago, the land can't be used for houses for some reasons? not sure why?

Perhaps now its finally hit home that Treyew Road can't be developed for housing. So instead of going full time next season, they're going to take a year to settle at the level and sort things out off the field for a year.

My opinion on it, is that its the start of things going wrong and people raising doubts about what is going on.

I know this may sound a bit off the wall but with Plymouth Argyle appointing a Japanese Director because Argyle have gone in with a Japanese company, it has been raised locally once again that Argyle are waiting to appoint another local director and it is believed to be Mr Heaney. The rumours abounded before but Mr Heaney quashed them. What say you all.

What I can't understand is how people are surprised by all of this in coincidence with the housing market problems.

Mr Heaney is a property developer. He's not going to come into a business opportunity (Truro City FC) and just throw money away, he would have gone into it, looking at trying to get some money out of it somewhere. Treyew Road is a goldmine for a housing development, from the start he said we wanted to move the club to a bigger home. In doing this that would mean that he was hoping Treyew Road would be sold for housing or for a hotel. But as said on this forum 2 years ago, the land can't be used for houses for some reasons? not sure why?

Perhaps now its finally hit home that Treyew Road can't be developed for housing. So instead of going full time next season, they're going to take a year to settle at the level and sort things out off the field for a year.

My opinion on it, is that its the start of things going wrong and people raising doubts about what is going on.

Thanks St. Darren for being anohter person around that seems to agree with what most people know about "Mr" Heaney. As good as it would be for a cornish club to achieve Conference or better again league status, I wish Truro the best, but for that to happen they need an owner who is there to purely support that ambition, not having another motive of money making!

I beleive Mr Heaney has the ambition to do that with Truro. But he'll want something for his money, estimated cost to get to conference was goign to be £3m, he's wealthy, but I wouldn't have thought he'd want to just throw away that amount for nothing.

If Truro get their new ground, training facilities and a joint venture with the Pirates, then things coudl well start to happen